or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

I have a nested set of strainers. Each are suscessively finer. Unfortunately, I did not find a set like that sold as a set. It took a real effort when I was buying these but today you can see these on the iNTERNET:   http://vollrath.com/Wire-Mesh-Strainers-1920.htm    
In Chinese Gastronomy, the authors Hsiaang Ju Lin and Tsuifeng Lin speak to the harmonious "marriage of flavors". Their second chapter is dedicated to "flavour". Perhaps this is the book you are thinking of? The Chinese have perected their art for 5,000 years while I...I am still in the stone age!
I worked for Lockheed Martin in San Jose. The cafeteria was run by the Marriot Hotel. In 9 years, I have gotten sick there three times because of unsafe food handling by the staff. I also ate off a Mexican food truck for 11 years without even getting sick. Eventually the truck was shut down because it did not pass code.Can you draw any conclusions from these data. Not too much.I can say that if a place makes me sick, I am not going to want to eat there. I am sure our...
Not counting the meat, fowl, fish or shell fish, I like to have most of these ingredients ON HAND. I tend to cook extemporaneously so I may not have everything planned but with these ingredients I can coble together fairly good flavors. I do keep a supply of Thai and Chinese noodles as well.   # Chinese Essentials Comments Brand(s) 1 Jamine Rice Fragrant Long Grain aka Hom Mali - “good smelling” Elephant Brand Golden...
How I learned was I ate at many authentic Chinese places with Chinese friends. This way, you learn what you like. Secondly, I had a Chinese give me a tour of the Asian markets so I began to know the basic ingredients.   The chef's above have given some great advice. More than one person mentioned high heat. I have a super stove with a 34,000 BTU burner, which is better than most homes have. The restaurant has a 100,000 BTU or even hotter. Food can become fragrant when...
We can only go so long then we need to eat Chinese. Thank God I have a decent pantry size because it does takes a lot of different ingredients.   I see from my picture, the captions on the liquids are a little hard to read: Marin, Mushroom soy, black soy, black vinegar, seasoned rice wine, and Hot toasted sesame oil.   It is best to have your ingredients together ahead of time. Soak the fermented  black beans in water to rid some of their salt. Mix a tablespoon of...
“Blackstrap” molasses Those that live on Oahu are well versed in the smell and products of sugar cane. Children chew the raw cane as a treat. Before the cane is harvested, the fields are set ablaze to make the cane easier to harvest by burning off the outer leaves, which are useless having no sugar-content. The fire also drives out the sugar cane spiders, which are as big as your fist. When they show up in my bathroom, I would run like hell. The whole island smells like...
I have never tasted anything by any cook that tasted like vomit. Some thing very wrong!
Retiring meant downsizing the house. The kitchen became less than half of its former glory. Many items previously at hand, were relegated to the garage or appliance closet. The mixer, perched in the closet precariously on a slide-in-shelf, means moving it needs to be justified against the effort of doing without. The value of a special tool became under scrutiny especially in light of the fact that storing it in the garage often meant moving one of the cars out of the way...
  Vic Bergeron, owner of Trader Vic's restaurant, in San Francisco, brought rumaki into 1950~1960's dining culture. He claimed these toothpick skewered hors d'oeuvre came from Hawaii, with Chinese roots and a Japanese name. These were a favorite of mine when my dad took us to Trader Vic's in West Los Angeles. These are easy to make and batch cook in quantity for guests.     Skewers             3 inch bamboo skewers or toothpicks, soaked in cold water for 20...