or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

What is gravy flour?   I mention this as many people have never heard of it. Wondra Flour Gravy Flour) (General Mills 1963) This finely milled all-purpose flour may be added to hot liquids without getting lumps, so it's good for making gravies. Wondra Flour and Shake & Blend are popular brands. Wondra’s wheat flour has been pre-cooked in a process called pre-gelatinization and then dried; this coupled with its low-protein content allows it to dissolve without seizing...
Lobsters molt and they can do this mostly at certain times of the year but it varies according to temperature and the species. If the lobster you are about to buy has give in the shell or is soft do not buy it. The colder the water the better the lobster.   I lived on the pacific at a spot where lobsters were plentiful. I never caught a soft one. I never cooked one that was dead. Lobsters have an antifreeze and will stay several day alive even at 4 degrees F in your...
A great cookbook captures a lifetime achievement of favorite recipes and lessons from a lifetime of exceptionalism. The author has captured sensational meals and stories from many sources. Maybe their family had generations of haute cuisine as part of their development. Great cooks are born with an exquisite palette, which, coupled with experience, make their dishes the substance of dreams. The world is fortunate that those with special talents leave behind a record so...
I adore the smell of truffles. As these are precious, I spent 25 Euro to purchase an Italian stainless-steel shaver for the purpose. Because this is such a delicate mushroom flavor, I want to insure that the truffle is not overwhemled by what it eat it with. For me, lightly scrambled farm-fresh free-range chicken eggs with truffles does it. Williams ans sonoma have an affordable shaver ( http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/truffle-shaver/) for $19. Truffle oil? Drizzle...
Interesting enough, in Alaska halibut is plentiful and costs less than cold-water cod. I prefer cod as it is moister than halibut. Homer, on the Kenai Peninsula, is home to the sport fishing halibut fleet. A 300+ pound is not an unusual size for the larger females. They can reach up to 15ft in length and weigh up to 700lbs and can live for 50 years. Bring on the fish fry.
Elephant Stew   1 Elephant, Chopped 40 gallons prepared Gravy 2 rabbits (optional.)   Cut elephant into bite size chucks. Cover with gravy and slowly simmer two weeks. Serves 4600. If expecting more people, add the rabbits. A word of caution, however, since some are rather put off to find an unexpected hare in their stew.   original author is unknown  
Your question is apples and oranges. Fine Spanish food has little or no resemblance to Mexican cuisine.  Mexico has 31 states and the regional food differs from one state to the next. "Tex-Mex" is regional Mexican-American cuisine that uses US available ingredients patterned after Mexican cuisine.     The best way to learn to appreciate, and then cook these cuisines is to learn to eat the food. Not only will the experience be pleasurable but you will learn what the...
I cook a whole variety of cuisines and I can hardly think of one that does not feature some sort of hot sauce or hot condiment. Individually, chilies take up the most room my self of spices. Most of these are from Mexico, Peru, Chili, New Mexico, or California. Some are from Spain, India, Thailand, or China.   Sauces in Mexico are often very complex. My enchiladas sauce features many chilies (Ancho, Guajillo, Mulato, Morita, and mild New Mexico chile) with differing...
Artisal Bakery Artisal Cakery Artisal Cakes
To learn Chinese and Thai, one must eat authentically enough to learn what to cook. You must receptive to new ideas and not base your choices just on previous experience. Sometimes a recipe will lay flat without dimension on a written page and yet be a treasure. I have had many Asian mentors as many of my peers not only knew the food but cooked it at home as well. Dim sum restaurants are restaurants with roaming carts that have a tremendous assortment of many of the...