or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

We've been cold this year too. 5 days over 90 so far, which is low for us. Tomatoes here like 90+ degree days. I'm still getting more tomatoes than last year due to earlier planting and choosing better placement of the plants. Tomatoes are coming, but slow. Peppers are coming, but slow. Only flowers on the cukes so far but the plants are doing well. Hardly any raspberries at all, but the plants are going nuts. Winter squashes are coming along now, getting ready to...
Yes. All that matters. You can't skip details in a recipe and expect the recipe to turn out. Follow the recipe and try a hand mixer or Hobart/Kitchen aid automatic mixer that can go faster and longer than you can by hand. A meringue needs to already be stiff when it goes on a pie.
Hi Alan. Opening a restaurant is about the hardest task anyone undertakes. A restaurant owner has to know about purchasing, production, warehousing, logistics, service, marketing, sales, interior/exterior design, maintenance, landscaping, accounting, human resources and so much more. That's all without even considering making great recipes. No other industry requires such a broad skill set to be successful. The first challenge in opening a restaurant is recognizing what...
The food scene here in Kansas City is getting all sorts of national attention. The town is exploding with high quality homegrown restaurants, and a bevy of James Beard award winning chefs whose proteges are opening successful restaurants left and right. We are close to lots of farms and have access to awesome pork, beef and produce. The chef driven restaurants in this town are well supported. Food & Wine's Best New Chef this year was from Kansas City, as was James Beard's...
The promise of a better standard of living from a higher minimum wage is a farce. Go to Washington. People working at their higher minimum wage live no better, probably worse, than those making the lower minimum wage in Kansas. Raise the minimum wage and it will just inflate the cost of everything else. It's a circle jerk. You make more money, but it costs more money for you to live because everyone else is making more money too and you have to pay for it, leaving you...
A union environment is awesome... if you are a crappy worker. It's still pretty good if you are average or below. It's really frustrating if you're a good worker, and maddening if you are an outstanding worker. Recognition usually has little to do with talent and everything to do with tenure. Leadership positions are usually filled by the people who have been there the longest instead of the best or most talented workers. What can you expect to learn? Inefficiency, how...
Sounds like an untapped market. If you have relations already at the factories, it might be really easy to get permission to sell onsite. Regulatory agencies have less authority on private property. The ordinances on parking, loitering and some of the other hurdles you might run into on city streets wouldn't apply once you are on someone's private property with their permission.
Just saw this post. I'm shocked. That was one generous, classy guy.
I work with a lot of restaurant owners, and have for years. Two classes every owner I've ever met wishes they would have had before opening a restaurant are Accounting and Marketing. They help you perform two of the most important tasks in running a restaurant, measuring/comparing your performance, and getting customers. Marketing is more important than anything you do in a restaurant, as an owner. If you can't get people through your door, it won't matter how good your...
Food truck success has a lot to do with city ordinances and city/county tax compliance. Some places are just complicated to run food trucks legally. I know a few food truck owners in our city, Kansas City, and there are several dozen that operate most days of the week. They had to lobby to get local ordinances lifted in different areas of the city just to make a living. I haven't seen ANY issues with the public having an opinion they are dirty or sub par. Quite the...