or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Growing superior rice for risotto in Italy is akin to cultivating great grapes for fine wine. By way of example, Maratelli rice is native to the Asigliano Vercellese province of Vercelli northern Italy and has been under cultivation for 100 years. It is considered one of the great rice types for the perfect risotto. The grain resists over cooking and due to its medium size, it cooks faster than the larger grain Arborio rice but slower than the small grain. This...
Why would you want to? The Italians have specific brands of rice (very large grain varieties) that have been optimized for risotto. Other rice would be hard pressed to both be creamy on the outside while the interior is "al dente".
As with anything you cook, the ingredients need to be good for best results. In bread, be it pizza, foccacia, or bread, the flour is the star! As mentioned before by other Chefs King Arthur (KA) Flour and their baking advise is GREAT. I make sourdough pizza crusts and Italian bread for some number of years and King Arthur Flour and other ingredients they sell figure heavily in these doughs. If you want to master these skills you will need to work at it and learn a lot...
Hey Great pictures could you Caption these so we can find out what the are ?   Thnaks
You are right. It was interesting. I am a contributor to Yelp. I find Yelp a great tool for researching a new area for places to eat. Reviewer with specifics make the better reviews.
Unbelievably simple.   Preheat oven to 500 F.   Use whole chicken surrounded by a bed of potatoes wedges (peeled) as thick as your thump. Remove neck and gizzards from bird cavity. Wash chicken and dry with paper towels. Open the cavity by trimming around it removing excess clumps of fat and some of the loose skin.   The opening needs to be somewhat open for best results.  Melt a cube of butter. Brush butter over chicken then pour rest over potatoes. Salt the bird...
I am in favor of Pizza from Rome Italy. It is made with a sour dough starter and special flour which includes Italian 000 (2/3) and classic European artisan bread flour (1/3) that has some ash and is made from winter wheat. Also necessary are sea salt and a little olive oil. If the flour is not right, the crust will never be great. See King Arthur for these flours.   My bread starter is fermented until the lactic acid makes is smell sour, which involves feeding it over...
I had never heard of Derrida and when I turned to an article explaining “deconstruction” with its metaphysical properties my head exploded. I was reminded of college days when the likes of Nietzsche gave rise to  headaches of biblical proportions. Not withstanding former President Bill Clinton postulating of the true meaning of “is” is, according to both Webster’s Dictionary and the crew of the American Heritage Dictionary, a word means is what the MAJORITY of people...
I agree with most of what others have said about bad habits and poor service. Bad service is the fault of bad management and due to absence of appropriate staff training.   However, I also really are put off by the staff talking down to me. Typical is explaining what a French or Italian phrase means. The younger the staff member is the more ridiculous this seems to me.   If a restaurant serves wine and has a corkage fee then they need to have a sommelier or be...
My 1997 copy of The Joy of Cooking Cookbook is not as good as a 1950’s edition. An angler friend called me over and asked me to bring a recipe for preparing fresh caviar. That old version JOC had a recipe and the new version does not. The JOC is practically useless when dealing with Chinese cuisine. I also do not think JOC tomato sauce for pasta is anywhere near authentic having lived in Italy seven years. The JOC is kind of a basic book. No single book should be the...