Posts by Steve TPHC

Jalapeño Green Tomato Mango Chutney   Chutney was an English equivalent of a Hindu word. The condiment was probably brought back to England first by the East India Trading company maybe as early as the 17th century.  For the Hindu and Indians, chutneys are typically eaten on special occasions such as weddings or by the well-to-do3. Chutney, in my book, refers to condiments either fresh or cooked that contain fruit. This recipe was originally modeled after English Major...
There are as many Chinese versions of BBQ sauces as there are American versions- or-maybe even more. Char siu is a Cantonese version often used on pork belly or pork. Lee Kum Kee makes a good one in jar. This is the typical "red" BBQ seen hanging up. Combining hoisin sauce, tamarind sauce, oyster sauce, soy, seasoned rice wine vinegar, garlic, with a bit of mince ginger all to taste makes a good BBQ sauce. Add fermented black bean paste, chilies, chilies oil for heat and...
If I had know I was going to write a cookbook 25 years ago, the choice I would make back then could not have predicted how much the world would change. Even now, that I have written a cookbook, my children do not use it as much as I thought they would. They use the internet to lookup a recipe because it is quick. Quality, it would seem, has less to do with their decision. All that matters is quick. The exceptions are special events like Christmas or Thanksgiving, or...
Fanstastic display. Why is the sushi pink?
I learned to perfect Lemon Meringue Pie derived from a Joy of Cooking recipe. For me, nothing is more disappointing that a weeping meringue or a pie that is not sour enough. In the Joy of Cooking recipe, the meringue is “starch stabilized” which prevents weeping. I cut back her sugar volume by ¼ cup and use 2 extra teaspoons of lemon zest. I use Meyer lemon juice (Meyer lemons are sweeter and much less acidic tasting than regular lemons). The real difference is the amount...
I have been reading about an alarming quantity of oil going into some of these thick crust pizza doughs. Most dough recipes I have seen do not use 100% bread flour. Most pizza recipes use little to no oil at all. King Arthur lists this recipe for their Chicago Style Pizza as follows: ·                                 4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour ·                                 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal ·                                 1...
Only tolerate the abstinence so long, then I long for something worth eating. I made four apricot-pineapple empanadas baked until golden brown with a little less sugar and more lemon juice  to re-enforce the twang of the pineapple. I am bad but they were cross-eye good.
" blueberry demi" Its a sauce!   Auguste Escoffier (1846-1935) was the first great star of modern cooking. Acknowledged during his lifetime as the greatest chef in the world - See more at: http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/escoffier-9781852855260/#sthash.HmMNeJGv.dpuf   The Escoffier cookbook is also an authority on Sauces, which is the signature of French cookery. The “Saucier”, is described in Ferdinand Point's Ma Gastronomie as “the Picasso of the kitchen.”...
"Should I let it rest again at this point" Yes, it improves nutrition by punching down and letting it rise again. "Does this slow down the possibility of springing back" - no, spring back is dependent on the gluten content. Gluten content is what holds bubbles that allow the dough to rise and gives the crust its chew. All-purpose flour usually is about 8 - 11 percent gluten, the most significant protein in wheat flour.  Oven temperatures will vary according to the...
I actually love quality chocolate with a fruit-forward jubilant red wine. If I was wealthy, the wine would be a Pommard. As far as chocolate, I adore See's.