or Connect

Posts by PeteBWhat

Hi all,   I threw together a recipe last night that I would love some critiquing of. The family really seemed to enjoy it, but it was my own concoction. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I could perhaps improve either the flavor or technique, I'd really appreciate it!   Steak with Apple Pan Sauce Apples 2 fresh apples, cored and chopped  1 heaping tsp light brown sugar 2 tbsp pulverized almond slices 1/4 cup brandy   Steak 4 strip steaks 1 cup beef...
We have a potluck holiday breakfast at work next Wednesday, and I'm trying to think of something interesting to make... I also have an hour and a half commute, so I need something that I can either warm up in a crockpot or electric skillet, or something that could be served cold. I do remember seeing a Julia Child recipe a while ago for apples and sauce between layers of crepes, so I'm considering doing a desert... Any ideas you all have would be great!
Hi all, I just bought my first set of stainless steel cookware last night, but I'm having some problems that I'm hoping some of you could help me figure out... I tried cooking an omelette French style, something I've been able to do flawlessly in my nonstick pans. This turned out to be a disaster, though. Half of it stuck to the bottom! I did let the pan heat up a few minutes, added butter, and put the eggs in as soon as the butter stopped foaming. Any tips for me on...
Thank you! 
mrdecoy, I'm trying to learn the same thing as well. I've only been at it for a short while, but I found the more I cook and read, the more I'm able to do things without a recipe. I've also found the forums here to be one of the best places to learn. I found Mastering the Art of French Cooking to be an incredibly good tool—not just for the recipes, but as ChrisLehr pointed out, as a fantastic culinary textbook as well.    Last night, I was making tortellini with...
Hi all,   I've noticed that many recipes for sauces with cheddar cheese also contain a small amount of worcestershire, and I've seen quite a few that have worcestershire and a pinch of dried mustard as well.   Is there a particular culinary rule or reasoning behind this?
Hi all -- hoping someone with a bit of experience can help me figure out what I did wrong tonight while trying to make cream puffs for the first time... Everything was fine when they first came out of the oven, but when they cooled, they started tasting a bit soggy and very eggy. I've been doing some research online and in some of my cookbooks, and I've seen suggestions ranging from piercing the puffs as soon as they finish baking and allowing them to cool in a slightly...