Posts by Steve TPHC

In my quest to master Chinese cuisine, I made the family Sizzling Rice Soup. Like any soup worth its salt, the stock has to be impeccable. To that end, the chicken stock cooked low and slow for 24 hours, then we added several cloves of garlic, a cut up Vidalia onion, 2 carrots, 2 ribs of celery, a small bit of peeled ginger and a bunch of scallions. After three more hours, we triple strained, cooled, and skimmed all the fat.   My ingredients were similar to anyone's...
Putting chicken in stockade . . .
I lived in Italy for 7 years, I have traveled to France. I am familiar with Swiss and Belgium Chocolates. See's is the best chocolate I have ever tasted! On a scale of 1 to 10, it is a ten.
Twice Cooked Garlic Pork   Uses leftover roast Boston Butt. Mushroom soy, marin, crushed red pepper, white pepper, fermented black beans, mince ginger. Use Napa cabbage center whites, vidalia onion, scallions, red, yellow, orange Baby bells. Serve over steamed Jasmine Rice. Very tasty and colorfull.
Looks so appealing- Nice Job!
Don and Karla came to dinner and it was my turn to cook. Harris Teeter in Greensboro, NC had great prices on shellfish so we made paella. Plenty of leftovers too.
So attractively plated as well. Well done!
Try Moo Goo Gai Pan Have few ingredients. The snow peas being the most expensive. A can of water chestnuts is about 69 cents at the Chinese Market. There are tons of "How-to" on YouTube. The most important thing is cut your breast of chicken thin so it flash cooks. That soft delicate texture is called "velvet". There are a 1000 recipes but basically this dish is chicken, mushrooms, snow peas and water chestnuts in a soy cornstarch thicken sauce. You can add anything you...
Oxtails are a wonderful and richly flavored base for a first rate stew. Do not be stingy. There should be at least 3~4 pounds of oxtails.  A French approach is always good: Mirepoix and a rich tomato paste, plenty of garlic, savory spices (sage, thyme, basil, and rosemary), crushed red pepper, white pepper, and black pepper. Avoid water. I use Scotch and red wine. Maybe a little port. I suggest you roast the vegetables (celery, carrots, and onions) and meat under a broiler...
There are as many Chinese versions of BBQ sauces as there are American versions- or-maybe even more. Char siu is a Cantonese version often used on pork belly or pork. Lee Kum Kee makes a good one in jar. This is the typical "red" BBQ seen hanging up. Combining hoisin sauce, tamarind sauce, oyster sauce, soy, seasoned rice wine vinegar, garlic, with a bit of mince ginger all to taste makes a good BBQ sauce. Add fermented black bean paste, chilies, chilies oil for heat and...