or Connect

Posts by GeneMachine

That is what the BBQ guys usually call an UDS - ugly drum smoker. Technically direct heat, but you fire it very low and have the meat at a good distance, so you are running at 110-130°C at your meat rack, basic BBQ conditions. 300$ for a ready made one is somewhat steep - get an old oil drum, cut off the top with an angle grinder, weld in some rests for the rack and you are done for $50.
I can't see how this is supposed to work. It just will draw some more moisture out of the meat. Cheap cuts are generally cuts with more connective tissue, and those are treated by cooking low and slow - braising or BBQing, to slowly solubilize the collagen and get a juicy product. Salt boxing for an hour seems rather counter productive here.
 Drying of the skin for the extra crispiness.
Sorry, there was a lot of talk about bleach above your post, up to and including rinsing chicken with it... 
 S2 under European safety protocols. We didn't actually work with infectious, PrP(Sc) infected tissues, just made recombinant PrP(C) via E. coli. Shouldn't be infectious, but for the potential risk they put us under S2 - no special safety gear required, just some hard decontamination requirements. I've been in labs that worked with infected cow brains, though, and no... wouldn't want to work there, they ran under S3.
Our biosafety guy hit us with that when we started to work with recombinant prion protein - either it gets autoclaved at 138°C+ or hit with saturated hypochlorite solution, freshly prepared. You can imagine the fun we had when a culture got spilled and we had to scrub the floor with hypochlorite. Suffice to say that we broke out the gas masks due to the amount of Cl2 gassing out...
I worked in sterile environments for years - biochemical labs, doing bacterial cultures which naturally had to be kept very clean. We never used bleach. Detergent and/or ethanol for work surfaces was all that was ever needed. We only broke out the hypochlorite for deactivating prion protein when we worked with that, absolutely no need for bleach to sterilize anything in the kitchen, that is a purely American obsession.
 Nothing more or less traditional about it - flat pancetta tesa and rolled pancetta arottolata are both perfectly valid and traditional. I generally do flat ones myself.
Eggs stay out - non-industrial, from our own backyard hens. They keep weeks without refrigerating.
Spaghetti with fresh sage from the garden, homemade pancetta, garlic, cherry tomatoes and olive oil.