or Connect

Posts by GeoDude

I don't know how much shipping to Australia will cost or if this will fit your needs, but given the price you should give this a look.  
  Come now, tell us more!  What brand is the Gyuto?  Model name?  Some here want a chance to look at photos and drool over such a knife/dream....
Your suggestion sounds like fun.  Have any links to recipes for Moroccan dishes or the names of a couple of dishes I should look up?  I have some experience with tex-mex so I'm used to dumping on the pepper/chili powder/etc. to pick up the heat, but I could definitely use some practice with other types of spices.  And something exotic sounds like fun right now.  
Thank you very much for the advice and I didn't mind the long post a bit.  I think I'm starting to get the hang of this spice thing* but I will definitely try out that recipe and, as I said earlier, use it as a theme to improvise on.         *I made a simple single-skillet mushroom, carrot, and chicken [using left over boneless, skinless chicken breast] dish yesterday and played with the spices rather than using any set amount.  Just tossed a dash in here and...
Which cooking surface/types of pots and pans do you prefer to cook in?  Cast iron?  The pans with teflon non-stick that you find in every store in the country?  Stainless steel?  Cast iron with enamel or stainless steel with teflon non-stick?  Do you alternate but favor one over the others?  I'm curious to see what the community here thinks.   As for me:  My vote is for cast iron -- for now.  When I started cooking seriously I decided to get a cast iron skillet...
  I'm looking for an americana style stew and trying to avoid watery and bland, hence asking for advice.  And for the record, I'm looking for a stew but this is an almost entirely unexplored area for me given that I grew up in a 'soup home'.  Until I run across a cookbook that teaches techniques on how to 'build' a stew (or get enough advice here to hammer that out) I'm pretty much flying blind.   EDIT:  I realize that that last sentence invites cookbook suggestions, so...
I already commented in the review itself that the content was good, so I'll comment here on the format:   The multi-review format is very useful, in particular for someone new to the type of things being reviewed.  Digging around for books on Japanese cooking, for example, can be a very tedious process on Amazon because each review is generally centered around one book (and everyone has their favorite!) with perhaps a passing comparison to other books shoehorned in. ...
  Generally speaking, I like to use recipes as a theme that I can perform variations on to create my own dish.  This means figuring out how things work rather than just rote memorization of recipes.  (For example, how spices work.)  With that thought in mind, I want to learn to cook; that's why I'm here asking for advice on how spices work (for lack of a better term) and asking about techniques I haven't learned yet rather than just Googling another stew recipe.
Thank you for the clarification and I'm sorry for not being more clear:  I was off on a bit of a tangent thinking that deboning is a skill to learn.  I will definitely leave it on the bone during the cooking process.   In any case, I will take the suggestions and work happily with them:  Meat on bone, add a bit more of the spices and use some in the sauteeing process for flavor.  Something tells me I will be getting a lot of use out of my new dutch oven...   I'll listen...
  I'm a home cook and people split the cost of the ingredients with me.  Yes, I do sautee the onions, carrots, etc. first to get extra flavor.  I'm curious about the reason the flavors of the spices and herbs I put in there don't really come out.     To clarify:  I'm not asking if I should throw more spices in the pot, but if I'm using too small of a quantity of the spices currently in there.  At this point I don't know enough That said, yes, my process is a lot like...