or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

I wouldn't call a full veal reduction a "short cut" to making classic demi, or anything else with a roux. Using roux is the short cut. It takes more time and patience to do a full reduction, and has a more concentrated veal flavor. I wonder when the recipe police are going to start ticketing old Italian ladies for using heavy cream to make Alfredo sauce instead of bechamel, or adding garlic/not adding garlic. Sauce names imply a particular flavor or flavor profile. They do...
Food For Fifty by Mary Molt is another must-have reference book in my opinion. It is the single most important book for anyone who plans on catering events. In addition to the 1000+ recipes, it teaches how to portion and adjust portions depending on the time of day, type of guest, number of proteins/veg/salad/apps, and more. Awesome book.
I made family a priority years ago, before having kids and I don't regret it at all. It limited what I could do in the short term, but was worth it in the end. You can't ever have back the opportunity to spend time with your family. Your kid's "firsts" only happen once. It sounds to me like your family is a bigger priority than your ego. Good for you. Most "true" artists are ego driven and ultimately very selfish. Their accomplishments (and attempts at tgem) are the...
Friend that Cooks Personal Chefs is seeking talented up and coming chefs to join our family in the cities listed above. This is a part time position that can grow to full time as your client list grows.The hours are mostly Mon-Fri morning and afternoons with occasional Friday and Saturday parties you will have the option of accepting or not accepting. Parties pay overtime whether you are over 40 hours or not. To be a Friend that Cooks Chef, you must have the following...
If you are in the US, and you did the work with their approval, they owe your for your time. You don't need anything in writing. It is illegal in the US not only to "require" someone to work for nothing, but even to "allow" them to work for nothing with your knowledge. The only exception would be an apprenticeship.   If they knew you were doing the work, and especially if they expected that you do the work, they owe your for your time. They have to pay at least minimum...
This hasn't been mentioned yet, but I noticed you said you are pulling your chicken out of the same container you store other chicken in. Your chicken is too wet to start, that's why the breading is falling off. The first flour coat isn't going to get you the dry surface you need to make the egg wash stick. When the egg wash won't stick, the final breading won't stick.   Pre-breading and holding is always going to produce a better breading, but you can get it to stick...
Anything for a price.
Have you tried searching for a personal chef in your area yet? I have a service that operates in six cities and we do exactly this for one of our clients in St. Louis. Pureeing is really your best option in my opinion because you're going to enjoy the food more than you will a powder. A personal chef can come to your home to puree and freeze foods weekly, monthly, or whenever. Our service goes weekly so foods do not have to be frozen and thawed.    I suggest first...
You never want to do a 100% redo of a menu when you take a place over unless everything is awful (in the eyes of the customer, not you). You have to respect what the customers want, and what is currently working. They are the ones providing the money to pay your salary. If you are wanting to redo the menu just so it's "yours", you're in it for you, not the customer, and that's a recipe for disaster.   Obviously, it's impossible to recreate dishes exactly without a...
We've been cold this year too. 5 days over 90 so far, which is low for us. Tomatoes here like 90+ degree days. I'm still getting more tomatoes than last year due to earlier planting and choosing better placement of the plants. Tomatoes are coming, but slow. Peppers are coming, but slow. Only flowers on the cukes so far but the plants are doing well. Hardly any raspberries at all, but the plants are going nuts. Winter squashes are coming along now, getting ready to...