or Connect

Posts by Minas6907

You certianly can use silicone for molding chocolate, but polycarbonate is a much better option. Detailed chocolate scupltures involve much more then just a mold, alot of those pieces have much ingenuity behind them on the part of the chocolatier. I think most chocolatiers wouldnt want to use a ceramic mold. I cant comment too much on the cakes, but I sort of have a hard time seeing all those subtle details coming through a cake, not to mention batmans pointy ears would...
As much as I love the classical look of a white jacket and apron, ive switched to all black. I save my whites for special occasions.
Hi Chris, I do appreciate your response.   Refractometers are instruments for measuring the amount of dissolved solids in a solution. They really are used for jams and jellies, this ensures your putting out a consistent product. Automatic Temperature Compensating refractometers are not uncommon. You definitely would use it during boiling, along with, or as a more accurate replacement to a thermometer. Something I've been doing for a few years is collecting videos on...
Line the counter with plastic wrap Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
To me, thats looks like a cream ganache thats just been applied and still a bit fluid. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
@ChrisBelgium I wouldnt say that its theoretical. You actually are able to measure the brix during boiling. The sample put on the prism will cool sufficiently for you to get a reading. As for your question 'how do you proceed practically with your refractometer when starting a batch of jam?' Well...you dont. The refractometer is used almost like a thermometer. It tells you when its finished. You dont use it at the beginning of cooking. As for your second question about...
The amount of sugar added can vary, its not exact. I wouldnt nessesary say that its just for profit. The fruit pulp and sugar are boiled together, this dissolves the sugar, as well as removes water through evaporation. When you have a sufficient amount of sugar, it preserves the fruit mixture, hence, its called a preserve. The way you normally would measure the density of a jam/jelly/preserve/marmalade is with a refractometer, this instrument uses the brix scale. During...
I second the reccomendation above for the Victorinox. I just checked out the knives you mentioned on groupon, I wouldnt go for either. Get one good chefs knife rather then a three pack, no matter how awesome guy fieri makes it look. Check out amazon for a Mercer Renaissance 8" chefs knife. Its pretty decent given the price of $45, otherwise go with the Victoinox. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Hi Tyson   I missed that third link. So theres a few things. Those are pate de fruit, but what makes you think they would be firm like the Haribos? You cant go just by the look on the outside. Typically, after the pate de fruit mixture is boiled, its cast into a frame, allowed to cool, and then cut into squares. Then they are dredged in sugar. The ones in the link are not done that way. After boiling the pate de fruit mixture, its poured into a confectionery funnel, and...
Hi Tyson. I know what type of candies your trying to emulate, but the composition of the haribo jellies are different then pate de fruit. Pate de fruit is a boiled candy made with a fruit puree, and uses pectin as a gelling agent. Typical gummies (like the classic haribo gummie bears or your typical gummie worms) are a flavored sugar syrup that uses gelatin as a gelling agent. The gelatin give the candies a very chewy texture, contrasted with the supple texture of the...