or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Your question is apples and oranges. Fine Spanish food has little or no resemblance to Mexican cuisine.  Mexico has 31 states and the regional food differs from one state to the next. "Tex-Mex" is regional Mexican-American cuisine that uses US available ingredients patterned after Mexican cuisine.     The best way to learn to appreciate, and then cook these cuisines is to learn to eat the food. Not only will the experience be pleasurable but you will learn what the...
I cook a whole variety of cuisines and I can hardly think of one that does not feature some sort of hot sauce or hot condiment. Individually, chilies take up the most room my self of spices. Most of these are from Mexico, Peru, Chili, New Mexico, or California. Some are from Spain, India, Thailand, or China.   Sauces in Mexico are often very complex. My enchiladas sauce features many chilies (Ancho, Guajillo, Mulato, Morita, and mild New Mexico chile) with differing...
Artisal Bakery Artisal Cakery Artisal Cakes
To learn Chinese and Thai, one must eat authentically enough to learn what to cook. You must receptive to new ideas and not base your choices just on previous experience. Sometimes a recipe will lay flat without dimension on a written page and yet be a treasure. I have had many Asian mentors as many of my peers not only knew the food but cooked it at home as well. Dim sum restaurants are restaurants with roaming carts that have a tremendous assortment of many of the...
The Jasmine Rice of Thailand (Thai Hom Mali) Jasmine rice is Thailand’s top exported rice. While China by its sheer size is the world’s largest producer of rice, Thailand has led the world as the largest rice exporter since the 1960′s, owing much of this status to jasmine rice. With continued Thai government support, stringent quality control, all rice destined for export passes the government stamp of approval. The active involvement of the government in the promotion...
Some say the Belgium are the master's of fries and possibly they are:   see this link for Belgium fries (double fried).   I have to add my two cents. Blanching is to prevent discoloration and it should be brief. The potatoes should be thoroughly dry before your first frying. Fries need quick cooking and this limits their cross-section. Yukon Gold will give good results and they are a little stronger. The best oil will yield the best tasting fries. Adding peanut oil to...
Having lived in Italy, I have had the good experience to see a commercial enterprize make pasta. The dough is worked a long time which will make it silky. If the pasta is worked until silky then you a very strong armed person as it takes a lot of elbow grease to do that by hand. If you want you home made pasta to be al dente, it has to be thouroughly dried (hanging on plastic coat hangers works)   Fresh pasta cooks in 3 to four minutes. Taste as you test. It done when...
Obviously you don't use metric
Persian Basmati Rice   Throughout the Middle East, this is the rice of choice. This is a very long grained variety. In Iran and Iraq, the rice can be as long as 1/2 inch. Rice is cooked differently in these Persian regions. Washed Basmati rice is cooked in cold water in an open pot, adding hot water as necessary (¼ of an inch above the top of the rice is the water level) until the rice is just firm, about 10 minutes once the rice has reached boiling. Then it is drained...
Quite a few Persian dishes are represented in my cookbook. I learned how to eat Persian long before I learned to cook these recipes. I mention this fact, because this is how we learn to cook. I have found that interest in a culture’s food helps those from that culture begin to see you as worthy. They often express that by becoming a mentor and teacher.  Learning to shop in their stores is also a great boon to understanding their foods. Ardeshir a librarian working for...