or Connect

Posts by R6Zack

Not sure it could be said any better than that sir.
Sir, I believe on this one, we must agree to disagree. I see your point, and I think the reason I put so much credit on Mise en place is because I had zero kitchen or formal culinary experience before jumping into the kitchen of a restaurant. I cooked at home, but it was sloppy comfort food cooking, zero technique. When I was taught mise en place it pretty much changed my whole demeanor regarding ingredients and cooking. My value for mise en place high on a personal...
 Just a thought... please, please no more chicken ceasar salads....     Amen.
We use some off brand ipod dock / station that does the job, as we have a very tight (cramped) kitchen. It has a aux plug as well, so even if you dont have an ipod, you can plug up your phone / mp3 player into it and listen to whatever.    I am quite jealous of your sub though, although if we had a subwoofer I'm sure we would get constant complaints from the dining room about the music, I feel we already push the border at times.
I'm not sure how it's not, it's an important part of kitchen work. If properly applied, it speeds up everything you do. It makes you quicker with recipes / prep work. It makes you quicker on the line because you know exactly where everything is, It improves all around performance, I would think that it would be a desirable ... skill / technique / trait / attribute.
First correction I'd like to make to the OP is that cooks do the cooking, chefs make sure the shxx gets done. If you think all there is to being a chef is sitting on a line and cooking, then please keep your culinary experience limited to reading books.   Secondly, I'm not sure that anyone is being negative, there has been a fair amount of positive and negative feed back given throughout these posts, I just think it's easier to pick out the negative.   Thirdly,...
We do our fried chicken to order, toss it in a batter then into the deep fryer, when it comes out it gets tossed in bbq sauce (optional of course) it is an under 10 minute item, depending on volume of course. If you have 80 open menus and 40 people order fried chicken, that 10 minute statement goes out the window.
One of the best things you could do, is to find a restaurant that will hire you, and get your ass kicked in a kitchen for about a year. After that year if you are still interested in culinary school and think that it's the right path for you, enter the program then. After a years worth of real world experience and a years worth of kitchen skills, you will soar through school, leaps and bounds ahead of anyone that doesn't have experience. The restaurant may even be...
Skills 1. Mise en place - I think this works hand in hand with "clean work station" so, that's why I made it number 1. 2. Keeping a cool head - It's a kitchen and shit is going to get rough, keep your head down and work through it. 3. Knife Skills - depending on which station / type of restaurant you work in. 4. Understanding ingredients.  5. Proper rotation of food items - I know this one SHOULD be common sense, but we've all seen it. Knowing to use the oldest...
I'm not FOH but I am 100% guilty of doing this to the FOH people if they are in my way in the kitchen. I'll have empty hands and come behind them yelling SHARP, HOT, FULL HANDS, SHARP, HOT!!! Just so they get out of my way. We do have a very small kitchen though, and for some reason some of the FOH staff wants to just stand aimlessly in the middle of the kitchen, right in our way.