Posts by Steve TPHC

I swear you could cook doorknobs and they would be delicious with Sweet and Sour Sauce. I cook authentic Chinese when I am in a usual mood, but every so often, I going to need a Sweet and Sour Pork fix.   Serve over Thai Jasmine rice and garnish with Cilantro and maybe Chinese Garlic chives.      
If you gave me these ingredients, I would make a chorizo pasta. I use the water hint of olive oil, egg, and semolina for the pasta. Chorizo and pancetta sauté in olive oil then garnish with grapes and red peppers. Sound delicious.
Zabaglione Technically, Marsala All-uovo is the best Marsala wine for this- so say the Romans.
Paella is a traditional dish of Valencia Spain. Authentic “arroz en paella” calls for the right pan and a thin blanket of special rice, which develops a crispy coating in contact with an enlarged cooking surface. To the natives of Spain, the most salient feature is what happens to the rice – the star of the show. Last night, we splurged and put on a cook-together. Standing over the stove, as the dish finished cooking, we removed the dish to a cold stone surface as the rice...
The type of flour and its protein content make a hugh difference in both the character, taste, and the bubbles that a dough is capable of holding. High gluten means more bubbles,  I use SAF-Instant Yeast Red Label, and KA European-styleArtisan Bread Flour made from medium-protein spring and winter wheats. I also use, 1/3 by volume, of KA Italian “00” flour.   When kneading, there are three punch downs which are very hard and knock the bubble size down to small. (Monitor...
Hankering for some comfort from the cold days of putting up Christmas lights in 30-degree weather, I thought I would have corn chowder. Oddly, corn on the cob was still available in the super market, so I bought nine ears. I pan-fried some bacon and salt pork and fried chopped new potatoes with some chopped onion in the fat. I had frozen homemade chicken stock, which I thawed in the microwave.  All went into a pot, including the bacon and salt pork, the corn cut from the...
Sage Dressing: Render the Duck Fat and use it plus butter to make a Sour Dough bread dressing with chopped red delicious apples, currants, golden raisins, onion, celery, and barberries or cranberries, lot of white and black pepper, well seasoned with powdered sage. Bake covered until done in a moderate oven. Goes well with pork, goose, duck, or even turkey.   If using dried barberries or cranberries, soak them in sherry until softened.
Carniceria El Mercado Carne Asada Tacos con Todas   Their asada is perhaps the best I have had at a “fast food” counter. Understand that these are made fresh with their own in-house masa tortillas made daily. These are made with flank or skirt steak and the meat itself is very tasty, having been marinated perhaps overnight. The tacos are served with fresh Pico-de Gallo, fresh Queso fresco (their own cheese made daily), and a wedge of avocado. The Pico de Gallo has both...
Stay out of the kitchen!!!
For many, the ultimate dish of baked potatoes is a gratin Dauphinois made simply with cream, whole milk, butter and Yukon Gold (waxy) potatoes, salt and some white pepper all baked slowly in a flat single layer. To quote Fernand Point (1897– 1955) considered to be the father of modern French Cuisine, “There is no place for cheese in gratin Dauphinois.”   Point, Fernand (2008) Ma Gastronomie, Rookery Press.