or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Pollock fish are one of the world’s most popular fish.  It has consistently been one of the top five seafood species consumed by American consumers. This type of fish is the most preferred for its mild flavor, white meat and flaky texture. Alaska pollock is used as a common ingredient for imitation crab. If you add polloch to the water you boil crabs in, the fish will extend the crab meat mixed in. I think broiling with a brushing of clarified butter is very good way to...
Alaska whitefish may refer to a "collection of fish" including Pollock, cod, haddock or a species of whitefish in the family Salmonidae, aka lake whitefishes. The latter is excellent cold smoked but are bony. The former are excellent when poached in a court bouillon. Since these are immersed whole-skin-on with a platform; they are subjected to no rough handling. Court bouillon is brought to a full boil, then turned to a mere simmer before immersing fish.   I like white...
Dear mjb:   This is from my family recipes and appears in my cookbook. If you want to pursue see http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/ssalkow   Good luck
Spanish Chicken with Olives and Wine   This dish was modified from an original recipe that was acquired by Katherine Ottesen, my mother while on vacation in Spain. (She barged into the kitchen and refused to leave unless they shared the recipe.) It is bursting with solid Mediterranean flavors. It is a whole meal, easy to prepare and cooks in one hour. All that is needed is good bread to make the meal complete although we usually serve it over steamed white or brown...
        I don’t know about you, but I must entertain myself with a variety of foods less I fall into a stupor. Periodically I am drawn to the Thai cusine because many of the dishes explode with flavor and aromas that completely enchant and seduce. Thai is not like American fare because so many of the flavors are combined in different ways uncommon to this continent. The mix of lemongrass, kaffir lime leafs, and tamarind often find their...
Nani’s Cioppino or Cacciucco alla Livornese   Nani, a family friend, was an Italian doctor and former paratrooper and under water demolition expert for the Allied forces in World War Two.  He taught me and my sister how to snorkel and deep free dive. He was a tremendous success anytime he entered a kitchen. I first met him on the Isle of Giglio off the coast of Pisa, Italy in 1960.   This is an expensive dish and it takes a while to prepare. It is well worth it and...
Nate: I find it easy to first quarter a peeled avacado, then lay it flat on a cutting board, slicing slices but leaving the stem 1/2 inch intact. Then fanning out, leaves every thing neat. Good Luck Steve
Dear Paul:   Do not pay much attention to negative feedback. I was asked a longtime ago to invest in  a startup chain called Starbucks. I said: “I don’t think that will catch on.”   Where there is a will there is always a way. Maybe find someone who is catering needs some help. (Job search “catering help wanted”) Many kitchen open only for breakfast; their kitchen is for rent other times of the day. In addition, the lower entry cost starting a food truck may be...
I will bet this was great!
Lasagna is different through out Italy. I like all varieties but prefer Lasagna di Ricotta Romana. This is a variety that uses a rich flavorful tomato-guanciale garlic sauce and a white sauce fortified with finely ground Parmigiano. The sheet pasta is layered in many thin layers. My version includes no meat, no eggs, no greens but five cheeses: Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, Romano, ricotta, and buffalo mozzarella.   For the sauce, use Elena’s...