or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

You might find them in short supply in some areas. There was a national beef recall that including veal bones this past week.
Not so much for school, but these books should be in every chef's library:   Food for Fifty by Mary Molt http://www.amazon.com/Food-Fifty-13th-Edition-Mary/dp/0136136516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394512228&sr=8-1&keywords=food+for+fifty   Chef's Book of Formulas, Yields and Sizes by Arno Schmidt http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Book-Formulas-Yields-Sizes/dp/0471227161   The most recent edition of the second was published in 2003, so its getting old, but it breaks down a...
Second that. If you can't get crab roe, it's not She Crab soup. I would only serve it when I have it. Trying to fool people, you run the risk of being outed and losing business even during the season when you can get the crab roe.   The second option would be paying to import it and bumping the price during the off-season, realizing you aren't going to sell as much, as should be the way when things are out of season.
Agree with Vic. The mobile site is clean and I get notifications on my phone already via my email. I use my phone on this site quite a bit. An app would only save me one click.
At your age, yes the degree will make your more valuable. Mainly since you aren't old enough to have had a lot of experience. If you are going up for a job at a restaurant against someone with the same experience and no degree, you'll have a big edge unless you fall prey to your ego.   Just don't make the mistake of thinking that a culinary degree is enough to get you a leadership position, or even make you a better cook than someone with experience. Experience trumps...
Not trying to be mean, and I'm not even one who is overly sensitive about tradition, but wouldn't it be fairly dishonest to call something "She Crab Soup", and not have the crab eggs in it?   I'm sure taste-wise, you could use some sort of fish roe, but that's like using imitation crab in a crab cake, sacrilege.
Agree with Debo. Finish your degree, THEN go into the bakery program.
Chain restaurants are not a bad stop for a cook, but they don't make a good destination. You're probably not going to learn a lot about cooking great food, but there are a lot of organizational skills you could learn there, assuming the one you are working at is run by the book. In a chain like Red Lobster, there is a written process for everything. Ask the Kitchen Manager if you can see the recipe book, help with inventory, checking in orders. See if you can observe...
Most recipes have you adjust the temp down 25 degrees for a convection oven while keeping the same time. I find the time usually needs cut down a little too. No two ovens are the same.
I soak it in Worcestershire, soy sauce, cracked pepper. Sometimes some balsamic vinegar too. Teriyaki is also popular. I suggest marinating overnight or longer. The longer you marinade, the more salt the beef will pull out or the mixture and the saltier the jerky.