or Connect

Posts by Pateachoux

Boiling water and fat, then adding flour sounds a lot like making a pâte à choux dough without adding eggs. I also use this process to make Pommes deTerre Dauphine, except I use chicken consomme instead of water. Hm...I've never thought to chill it and then roll it out to use as a pie crust. Interesting.
  As opposed to a fake one...
It has to be that your grandmother had magical baking powers. I know mine did.
The wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round...  
I believe that is what I said from the very beginning...  
One of these days I'm going to try cheddar on apple pie. I read a lot about it one day when I was as bit obsessed with studying apple pie. It seems to be popular in the northeastern U.S.  I'm still not too sure about it, though.
  I learned this technique from an advanced pastry chef at school. She's won several gold and silver medals from the American Culinary Federation (for whatever that's worth). Before taking her class, I never used bread flour to roll out dough, only AP flour. It might just be a little eccentricity of hers, but I do notice that I can now roll out dough like a champ, but that might just be due to proper technique, tons of practice, and a new and improved can-do attitude. The...
Because BREAD FLOUR will not leave as many small lumps of flour on your dough as AP flour, and next time you want to quote me, do it correctly. I only used all caps to emphasize the word BREAD. :-)  
Isn't that what I basically said? lol! ...and actually, it doesn't take an experienced 'tarte or quiche' (<------since that's the main subject here...tarts and quiche...) baker. I learned this method from my grandmother when I was like, um, ten. Also, any INexperienced baker can learn lots of things from...gasp..the internet!
There's no need for knives, food processors or pastry cutters. Use your fingers. Toss the butter in the flour, then break it up until it's the size of peas. Use cold butter or shortening and ice water. There's also no need for spatulas or spoons. Mix the dough with your hands. It's messy, but it works. Knead the dough right there in your bowl, making sure you fold the dough over on itself several times, but not so much that the fat melts. As someone else already said,...