or Connect

Posts by laurenlulu

Agree, Pepin as well as John Besh and Alon Shaya. Not only only do their skills and creativity inspire me to be better, their humility gets my attention.
Whip cream cheese and extra fine sugar til fluffy (Mascarpone breaks when overmixed plus it's more costly), add melted chocolate and a little espresso powder if desired (enhances the chocolate flavor), whip longer then fold in Bettercreme/On Top or a stabilized whipped cream. Voila :)
Hi Brad, welcome to ChefTalk! Your photo looks delicious, there are many adults who cannot make a hollandaise so kudos for that! Never stop learning, never stop listening and never stop creating. Food is one of the few outlets that touches all of the senses and the creative possibilities are limitless.   If I were to offer a piece of advice as something I wish I had done, go to college and get a business degree before a culinary one. It will help immensely and carries...
It depends upon the result you are after, if you want a glaze that will harden like an icing I make a mock caramel flavor by melting brown sugar with butter and whipping in powdered sugar/vanilla.   If you are after something thin, transparent and shiny I make a traditional caramel and thin it with corn syrup (after cooking) to the consistancy I like. It's similar to turning a ganache into fudge sauce, the less corn syrup you add the thicker it will be, the more you add...
Damn, I'm in awe.
A couple of things to be on the lookout for as a baker.. Cheaper butters have a higher water content so will change the outcome of your product (though you use higher quality, others reading may not) and also with powdered sugars, not all are created equal. Cheap brands use a higher ratio of cornstarch to sugar and create a gritty frosting and a use beet sugar (cheaper) rather than cane. Dixie is the only one I trust.
A few things..   375 seems too high to me and for too short a time. Try 350 for closer to 40 mins and stick in a skewer or something similar to see if it's done.   Also, 1 egg does not seem like enough. 1 egg is what I put into a batch of cookie dough, usually cakes need more.   You also may have overbeat your batter and incorporated too much air into it but I'm hesitant to say that this is the cause because you mention gumminess which indicates it was undercooked.
I agree that baking is definitely science but exact measurements are not necessary.   I rarely use recipes, only intuition, and it works! Maybe it's because my aptitude leans more toward science than math (how a natural baker can suck at math is a mystery even to me), when I'm throwing ingredients into a bowl I automatically take into account outside variables like liquid contained in fruit, etc.   As long as ratios stay fairly intact for each type of product made, the...
You don't mention, do you add Cream of Tartar to your whites when whipping? The acid helps to stabilize them. Won't hold its puffiness indefinitely but buys you some time before deflation.
I agree, lessen amount of batter, lower your oven temp (our convection runs 25 degrees hotter than a conventional) and cook for a longer period of time until completely done.   In our oven I bake at 300 for about 20 mins.