or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

Crab balls lightly roasted for texture then steamed atop a pan of homemade seafood stock. Season the stock with ginger, fish sauce, lemongrass, garlic and a little brown sugar. Just before serving add a squeeze of lime juice, mushroom slices, bean sprouts, shaved radish and some jalapeño. Ladle over some brown rice noodles.
 The only duty you have is to fulfill your promise to your guests. If a guest is conditioned to a demi-glace tasting a certain way, whether that way is thickened or reduced, that's what they deserve. Afterall, that's what they are paying for. If the industry has evolved to now label a veal reduction, thickened slightly with tomato paste as "demi-glace", and has conditioned guests to expect a richer veal flavor when they see the words "demi-glace", then that's the right way...
I own a service in St. Louis (and five other cities) that sends chefs into the homes of our customers for meal prep. We will be looking for a new chef soon for the St. Louis metro. We look for cooks who have big repertoires and experience with a lot of ethnic cuisines and some experience with special diets (like vegan, Paleo, etc) and nutrition, cooking from scratch. Chefs have to have very reliable transportation, a smart phone with a data plan, and experience using apps....
Sorry, I hit "Reply" before finishing. On reservations, many restaurants require a credit card to make a reservation, and charge a cancellation fee if you don't cancel at least an hour ahead of your reserved time. They require all members of a party to arrive before they seat a reservation to eliminate tables turning slower because guests are waiting for their party to arrive. They begin beverage service in the waiting queue, so tables waiting for their guests can get...
Missing the point. The point is that recipes are guidelines, not bibles, and names are there to guide the customer, not bind the chef.
If you know many Italian ladies, you know there are as many recipes for Alfredo sauce as there are Italian ladies too then, and they are all correct.
A chef that tries to force a market to accept his/her vision instead of creating an experience that matches the demand in the market is a chef that isn't a chef for long. Chasing away customers, any customers is just the first step of closing your doors. This has already been beat to death, but any chef that wants to be a successful businessperson instead of a famed cook, needs to worry more about what the customer wants than what they want to give the customer. Now that...
I wouldn't call a full veal reduction a "short cut" to making classic demi, or anything else with a roux. Using roux is the short cut. It takes more time and patience to do a full reduction, and has a more concentrated veal flavor. I wonder when the recipe police are going to start ticketing old Italian ladies for using heavy cream to make Alfredo sauce instead of bechamel, or adding garlic/not adding garlic. Sauce names imply a particular flavor or flavor profile. They do...
Food For Fifty by Mary Molt is another must-have reference book in my opinion. It is the single most important book for anyone who plans on catering events. In addition to the 1000+ recipes, it teaches how to portion and adjust portions depending on the time of day, type of guest, number of proteins/veg/salad/apps, and more. Awesome book.
I made family a priority years ago, before having kids and I don't regret it at all. It limited what I could do in the short term, but was worth it in the end. You can't ever have back the opportunity to spend time with your family. Your kid's "firsts" only happen once. It sounds to me like your family is a bigger priority than your ego. Good for you. Most "true" artists are ego driven and ultimately very selfish. Their accomplishments (and attempts at tgem) are the...