or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Cambros are even better at home than at work! My home fridge isn't near as large as a walkin and square containers simply fit better.
A terrible restaurant?  Welcome to CT.
Normally I'd pretty chill with people, not your cliched enfant terrible chef of the horror stories.  I want the BOH and FOH to be able to come to me with stuff without being worried that I'll blow up on them.  And I rarely do, but man they really pushed my buttons. 
I don't care you who are, that's funny!   I feel for you.  For the most part mine went smooth but the FOH basically burned the restaurant down last Saturday.  Pretty much the closest I've come to walking out in at least 15 years.  When things get that stupid I try to remind myself that sometimes you're the windshield and other times the bug, but I actually walked out back and smashed milk crates for a few minutes.  It just builds and builds, I bottle it up but the stupid,...
That's a lot to process all at once!  I dunno; we get caught up in the old sayings "do what you love and the money will follow" and "follow your passion and you'll never work a day in your life".  But is that realistic?  There are 168 hours in a  week.  Generally I work 60 of them.  Do I love it?  Sometimes.  Is it what I live for, the thing I'm on the planet to do?  That's a lot to ask of a job!  How do you want to spend your life?  Will you live to work or work to live? ...
Chef Thomas Keller has said he doesn't like the word "passion" when applied to cooking because it's absurd to think you're passionate about it all the time.  I think committed is a better term (mine, not his).  The kitchen is a lot of work and there often isn't much reward for it save the satisfaction of doing something you love.  If you don't love it then maybe make a switch to something else while you're still young.
Sounds like it could have been written 30 years ago.  Especially the example they open with.  Hmmm...you drop a ton of cash into a poor location, create a trendy idea-of-the-month restaurant within catering to upscale customers that don't frequent the area.  You do no research into wages or other costs.  Then you're surprised when the business model isn't sustainable.    The article does hit some points I agree with at least somewhat.  It does feel like there's a bubble...
Tough call, Sani.  Being a chef can be hard on your family.  It was a contributor (not the only reason, natch) in my divorce many years ago.  It's great to have a job you're passionate about, but life is a lot more than work.  There are lots of things to be passionate about, and family is one of them.  Is there any wiggle room at your job?  Maybe, maybe not.  I tend to work around 50 but of course sometimes 75 if necessary.  Sometimes it's a grind on me and I don't have a...
We had a good night but not insane.  I checked the ring on the POS when I was counting and it was great but not quite what I expected.  Must not have had as much late bar and I thought.  Weird, too- we had everything in our favor on paper.  Saturday night, decent weather, everything closed the next day, etc.  Ressies do hurt us a little bit sometimes; we're small enough that we can get rezzie-locked, with no room for walk ins.  Again, it was one of the best nights we've...
Since we were closed on the 1st it was a lot easier than usual to do inventory.  I went in around nine in the evening and finished around midnight (what can I say?  I'm a nite owl).  Of all the parts of my job the office parts are my least favorite, and inventory is my least favorite office job. It always makes me feel like the survivor of a disaster movie or the only human alive on an alien planet.  Still I try to embrace it each time.  An accurate count is necessary of...