or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Yeah, bottom line is if it cuts what you want it to cut, the way you want it to cut, then it's sharp.  In practical experience though many if not most of us that are knife geeks have a work space set up where we sharpen.  I have a battery of tests that I do to see if I'm done with a given knife.  There are lots of ways to do it though so whatever works for each person is fine by me.
I suppose even moving the knife through air dulls it on some microscopic level.  But no, testing the edge on paper has no impact at all on the edge.  It would if you sliced ream after ream of typing paper but that's not how you test a knife.  I dunno where you sharpen but I have a shop; there's no lemongrass or pumpkins in my shop to test.  There are edge testers, thumbnails, the barrel of a Sharpie, etc and all can work fine.  The Carter/3-finger-test is okay if you like...
I can't fathom how line cooks survive in NYC, San Fran, etc.  Cooks want to work in those places for the experience but even rock star line cooks don't earn shit.  I think you have to get the experience you're after and move up quickly or move on quickly.
I'm not sure exactly what that means.  Once you have done something a few thousand times it becomes ingrained in muscle memory. For instance I don't really consciously "think" about flipping a steak any more than you have to think, "okay, gas pedal now..." when you get in your car.  That's what training and repetition if for. As for working with the rest of the line that all comes down to communication.  A good line is very similar to great sports team where everyone knows...
I like Dr Pepper in BBQ sauce.
Nice!  Just takes a bit of tinkering sometimes.
Lots of material to cover!  I also concur that some of the stuff posted above is either only partially true, not applicable to kitchen knives and/or factually incorrect. For instance, a burr will be formed with edge leading or edge trailing- to imply otherwise shows you've never seen edges under high magnification.  Sharpening without forming a burr is possible- even desirable- but I won't touch that one here!  It's sure to cause a firestorm of controversy, always has...
Sous vide can really transform tougher but flavorful cuts of meat.  The only caveat is that somethings -such as the connective tissue in beef short ribs- will not break down even with 72+ hours of low temps.  You really need higher heat for those.  But chuck is sublime.
Cook/chill isn't going to work very well for striped bass IMO.  The cooking time should be fairly brief, maybe 30-40 minutes at 120o F to 125o F.  Definitely they need some space for water circulation.  Do you have a vacuum sealer?  I'm kind of assuming you do.  Depending on the size of the fish you can seal a few in one bag, then get some kind of rack to organize them.  Think outside the box here!  Cooling rack, rib rack, dish drainer, etc...anything that will work.  You...
+1.  For me it's just good beef, cooked on very high heat, salt & pepper, served with minimal stuff.  I like the beef to shine through.