or Connect

Posts by Mocoondo

I'm not aware of any prohibition, per se, against porous materials in a kitchen. In a past life, we've owned a couple of restaurants and I've had the opportunity to work with a lot of different health inspectors. I've never met one who had an issue with wood handled knives. Most higher end steakhouses have wood handled knives present. If porousity was that big of a deal, kitchen staff would have to work in the nude since all clothes are, to an extent, porous and can...
Get a white painted beater with the silicone scraping edge, and properly adjust your mixer.  There is a screw up under the neck of the mixer which you can adjust so that the beater is positioned correctly when in operation.  The adjustment screw is present on both a tilt head mixer as well as a bowl lift mixer, just in slightly different spots.  It is pretty obvious once you look under the neck.  Adjust it up or down so that the beater just clears a dime placed in the...
Quite a few of my knives are made by a small, family owned company in Chicago by the name of Maestranzi.  They operate out of a non-descript building and while not fully custom in the strictest sense (i.e. they don't measure your hand when you place an order), they will build to order anything that you want, from a large cleaver to a paring knife.  They are an Italian family who has been in the trade for about 90 years.  Their name is well known in Chicago culinary circles...
My personal feelings on the subject is to always buy the best you can afford. Over time, I have used everything from cheap $10 boards from Ikea, to midgrade bamboo boards, to a high quality John Boos board.  I never cut meat, raw or otherwise, on a wood board.  Instead, I always use a plastic board for that task, just to be on the safe side.   Our last board was a Winco which we still have and use as a backup.  They are commonly available where commercial kitchen...
Just a quick followup...I never envisioned I could find myself involved in so much drama over a cutting board, but the bottom line is that it appears John Boos Mandy is doing the right thing by me and there is now a plan in place to replace our defective board within the next few weeks when a production cycle occurs.  So for now, we patiently wait.  It took almost two months(?) back and fourth, but I think we are all finally on the same page.   Also, I would be remiss if I...
Not in the least bit.  Some of their products may be good, but the $279 cutting board I purchased split in numerous different places within 6 months.  Even though the board was treated every two weeks or so and never allowed to sit with water on it, it still failed.  Attempts to take advantage of the 1 year Warranty that the board allegedly comes with have thus far been futile.  Selling dealer says that they will not accept return of a cutting board that has already been...
Well, I do, and the Illinois Attorney General wants to hear from you. About 9 months ago, we purchased a large, maple end grain John Boos board from one of their authorized dealers. Paid almost $300 which is a lot of money for us. Several months into ownership, with light use and normal oilings, the board started cracking and splitting. It has continued to get worse ever since. It has reached the point where we are afraid to use it for fear of contaminating our food...
After two plus weeks of back and fourth emails, I am totally getting the runaround from John Boos relative to my defective, heavily cracked, 9 month old, $279 John Boos cutting board that is supposed to be under warranty.. Suffice to say, we will not be welcoming any future John Boos products into our home. Despite being very careful with the board, never getting it wet, and regularly treating it with food grade mineral oil every couple weeks, this is what we ended up...
 Just a quick update regarding my situation:  I have a maple end grain John Boos that I paid close to $300 for, well less than a year ago.  I treat it with food grade mineral oil regularly...every 2 weeks or so.  It has started splitting in at least three areas and on both sides. I have been in contact with Mandy.  I believe Mandy isn't in customer service per se, but rather a marketing representative, but anyway, it is nice that she is an open line of communication.  When...
I reached out to Mandy this week on my faulty Boos Block cutting board. She responded immediately and asked for photos. I hope they can make this right. Paying almost $300 for a maple cutting board 2 1/4" thick, I expected a lot more than wood splitting completely through the board after only a few months, I'll let you all know what kind of resolution I get. When I tried the www.johnboos.com website form, I got absolutely no response.