or Connect

Posts by Steve TPHC

Vicki’s Chuck Wagon Beans - a Huckleberry Above a Persimmon   During the long cattle drives, the chuck wagon was the headquarters of every cattle outfit along the trail. The cowboys ate their meals there and where a recounting of the day and the smell over overcooked coffee took place. Skippy, the most popular man in camp, cause he was cook, did not take to a lot of back talk. When the trail boss mentioned, “Beans again ?” almost under his breath.   Skippy took off...
who do you want to cook for you?    The fat man who loves food    the skinny man that hates food
Thanks It's one of mine.
A chef who has no love for his patrons should not be allowed in the kitchen.   “In the orchestra of a great kitchen, the sauce chef is a soloist.” - Fernand Point   “Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” - Benjamin Franklin “The ten most important things about wine, are fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit, fruit and fruit.”- Dennis Johns   I never trust a skinny Chef - Fernand Point   There is no sincerer love than the...
Some Soy From my personal experience, soy sauce saltiness can vary from 11% to 65%; the flavor varies by brand and style. “Thin” or “light” style, refer to consistency, not the amount of sodium. Dark soy is aged much longer than light soy, giving it a brownish-black color and much thicker texture. Soy sauce is made in China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, Vietnam, Burma, Philippines and many other countries.   When I cook, I often combine two or more soy sauces to...
I think the best marmalade is made from bitter oranges which are also known as Seville orange, sour orange, bigarade orange, or as the marmalade orange. The ones grown wild in Jamaica are wonderful. In recipes for Wassail Bowl oranges are studded with cloves and roasted in a shallow pan at 350 F for 30 minutes to become more fragrant.
I think a little sauce would be nice and you might consider watercress salad.   Here is the recipe from my book.   Orange Sauce Bigarade   Bigarade (French for "bitter orange) is a classic brown sauce for roasted fowl. Bigarade sauce usually combines an enriched stock, drippings, orange and lemon juice, blanched orange peel, and Curaçao, or Grand Marnier, or triple sec, or Contreau.   Juice from 1 orange Jest of 1 orange, finely chopped 1 cup Veal, Chicken or...
well said
Gussy’s Southern Smothered Fried Chicken   Gussy’s recipe was one of Gussy and Ethan’s favorites. They were from the Deep South and took care of the family children in my childhood. Gussy was the cook but this was Ethan favorite meal.   Truly, this dish has the flavor of the Deep South. Once my guest have had this, they request it every chance they can. Oddly enough, although this result is totally outstanding, I have never been to a restaurant with this on the...
A French approach is always nice. A sweet white corn soufflé with classical poached salmon steaks in Court Bullion would be good along with fresh parsley baby carrots in sweet butter. Garnish salmon with finely chopped chives.   Serve with a Sauvignon Blanc.   Start the meal with a small but elegant bowl of lemoned Vichyssoise soup.   Lemoned Leek and Potato Soup (Vichyssoise) The culinary origins of Vichyssoise, if French or an American invention, is debated...