or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

I think a little sauce would be nice and you might consider watercress salad.   Here is the recipe from my book.   Orange Sauce Bigarade   Bigarade (French for "bitter orange) is a classic brown sauce for roasted fowl. Bigarade sauce usually combines an enriched stock, drippings, orange and lemon juice, blanched orange peel, and Curaçao, or Grand Marnier, or triple sec, or Contreau.   Juice from 1 orange Jest of 1 orange, finely chopped 1 cup Veal, Chicken or...
well said
Gussy’s Southern Smothered Fried Chicken   Gussy’s recipe was one of Gussy and Ethan’s favorites. They were from the Deep South and took care of the family children in my childhood. Gussy was the cook but this was Ethan favorite meal.   Truly, this dish has the flavor of the Deep South. Once my guest have had this, they request it every chance they can. Oddly enough, although this result is totally outstanding, I have never been to a restaurant with this on the...
A French approach is always nice. A sweet white corn soufflé with classical poached salmon steaks in Court Bullion would be good along with fresh parsley baby carrots in sweet butter. Garnish salmon with finely chopped chives.   Serve with a Sauvignon Blanc.   Start the meal with a small but elegant bowl of lemoned Vichyssoise soup.   Lemoned Leek and Potato Soup (Vichyssoise) The culinary origins of Vichyssoise, if French or an American invention, is debated...
What is gravy flour?   I mention this as many people have never heard of it. Wondra Flour Gravy Flour) (General Mills 1963) This finely milled all-purpose flour may be added to hot liquids without getting lumps, so it's good for making gravies. Wondra Flour and Shake & Blend are popular brands. Wondra’s wheat flour has been pre-cooked in a process called pre-gelatinization and then dried; this coupled with its low-protein content allows it to dissolve without seizing...
Lobsters molt and they can do this mostly at certain times of the year but it varies according to temperature and the species. If the lobster you are about to buy has give in the shell or is soft do not buy it. The colder the water the better the lobster.   I lived on the pacific at a spot where lobsters were plentiful. I never caught a soft one. I never cooked one that was dead. Lobsters have an antifreeze and will stay several day alive even at 4 degrees F in your...
A great cookbook captures a lifetime achievement of favorite recipes and lessons from a lifetime of exceptionalism. The author has captured sensational meals and stories from many sources. Maybe their family had generations of haute cuisine as part of their development. Great cooks are born with an exquisite palette, which, coupled with experience, make their dishes the substance of dreams. The world is fortunate that those with special talents leave behind a record so...
I adore the smell of truffles. As these are precious, I spent 25 Euro to purchase an Italian stainless-steel shaver for the purpose. Because this is such a delicate mushroom flavor, I want to insure that the truffle is not overwhemled by what it eat it with. For me, lightly scrambled farm-fresh free-range chicken eggs with truffles does it. Williams ans sonoma have an affordable shaver ( http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/truffle-shaver/) for $19. Truffle oil? Drizzle...
Interesting enough, in Alaska halibut is plentiful and costs less than cold-water cod. I prefer cod as it is moister than halibut. Homer, on the Kenai Peninsula, is home to the sport fishing halibut fleet. A 300+ pound is not an unusual size for the larger females. They can reach up to 15ft in length and weigh up to 700lbs and can live for 50 years. Bring on the fish fry.
Elephant Stew   1 Elephant, Chopped 40 gallons prepared Gravy 2 rabbits (optional.)   Cut elephant into bite size chucks. Cover with gravy and slowly simmer two weeks. Serves 4600. If expecting more people, add the rabbits. A word of caution, however, since some are rather put off to find an unexpected hare in their stew.   original author is unknown