Posts by Phaedrus

I discussed some of the factors here:  http://www.cheftalk.com/t/92264/musings  {Links work screwy here}   Feel free to talk about your situation, flipflopgirl!  That's the point of this thread and why I posted here instead of in the Chef's forum.   I spoke to the Corporate Chef for a bit today.  He and I worked together for a few years so we know each other well; we've worked the line for years in a very busy restaurant.  Work-wise the move should be good for me. ...
Well, this could as easily be in the Professional Chef's forum but it's as much personal so I will drop it here.  After two years as Exec at my present job I have put in my notice. Actually talked to the owner a couple weeks ago and I still have two weeks left.  Right now I'm working hard to make sure my Sous is 100% ready to step up and lead the kitchen once I'm gone.  He's a great dude and I know he's got what it takes although I feel bad for him that he has a tough road...
Apologies to Peachcreek- you're right, some stuff doesn't get old.  It's been a bad couple weeks and I was making light of it.  We're starting a new menu Tues so we're drawing down the levels of stuff that we won't use anymore and naturally the FOH staff can't be bothered to look at the 86 board, nor to try to put a good face things for the guests.   But there's always good:   When someone on a cross country road trip claims mine was the best meal they'd had in 1,000...
Also, the fifth time in an hour that a server sells the only thing that's been 86'd.  The expo picks a plate that is obviously modified in place of the reggae. The disher calls off ten minutes before he's supposed to be in. The owner is supposed to be working the host stand but he's already half-way through an eight ball and didn't bother to show up. The same server rings up a 20 on two tickets...rang in fifteen minutes apart without mentioning the first one was just...
Complicated question!  There are some incredible chefs that never went to culinary school (eg Thomas Keller, Heston Blumenthal) and of course a lot of bad chefs that did go to school.  Certainly you can learn it all OTJ (on the job) if you're willing to put in the time.  Of course, you will learn by doing but a restaurant will teach you what they need you to know, not necessarily what you want to learn.  There will probably be some holes in your knowledge, at least at...
At my restaurant the 'service charge' goes to the owner.
None, in my experience.
  Yeah, items that seem like "dogs" on the P-mix can have a complicated story.  Your vegan/vegetarian example is a good one.  There may be a party of ten looking to go out for dinner and one is a strict vegetarian; having an option for that diner may be the difference between a $400 check and not filling the seats.  Some items are on the menu because they signal what kind of restaurant you are.  Maybe you have a lobster tail which doesn't sell in great amounts but it means...
Yeah, on the one hand we have owners that complain endlessly about the inability to find good help and on the other we have good cooks that can't survive on their wages.  There's probably a link between the two that we're missing.
Hahaha!  Great stuff!