or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

The point is simply this, wines we consider good to drink have a pleasant taste. When those that do not (say a wine with little or no flavor) adding them is to dilute flavor not enhance it. It is not possible to make truely great food without good ingredients. Most "cooking wine", the ones specially manufactured for cooking, are poor substitues for the real thing. I suspect their comprised of esters and questionable artificial ingredients. Real food is not a facimile.
Pernod is not a wine but is a brand name for a strongly flavored anise liqueur. I know some chefs use the liqueur when preparing oysters.   Wines that I prefer to cook with are the same wine I would drink with the dish. Not all these wines need be dry. Marsala used in various veal dishes tend to be sweet as in Marsala all'Uovo - Italy's famous fortified wine from Sicily’s coastal city of Marsala. In regional cuisine, choosing a variety of wine from the region is not only...
Cabbage was on sale. I leaned out some thin slices of a Boston Butt roast, and cut them into ribbons for the protein. I prefer peanut oil, it takes the high heat. Stir fry shredded cabbage, slices of one onion until cooked but not browned. Brown the meat on very high heat, tossing until all red is gone. Add a tablespoon each of Garlic-Black Bean sauce and an equal amount of oyster sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar caramel, crushed red peppers, minced ginger, a glug of...
Birds love tomatoes. They also eat a lot of nasty critters too.
Finely shredded red cabbage, slices of red radishes, a slice of avocado, chopped cilantro, Pico di Gallo, stripped of fire-roasted poblanos (skin-removed, cut into thin strips), crumble Queso fresco. Accompany with lime wedges, and fire grilled Mexican onions*** and Chiles Toreados ( do both at the same time on the Barbee or grill.) Chiles Toreados can be made from jalapeños or Serrano chilies. There is no better cheese than Queso fresco for this purpose, I think its...
Cane or Beet may be used to make granulated sugar?” A discussion of both of these can be found on:http://www.dixiecrystals.com/sugar-101/cane-sugar-vs-beet-sugarDixiecrystals makes this important statement:"Pure cane sugar is non-GMO. Dixie Crystals does not use genetically modified plants in any of our pure cane sugar products. Beet sugar can be derived from genetically modified plants. The U.S. does not require labels to designate whether the sugar is derived from sugar...
The way you learn anything is by learning. Hard to learn "a taste" unless you first taste it. Choose what your MOST interested in. Find a highly rated place that serves the food you want to learn.   You'll never be a great chef unless you use great ingredients. As a cookbook author, I highly recommend books. These great chefs have great book recommendations. Try them!
The King of All Spices Azafran, Saffron is the worlds most expensive spice at it adored for it aromatic aroma. I have had both Iranian and Spanish premium versions that are made entirely from just the red stigmas. If you see thread of yellow stamens they add weight but no real flavor. The premium stuff has no yellow stuff. I use this for Spanish paella, Italian risotto, French bouillabaisse, and Iranian rice. I usually pay about $6/ gram ($170/ounce). I found 106...
Expensive European Mayonnaise that come in Tubes   I was used to Best Foods (aka Hellmann's West of the Rockies)) but when I moved to Italy, only names such as Thomy Delikatess, Calve, Triglia were available that are small tubes and quite expensive. Their flavors are excellent. Thomy is Swiss and very good. French (Benedicta) and German (Van Wijngaarden) versions also contain some mustard. Thomy is also available in larger jars but depending where you buy it, it can be...
Chef BDL  gives a good jumping off selection of vinegars. One should NOT be afraid of anything in the kitchen, even a failure is a lesson. Are you acquainted with the French Chef Laura Calder, who has her own cooking show. This recipe for Vinegar Chicken uses a whole cup of white vinegar. This is an ancient recipe is and one of the great poultry dishes from the area around Lyons, France. Many French Chefs, including the great Ferdinand Point, deglaze their pan with white...