or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Dear Paul:   Do not pay much attention to negative feedback. I was asked a longtime ago to invest in  a startup chain called Starbucks. I said: “I don’t think that will catch on.”   Where there is a will there is always a way. Maybe find someone who is catering needs some help. (Job search “catering help wanted”) Many kitchen open only for breakfast; their kitchen is for rent other times of the day. In addition, the lower entry cost starting a food truck may be...
I will bet this was great!
Lasagna is different through out Italy. I like all varieties but prefer Lasagna di Ricotta Romana. This is a variety that uses a rich flavorful tomato-guanciale garlic sauce and a white sauce fortified with finely ground Parmigiano. The sheet pasta is layered in many thin layers. My version includes no meat, no eggs, no greens but five cheeses: Parmigiano Reggiano, Asiago, Romano, ricotta, and buffalo mozzarella.   For the sauce, use Elena’s...
As an guest chef, I taught at a a Savory Spice Shop in Greensboro, NC. I like them a lot since the freshness of their spices are guaranteed. The selections are excellent including some special blends that I find wonderful.  If you study their lists, you may find things that you did not even know about. These are some of my more useful/uncommon selections Mesquite Smoke Flavoring Pimenton De La Vera, dulce (smoked paprika) (see recipe Potatoes Catalan) Jamaican Jerk...
Vicki’s Chuck Wagon Beans - a Huckleberry Above a Persimmon   During the long cattle drives, the chuck wagon was the headquarters of every cattle outfit along the trail. The cowboys ate their meals there and where a recounting of the day and the smell over overcooked coffee took place. Skippy, the most popular man in camp, cause he was cook, did not take to a lot of back talk. When the trail boss mentioned, “Beans again ?” almost under his breath.   Skippy took off...
who do you want to cook for you?    The fat man who loves food    the skinny man that hates food
Thanks It's one of mine.
A chef who has no love for his patrons should not be allowed in the kitchen.   “In the orchestra of a great kitchen, the sauce chef is a soloist.” - Fernand Point   “Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin “The ten most important things about wine, are fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit and fruit.”- Dennis Johns   I never trust a skinny Chef - Fernand Point   There is no sincerer love than the...
Some Soy From my personal experience, soy sauce saltiness can vary from 11% to 65%; the flavor varies by brand and style. “Thin” or “light” style, refer to consistency, not the amount of sodium. Dark soy is aged much longer than light soy, giving it a brownish-black color and much thicker texture. Soy sauce is made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Burma, Philippines and many other countries.   When I cook, I often combine two or more soy sauces to...
I think the best marmalade is made from bitter oranges which are also known as Seville orange, sour orange, bigarade orange, or as the marmalade orange. The ones grown wild in Jamaica are wonderful. In recipes for Wassail Bowl oranges are studded with cloves and roasted in a shallow pan at 350 F for 30 minutes to become more fragrant.