or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Cane or Beet may be used to make granulated sugar?” A discussion of both of these can be found on:http://www.dixiecrystals.com/sugar-101/cane-sugar-vs-beet-sugarDixiecrystals makes this important statement:"Pure cane sugar is non-GMO. Dixie Crystals does not use genetically modified plants in any of our pure cane sugar products. Beet sugar can be derived from genetically modified plants. The U.S. does not require labels to designate whether the sugar is derived from sugar...
The way you learn anything is by learning. Hard to learn "a taste" unless you first taste it. Choose what your MOST interested in. Find a highly rated place that serves the food you want to learn.   You'll never be a great chef unless you use great ingredients. As a cookbook author, I highly recommend books. These great chefs have great book recommendations. Try them!
The King of All Spices Azafran, Saffron is the worlds most expensive spice at it adored for it aromatic aroma. I have had both Iranian and Spanish premium versions that are made entirely from just the red stigmas. If you see thread of yellow stamens they add weight but no real flavor. The premium stuff has no yellow stuff. I use this for Spanish paella, Italian risotto, French bouillabaisse, and Iranian rice. I usually pay about $6/ gram ($170/ounce). I found 106...
Expensive European Mayonnaise that come in Tubes   I was used to Best Foods (aka Hellmann's West of the Rockies)) but when I moved to Italy, only names such as Thomy Delikatess, Calve, Triglia were available that are small tubes and quite expensive. Their flavors are excellent. Thomy is Swiss and very good. French (Benedicta) and German (Van Wijngaarden) versions also contain some mustard. Thomy is also available in larger jars but depending where you buy it, it can be...
Chef BDL  gives a good jumping off selection of vinegars. One should NOT be afraid of anything in the kitchen, even a failure is a lesson. Are you acquainted with the French Chef Laura Calder, who has her own cooking show. This recipe for Vinegar Chicken uses a whole cup of white vinegar. This is an ancient recipe is and one of the great poultry dishes from the area around Lyons, France. Many French Chefs, including the great Ferdinand Point, deglaze their pan with white...
I once saw Martin Yan of "Yan Can Cook" wack garlic with the flat of his Chinese cleaver. Certainly it would be hard to be more effective than this but, while I own two Chinese cleavers, clean-up seems an over kill. A while back, while making a sauce, I tried the same trick using a tomato-paste-can bottom. First wack removes the skin, second wack breaks up the garlic well enough for cooking. If your using the tomate paste anyway, there is nothing extra to clean up.
I have a nested set of strainers. Each are suscessively finer. Unfortunately, I did not find a set like that sold as a set. It took a real effort when I was buying these but today you can see these on the iNTERNET:   http://vollrath.com/Wire-Mesh-Strainers-1920.htm    
In Chinese Gastronomy, the authors Hsiaang Ju Lin and Tsuifeng Lin speak to the harmonious "marriage of flavors". Their second chapter is dedicated to "flavour". Perhaps this is the book you are thinking of? The Chinese have perected their art for 5,000 years while I...I am still in the stone age!
I worked for Lockheed Martin in San Jose. The cafeteria was run by the Marriot Hotel. In 9 years, I have gotten sick there three times because of unsafe food handling by the staff. I also ate off a Mexican food truck for 11 years without even getting sick. Eventually the truck was shut down because it did not pass code.Can you draw any conclusions from these data. Not too much.I can say that if a place makes me sick, I am not going to want to eat there. I am sure our...
Not counting the meat, fowl, fish or shell fish, I like to have most of these ingredients ON HAND. I tend to cook extemporaneously so I may not have everything planned but with these ingredients I can coble together fairly good flavors. I do keep a supply of Thai and Chinese noodles as well.   # Chinese Essentials Comments Brand(s) 1 Jamine Rice Fragrant Long Grain aka Hom Mali - “good smelling” Elephant Brand Golden...