or Connect

Posts by Minas6907

Flipflopgirl, I'm sort of having a hard time following. What was so horrible about the fondant? So it had not liquified completely? As stupid as it sounds, I'm having a hard time imagining the 'pus' you describe. As for the fondant, you wouldnt want to knead any confectioners sugar into it. Which book by Greweling were you using? It sounds like the standard textbook right, not the 'at home' edition? When making the cherry cordials, you would first make your fondant. Then...
I really would recommend that you weigh the liquid. When boiling sugar, it really is best to weigh everything, even water, you'll see in the book. For the fondant recipe, weigh 200g of corn syrup.
That was so backwards but so hilarious, I love how sad her basil looks, not to mention her explaining why you need all the oil, then instructing you to remove it. The comments on the video are also a hoot.
You would still weigh out 200g of corn syrup...does that answer your question? I'm not sure if I entirely understood it correctly.
Overall the difference in the new edition may not interest you too much. There's a more in depth discussion on chocolate panning, more recipes added to each section, and a new chapter specifically on american style candy bars. I had the older book, and go the new edition when it came out, just cause I live the subject so much, but you may not find it as useful. Also, by rhe same author, check out Chocolates amd Confections At Home, it covers the same subject, but many...
When I first saw this thread I was thinking @foodpump would be able to give a more in depth answer then myself, he does much more chocolate work then I do, not to mention I'm sure hes used all the chocolates you mentioned. I have used Guittard, but I believe it was the only the semi sweet french vanilla, and since that, I've been using Callebaut. As for an answer to your question, you definitely would want to use couverture when molding chocolates. It certainly is much...
Hi Sylvia. I am not familiar with that book, although I too had it on my wish list, given the low price and well known author. I did decide against it, after reviewing the table of contents and index, I felt I already had good books on hand. Personally, I do feel that Chocolates and Confections by Peter Greweling and Art of the Chocolatier by Ewald Notter are a bit more in depth. Notters book covers everything about chocolate, as does Grewelings, but Chocolates and...
I was thinking Andrew Shotts had a fondant recipe in his book...perhaps not. Heres one I use, It works perfectly, its from Chocolates and Confections. Bring 1000g sugar, 200g glucose, and 200g water to a boil. Keep the sided of your pan clean from sugar granules. Boil to 117c. Pour this mixture on a stone slab, and allow to cool undisturbed, cool until it reaches 50c. Agitate with a scraper on the slab until the entire mass crystallizes, about 15 min or so. Store in an air...
The fondant that comes in the wilton package is different then the fondant used for centers, like a peppermint patty or cherry cordial, they sometimes contain gelatin or other sabilizers to make it suitable for rolling onto a cake. Confectionery fondant acts a little bit differently, but I am curious to what degree the invertase will liquify the rolled fondant. After you make the bonbon, give them a good week and a half or two weeks for the invertase to do its thing, let...
It sounds like your pulled sugar is exhibiting cold flow when it shouldnt. What temp are you boiling to? What your formula look like? More then likely, assuming your taking your sugar to a high enough temp (around 315 f) you may have too much acid in your formula, making your boiled sugar excessively soft, and thus displaying cold flow when in storage. Are you using cream of tartar? If you are, add in only half as much and make sure to bring your sugar to 315 f.   On a...