or Connect

Posts by druehocker

I am managing a kitchen that has recently started to pick up in volume. Some quick background, I took a line-cook job to make my first step into a kitchen and since have taking over as manager. There is no head chef per say, I guess that would be me, except I refuse that title this early in my career. Anyways, its a small local place that is in some need of organization so that we can succeed as we grow. We have 5 guys in the kitchen that share prep cleaning and cooking...
1 - Cut fries (skin on) and soak in hot water/vinegar for at least 10 minutes 2 - Drain and par-fry/blanch at 300 for 10-12 minutes 3 - Chill 4 - Fry at 375 to serve 5 - Season (we do parm, parsley, garlic and salt)   Since I've started working here, I judge all other fries so much more strictly.
I know the feeling.
Working in the Old Fourth Ward...   Thanks for all of the input. I struggle with patience, but probably need to exercise it a little bit better. Reading and a little staging will help me get ready for the next level I hope.
Don't think I saw Hugh Acheson on here yet... I love his focus on keeping things local, seasonal and bearing the community in mind. He seems very grounded. I second Grant Achatz and Stephanie Izard.
I've been in kitchens less that a  year, but became kitchen manager at my current restaurant after about a month of cooking on the line (we are a small 4 man cooking staff). I'm a hard worker and quick learner and picked up the menu and prep quickly and am eager to learn beyond the scope of my current position. On the flip-side I love where I am and understand its important to build a resume and am committed to staying put for some time. I am curious what resources chefs...
I finished a degree that I have never used, but am still happy that I did. I have edged people out for jobs because the completion of my degree shows work ethic and the ability to complete what I started. Finish it, I am sure you will find more benefit in the long run.
Sounds like I am in a similar boat. I started cooking professionally earlier this year. After the first two or three months the menu and prep became automatic. My knife skills and speed were fairly proficient from being a general food geek so I focus my mental energy on constancy rather than speed when preparing mise en place. Even if you are concerned about speed, I wouldn't risk shoddy work just to get your job done quicker.   The most important thing for me is...
I graduated with a Psychology BS in 2004 but have had a lifelong passion/love for cooking and food. I always knew I would spend my life in kitchens. Several months ago I completed my first stage and landed a line position at a growing Italian deli/restaurant/bar in Atlanta and have loved every second of it. Through a chain of events (and previous management experience) I found myself in the position of Kitchen Manager shortly after beginning.   I am eager to learn...