or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Porcini and Shiitake mushrooms are very flavorful when dried. In this regard, Porcini is top of my list despite their higher cost. I never reconstitute with water, I use wine, or stock. The soaking liquid is then used as well as the mushroom. These two mushrooms are great for sauces or egg dishes. Stems on Shiitake remain forever tough but are useful for adding flavor. Dried Shiitake come on sale at Asian markets and are a good shelf item in the pantry as they are...
No matter how good your skills, you cannot make an inferior cut of meat out perform high quality beef. By my reckoning a hormone free grass raised steer is an excellent choice if he is raised with care. Maybe fed oats and barley the last year and maybe allowed a year more to mature to increase his flavor sacrificing that for some tenderness. The butchering must be Halal or kosher. Then the meat is aged under ultraviolet for 28 days. During that time, 25% of the body...
It the seattle area in the Alderwood Mall:Savory Spice Shop3000 184th St. SW, #992Lynnwood, Washington 98037P: (425) 673-2188E: alderwood@savoryspiceshop.comHoursMonday-Saturday: 10am-9pmSunday: 11am-7pm
Was wondering what kind of saw dust? LOL
The News and Record ran an article here in Greensboro about a new spice store that opened in the Friendly Shopping Center in Greensboro, NC called the Savory Spice ShopSavory Spice Shop has an online presence and four company-owned locations in Colorado. Savory Spice Shop offers common to exotic herbs and spices which the freshly package to order in large to very small quantities. They also feature more than 140 blends of traditional seasonings to Savory creations. I was...
Caught and mentioned in biblical times and pictured on the pyramids, Tilapia aka commonly, as "St. Peter's fish" are the "chicken fish" for the aquaculture food market. These fish from the cichlid family are warm water tolerant and eat aquatic plants making them cheap to feed. Off flavors from the fish eating algae blooms impinge the reputation of the fish. China is the major supplier and I question the consistency of their export qualities. Nutrition is good and its flesh...
Marsala is often used in Sicilian recipes to make wonderfully flavored dishes with a hint of sweetness. Marsala is available in many styles, from dry to sweet, and the very aged offerings command some significant prices. I read some suggestions that replacing the Marsala with Port, burgundy, pinot would yield favorable results. I am here to say that the results would not be the same. Madeira perhaps with a Cream Sherry added may be closer substitute. For a magnificent...
Wow, that looks magnificent. I love ramen and you have inspired us all.
Why do people think the internet is the best place to garner a recipe. It is not!.   There is no cream in Alfredo Sauce nor is the butter premelted. The pasta is egg pasta made with winter hard wheat, European cold sweet butter and a youthful finely grated parmesan Reggiano that is relatively softer than the kind sold by Kraft in the green can. Retain about 3/4 cup of the  hot salted water from the boiled pasta. Toss for three minutes in a hot platter until positively...
 Because I teach techniques, I found it useful to make a short video on using the BBQ Grill for making homemade pizza. Let me know what you think.