or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

Ahhh. The old, baseless "I betcha" allegation argument. Very compelling. Well thought out. Backed up with a MasterChef snippet. Well sourced info there. If you think the truffle oils with actual truffle in them are inferior, you probably haven't tried enough truffle oils to really be having this conversation. The oil is flavored by the truffle. Having the truffle in the oil longer imparts more flavor in the oil. Try enough truffle oils with truffle in them and without,...
No, that's not the same as an agave worm. Ridiculous analogy. Tequila doesn't get its flavor from the worm. Truffle oil DOES get its flavor from the mushroom. A mushroom in the oil isn't a gimmick, its a flavor source. As for changing the name, that would be more "accurate", but anyone who doesn't know that truffle oil is infused by truffle in the same way that chili oil, garlic oil or basil oil is infused and not an actual oil squeezed from the item, probably hasn't used...
I don't "experience a timing issue". My scallops have a proper amount of caramelization. I'm not trying to be snide, but the scallops in your pic simply aren't properly caramelized. I suspect because they didn't spend long enough in the pan to achieve a proper caramelization. Sous vide is not magic. It is par cooking. If a piece of meat starts at a higher temperature, and cooks for the same amount of time as if it were cold, it will be overcooked. Yours may not be...
Bringing a scallop to the ideal temperature before searing it would result in an overcooked scallop, unless you take it out of the pan before getting a good sear on it. Caramelization takes a certain amount of time to achieve. Thats just a matter of physics. If the interior of the scallop is already at 120 degrees, its going to be well over that by the time you achieve a good caramelization. No offense, but while pretty, neither of those scallop dishes above are well...
 Great advice. Second that. Being in a corporate restaurant is a good experience, but with limited room to grow. Find out what restaurants are churning out the executive chefs and chef owners in your area and do everything you can to get a job there, doing anything, even scrubbing floors. You will learn more washing dishes in a well run restaurant than you will as a sous chef in a poorly run one.
Anybody who likes truffles, and doesn't like truffle oil either hasn't had a decent one, or is just being pretentious in my opinion. I get that truffle oil is overdone, but declaring it crap is just as pretentious as putting it on everything you cook. There are plenty of crap truffle oils out there for sure, but that doesn't mean that truffle oil IS crap. It means you need to get a good one, made with a good oil, and learn how to use it, not "overuse" it. If its made from...
I'm not going but there will be a booth there handing out my business cards if I get them in the mail on time.
I haven't found a good truffle oil at Whole Foods. The only good one I've found at a grocery store was Roland brand white truffle oil. It has the piece of truffle still in the bottle, which is the only way to buy truffle oil in my opinion. They make a black truffle oil too but I haven't tried it. Another vote here for not cooking with it. Truffle oil is a condiment, not a cooking fat. I think its awesome drizzled around a hunk of lasagna and sprinkled with pepper flakes....
I've got my "little" herb garden out the back door from the kitchen too. I'm up to 14 herbs this year.
If you have any experience tiling, you should do them yourself. I did it at our last house. I went to a flooring liquidator and bought marble tile for $2.50 per tile. Screwed down green board, applied the tile with mastic and put on a stone rail on the front of the counter supported by a trim piece underneath, 1/4" spacing between tiles and fine ground grout. Water sealer over the grout. They looked great and cost me around $400 after I added a marble back splash. The...