or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Sage Dressing: Render the Duck Fat and use it plus butter to make a Sour Dough bread dressing with chopped red delicious apples, currants, golden raisins, onion, celery, and barberries or cranberries, lot of white and black pepper, well seasoned with powdered sage. Bake covered until done in a moderate oven. Goes well with pork, goose, duck, or even turkey.   If using dried barberries or cranberries, soak them in sherry until softened.
Carniceria El Mercado Carne Asada Tacos con Todas   Their asada is perhaps the best I have had at a “fast food” counter. Understand that these are made fresh with their own in-house masa tortillas made daily. These are made with flank or skirt steak and the meat itself is very tasty, having been marinated perhaps overnight. The tacos are served with fresh Pico-de Gallo, fresh Queso fresco (their own cheese made daily), and a wedge of avocado. The Pico de Gallo has both...
Stay out of the kitchen!!!
For many, the ultimate dish of baked potatoes is a gratin Dauphinois made simply with cream, whole milk, butter and Yukon Gold (waxy) potatoes, salt and some white pepper all baked slowly in a flat single layer. To quote Fernand Point (1897– 1955) considered to be the father of modern French Cuisine, “There is no place for cheese in gratin Dauphinois.”   Point, Fernand (2008) Ma Gastronomie, Rookery Press.
The point is simply this, wines we consider good to drink have a pleasant taste. When those that do not (say a wine with little or no flavor) adding them is to dilute flavor not enhance it. It is not possible to make truely great food without good ingredients. Most "cooking wine", the ones specially manufactured for cooking, are poor substitues for the real thing. I suspect their comprised of esters and questionable artificial ingredients. Real food is not a facimile.
Pernod is not a wine but is a brand name for a strongly flavored anise liqueur. I know some chefs use the liqueur when preparing oysters.   Wines that I prefer to cook with are the same wine I would drink with the dish. Not all these wines need be dry. Marsala used in various veal dishes tend to be sweet as in Marsala all'Uovo - Italy's famous fortified wine from Sicily’s coastal city of Marsala. In regional cuisine, choosing a variety of wine from the region is not only...
Cabbage was on sale. I leaned out some thin slices of a Boston Butt roast, and cut them into ribbons for the protein. I prefer peanut oil, it takes the high heat. Stir fry shredded cabbage, slices of one onion until cooked but not browned. Brown the meat on very high heat, tossing until all red is gone. Add a tablespoon each of Garlic-Black Bean sauce and an equal amount of oyster sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar caramel, crushed red peppers, minced ginger, a glug of...
Birds love tomatoes. They also eat a lot of nasty critters too.
Finely shredded red cabbage, slices of red radishes, a slice of avocado, chopped cilantro, Pico di Gallo, stripped of fire-roasted poblanos (skin-removed, cut into thin strips), crumble Queso fresco. Accompany with lime wedges, and fire grilled Mexican onions*** and Chiles Toreados ( do both at the same time on the Barbee or grill.) Chiles Toreados can be made from jalapeños or Serrano chilies. There is no better cheese than Queso fresco for this purpose, I think its...
Cane or Beet may be used to make granulated sugar?” A discussion of both of these can be found on:http://www.dixiecrystals.com/sugar-101/cane-sugar-vs-beet-sugarDixiecrystals makes this important statement:"Pure cane sugar is non-GMO. Dixie Crystals does not use genetically modified plants in any of our pure cane sugar products. Beet sugar can be derived from genetically modified plants. The U.S. does not require labels to designate whether the sugar is derived from sugar...