or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Man, I agree!  Ramen right out of the bag is the bomb.  No need to boil it.  But I don't think I'd eat a whole bag that way.
It would depend on a lot of factors but that does seem pretty low to me.
Generally it's not considered a good idea to sandbag food but you'll have to ask your chef.  If you're long a chix and it's a busy service you'll probably sell it but I wouldn't do it on purpose except perhaps if you're really weeded.  It depends I guess.
If labor and tax laws are annoyance that they avoid how do they feel about health and sanitation laws?  Cash is nice I guess but I would pass on criminal activities if it were me.
Well, it will be like a stock if you're making it with stock. What else you using? Any aromatics?  Seasoning?  You're at least using mirepoix I'd imagine...
If you do have to cook a steak from frozen then sous vide works very well.  No need to thaw first, just drop the froze stuff right in the tank.
I think Allan hit the nail on the head; MG, modernist- whatever you like to call it- at the end of the day it's just cooking.  If it doesn't serve the food and taste good what's the point?  I'll take an old school burger fresh ground on fresh baked buns over modernist monstrosity with no culinary point.  It's easy to get infatuated with gadgets and techniques to the point where you lose sight of the reason you're doing it.
Good point, IceMan.  And what does it even mean?  What is there to cook that's completely new?  There are only so many edible foods and so many ways to combine them.  So many chefs think coming up with a novel random pairing of foods is somehow creative.  Is it?  And why would I want to eat it?  First and foremost a meal should taste good.  Who ever ate brats grilled over a campfire and lamented that it wasn't a creative dish?
Great points, Tweakz.  I read an article on starting your own business once where the author that opined that "a company with 50 employees has 50 problems."  Wow!  What a tone-deaf article, and one that really misses the point.  Chef Thomas Keller takes a different approach; he would almost say you have 50 partners.  Obviously there has to be discipline and the boss has to be the boss but giving your staff a chance to contribute meaningfully makes everything better. ...
Sorry Tweakz, I didn't mean to misquote you.  I read you wrong, my apologies.