or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

I don't know about snails, but I'm putting up bird houses to see if I can keep the caterpillars and aphids off the tomatoes this year Might work for snails too. I also painted them bright colors to see if it helps attract bees.
The tomatoes and peppers I planted took a beating last night with the freeze we got. I'm hoping they'll spring back.
My herbs did really well last year. My tomatoes and peppers, not so much. This year, I'm planting a lot more herbs. I think I have 14 different types. I'm trying tomatoes again in a different part of the yard that gets better sun. I'm also adding a yellow tomato that did really well at local farms last year. Two jalapeño plants and one red pepper plant. I still haven't decided if I'm going to do some onions and some greens yet. There's a lot more I'd plant if I could get...
Exactly. I've worked with great CIA chefs and worthless ones. You should worry more about where you work than where you go to school. Experience trumps all.
Asking for opinions about particular schools is completely different that asking what the "best school" is. There is no "best school". You aren't getting a good answer to your question because the question is flawed.   As for the top schools, I have worked with and/or employed chefs from the CIA, Le Cordon Bleu, Johnson and Wales, Art Institutes, Scottsdale Culinary Academy, and several small programs, several from Johnson County Community College mentioned above. I have...
A good rule of thumb for staffing and production says that an average kitchen, with an average menu, should plan for each kitchen line employee to be able to produce about 25 plates per hour. Another good rule of thumb says that any single employee should only be responsible for 6 to 10 dishes, depending on the complexity of those dishes and how many components of the plate that one station is responsible for.   The more complicated the plates, the lower both...
The culinary scene in Kansas City is going nuts right now. There are more great restaurants around than you can eat at, and being in Kansas City, you don't have to pay as much as a major city like Chicago or New York. We have several James Beard award winning chefs feeding the talent pool with proteges who have been starting their own restaurants for years, and many other chefs who left Kansas City to train and came back to open restaurants. There has been a lot of...
When I do enchilada sauce, I don't use roux and I don't add water. It is tomato sauce, Chile sauce made from rehydrated and pureed dried chiles, paprika, cumin, coriander, real garlic, salt and pepper. The roux and water is essentially just "filler". It brings nothing to the sauce in my opinion and dilutes the tomato and chili flavors.
If you are hired to do a job because you have special knowledge or skill, then are not allowed to use that knowledge and skill to do the best job possible, you are in a no win situation. You do not owe an owner like that anything. Moreso, you are doing a great discredit to your resume by spending so much time at a place that has no chance to make it because the owner refuses to do what they should. You probably can't see it from inside the restaurant, but restaurants like...
Stews, soups and bread bowls. Get some locally made bread to cut the center out of, then premake batches of three or four stews and/or soups to serve in it. Fast, awesome, profitable.   Irish beef stew. Creamy chicken and mushrooms. Pale ale cheddar and broccoli. Minestrone. Clam chowder. She crab. Switch them up.   If you get some great recipes and the right equipment, you would have no need for a chef in the trailer. The stews and soups are batch made ahead of time...