or Connect

Posts by elpelotero

The French Laundry cookbook is a very good resource. I also have the books for the CIA and the FCI schools, Jacques Pepin Complete Techniques, Escoffier, and get Larousse as well. I compare between all of these when researching techniques and recipes, and also look on youtube and such.   The good thing about the French Laundry book is that you get to see what one of the best restaurants in the world does as compared to what you'd learn in school (CIA book, for...
Thanks for the feedback once again.   I purchased the yanagi thinking I could use it for more purposes, but quickly realized it was solely made for sashimi. At the time I was doing sashimi style cuts at the restaurant, but I've come to realize a nice sharp sujihiki can pretty much do the same if your technique is decent, plus also do meat. Therefore, the reasoning behind going after a sujihiki.     Are these knives sold in stores anywhere, or are they solely...
I have a somewhat comparable story to yours and can shed some light on the matter....   Please don't take any of this as bragging, or negative towards you, or anything of the sort...I'm trying to state objective facts.    I've been in the restaurant industry since 2008. I have a Bachelor's in Business and a Masters in Hospitality/Hotel School. Since 2008, I've worked as a waiter at a Chinese bistro, done a management internship with Marriot and Hilton, restaurant...
The recommendations on the Konosuke keep making it look like the better and better choice...   Also, I noticed a spelling error on my behalf. I did not mean Hattori, but rather Hiromoto--which I've heard great things about, specifically the Hiromoto AS super slicer, which is possibly discontinued??? From what I hear it sharpens easily and holds the edge for a long time. That being said, thank you for the detailed info on the Hattori as I had read about them as well....
I have a Mac petty knife, 6 inches or so, that also was not a true 50/50 out of the box. It looked more like a 70/30. It was extremely sharp. After it lost its edge and I called Mac with questions about how to resharpen, they could not believe me over the phone that the knife did not have a true 50/50 edge.   I've had the knife about 2 years now with occasional use only (it's a petty, after all). It now has taken more of a 50.50 bevel. It's really up to you how to...
Has anybody tried at least two of these knives to compare?
Hello,     After reading reviews and recommendations on this site and others over the past couple of months, I've narrowed down my choices for a Sujihiki to Konosuke, Hattori, and Moritaka.  If there's something similar I overlooked, please let me know.     I currently have a set of Mac's which I enjoy greatly. They sharpen easily, are lightweight, and fit great in my hand. I'd like to get something which can take the edge of a Mac but to another level, and...
As to your second question, I don't know if it makes sense to re-burr on a finishing stone. Mind you, the burr was extremely small, but I could definitely feel something there that was gone when I deburred. I picked up the technique off of Japanese Knife Imports or one of those similar sites.   As to the first question, I use pressure on the upstroke and very light to no pressure on the downstroke.
So after some more research on "chasing burrs" and with your advice on how to feel for the burr, I was able to raise a burr on both sides of the knife, tip to bottom, on both the 1000 and 6000 stones. I also put some sharpie across the bevel, which at this point is about 1-2mm thick, and that helped with sharpening the tip. I deburred with a few diagonal light strokes on the stone and on a couple of corks. Then stropped on whatever I could find (in this case a cardboard...
Thanks for your response.   As for some more details, I soak the stone 10-15 minutes, or at least until bubbles stop. I flatten it each time, either before or after use, soaking the fixer as well.    I've also used the fiskars/mac rollsharp in the past and it sharpens well, but not factory edge splitting hairs and newspaper.    I've seen so many videos and gone to Korin's sharpening demos so many times that I've gotten bored/frustrated. I think the issue has...