or Connect

Posts by Brandon ODell

A union environment is awesome... if you are a crappy worker. It's still pretty good if you are average or below. It's really frustrating if you're a good worker, and maddening if you are an outstanding worker. Recognition usually has little to do with talent and everything to do with tenure. Leadership positions are usually filled by the people who have been there the longest instead of the best or most talented workers. What can you expect to learn? Inefficiency, how...
Sounds like an untapped market. If you have relations already at the factories, it might be really easy to get permission to sell onsite. Regulatory agencies have less authority on private property. The ordinances on parking, loitering and some of the other hurdles you might run into on city streets wouldn't apply once you are on someone's private property with their permission.
Just saw this post. I'm shocked. That was one generous, classy guy.
I work with a lot of restaurant owners, and have for years. Two classes every owner I've ever met wishes they would have had before opening a restaurant are Accounting and Marketing. They help you perform two of the most important tasks in running a restaurant, measuring/comparing your performance, and getting customers. Marketing is more important than anything you do in a restaurant, as an owner. If you can't get people through your door, it won't matter how good your...
Food truck success has a lot to do with city ordinances and city/county tax compliance. Some places are just complicated to run food trucks legally. I know a few food truck owners in our city, Kansas City, and there are several dozen that operate most days of the week. They had to lobby to get local ordinances lifted in different areas of the city just to make a living. I haven't seen ANY issues with the public having an opinion they are dirty or sub par. Quite the...
If I'm looking for an actual "recipe", I go to a trusted cookbook. The Internet is for inspiration because it's very unreliable for recipes. I've seen 4.5 star rated recipes that were so far off from even being edible, it was a joke, and obvious that the ratings were fake. It takes a lot less time to go to my bookshelf and find one recipe in one trusted book than it does to sift through dozens of crap recipes on internet sites to find one that looks like it's "probably" good.
I don't serve frozen corn. Compared to fresh, it's bland and tastes like a freezer. We get corn in our grocery stores from somewhere for 8 or 9 months of the year. The rest of the time I eat something else. Most the time, I cut it off the cob to serve it. With a little salt in the boiling water, it's great just boiled, but there is so much that can be done with it. I like to melt a little butter and squeeze in some lime or lemon juice and toss with the corn and fresh...
Probably just a coincidence. The only competitiveness or "jealousy" I've seen about cooking is between cooks, who either work at competing restaurants or are trying to work their way up at the same restaurant. There's no sense to me in someone being jeolous of the smells that come out of someone else's house. If anything, neighbors have always been more friendly when they know I can cook or if they smell something they like.
This discussion was never about "the best way to deliver" truffle flavor anyways, and no one ever commented or challenged one way was better than another except you tweakz. Nobody else is even discussing the point. Thats not what the thread is abiut. You are trying so hard to be offended, you are invented things to be offended about. You are the last person who should be criticizing how anyone else makes their point. Grow up.
Strikes aren't a good tactic to force owners to tip share with cooks, because you would basically be coercing them to break federal labor laws, which could be interpreted as extortion. You can't coerce someone into doing something illegal. The Fair Labor Standards Act regulates how tips have to be treated in a restaurant. The owners do not have the option of circumventing it. The FLSA states that tips are the property of the server in a restaurant. An owner may set up a...