or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Get a Thermapen.  Best I've ever used.  I have two, one I've used daily for seven years and one that's a couple years old.  Expensive at $96 but worth every penny.
Deaf would make it a lot harder in the kitchen.  A friend of mine that used to work for me was deaf, and it worked out okay because he was very good lip reader and could speak pretty well.  Mental stuff...well, almost everyone that works in a pro kitchen has something wrong with them!
Like the others have mentioned there are lots of factors (size and complexity of the menu, amount of seats, and FOH staff is a very critical part of the equation, too).
Sounds like a win/win for both of you.  To be honest, a typical line cook job isn't saving the world, and it's not really worth devoting your whole life to it.  On the other hand, the needs of the business are the needs of the business.  If someone can't work when you need them then they either have to lose out on some hours or find another job.  The best approach is to be flexible but in order to do that it almost always has to be a give and take.   FWIW the guys on the...
Sharpness is only one aspect of a knife, and arguably not one of the most important.  An obsidian indeed can be made "sharper" than a steel one but is otherwise inferior in almost every other way.  Knapped tools are not nearly as durable as good steel.  Glass, like obsidian, can be staggeringly sharp; the edge can be about as thin as a single molecule.  But you don't see glass knives used for much outside of the laboratory because they're not all all durable.  Chirt,...
Nice!  I really love that knife.  I'm more of a 240 guy but the 210 should be nice, too.
Making an effort to use the whole stone helps, too.  Don't just sharpen on the middle of the stone. Try to make your strokes run across the whole thing as best you can.
The Coarse will work but an XXC (Extra Extra Coarse) is a lot faster.  Of course, you already have the C and it will work, just more slowly.  It does seem that DMTs wear out a lot faster when you sharpen on them vs flatten stones.  The explanation I was given is that the metal "flows" around the diamond particles and pulls them off the plate.  The Atoma doesn't seem to have this issue as much as the DMT but it's considerably more expensive.   If you go with drywall...
I dunno, I think that's unnecessary.  Just steel it when it needs it, every few times.  That works for me.
A DMT XXC is insanely aggressive at first.  It rapidly loses that mega-bite but it's not wearing out, it's just breaking in.  It should cut plenty well to flatten stones properly for at least several more years.  Try it for a little while and see if you don't find it still does a good job.  If not, contact DMT and they will probably replace it under warranty.   In my experience all diamond plates are this way, very aggressive initially, then a pretty good plateau after...