or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Congrats!  I guess I probably qualify for old-timer status at CT as well.  It's a great forum, and one that has been a treasure trove of info over the years.
I'm pretty chill about doing whatever a customer wants if it's possible to do.  They pay my paycheck after all.
You'd probably be hard pressed to find a kitchen where no one is doing anything "wrong".  In the case of my new job they haven't had a chef for a few months so things have kind of been anarchy.  The whole deal with the lead having been kind of the acting KM and then being demoted back to line cook under his old sous isn't something I have seen very often, and creates some issues.
Drats, the forum code here makes it hard to embed a picture!
Geez, IceMan- you're no fun!  Making fun of stupid orders is a time honored tradition in the kitchen!  Chefmc never in any way implied that he or she refused to comply with the request.  I think it's fair to poke fun when a customer takes the most tender and expensive cut of meat and requests it prepared in a way that leaves it about like a two dollar ball tip steak.
I commend you on doing something to help others!  Is it going to be the only entree or will there be other stuff?  An ounce of dry pasta will be around 3-4 oz cooked.  Normally I'd plan on about 8 to 9 oz of cooked pasta + the sauce for a hearty entree.  But I suppose that maybe these folks might eat a bit more than the average diner.  Pasta is fairly inexpensive, I'd err on the side of having extra.  On the low side I'd say go with at least 75 pounds of penne, uncooked...
I'm with cheflayne.  I'll preface this by stating it's just my preference but a drop in is no more intrusive and a call and it does show initiative.  Plus you have a lot better chance of making an impression in person.  Don't do it on a Monday and not during peak hours.  Over the years I've had people drop in to try to talk to me right at service time.  Those apps go right in the garbage can!  If you understand kitchens so little as to bug me at 12:30 or 6:00 pm I have no...
Be humble.  Have your chef's back at all time and in all things.  But remain an advocate for your coworkers.  Be honest and forthright with your chef, speak your mind and be a good sounding board for him or her.  But be diplomatic, too.  Chef may not always be right but s/he's always chef.
It's an old saying that a huge sprawling menu is hallmark of an amateur.  Cheesecake Factory can have 150 things on their menu because they do $10 million per location per year and have a ton of staff.  Most restaurants, especially smaller ones that are limited in space and labor budget, are better off sticking with a small menu expertly executed.  When you do have more items at least try to riff on a few ingredients you already have. For instance, if you already do a...