or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

It's really hard to unpack it.  On the one hand we're exposed to many forms of radiation from phones, microwaves, etc.  We have environmental chemicals and pollutants that probably aren't good for us.  We feed 75% of all the antibiotics used in the US to livestock.  So many things are probably "killing us" that it's impossible to isolate any given one.  On the other hand we have better sanitation, nutrition and medicine.  Maybe it's a wash.   Let me say I do respect...
I guess it's kind of a paradox; on the one hand I like the slow food movement, the trend towards real natural food with no GMOs or hormones, anti-biotic free range cattle, etc etc.  I like to have food that's free of unnecessary additives and chemicals. But on the other hand I really dig MG cooking.  It's fun to play with meat glue, spherification, gels and foams, etc.  I guess the difference is that when I use something for a specific effect I'm on the one making the call...
Yeah, me too!  I have a nice little Tanaka nakiri in Blue #2 but I rarely take it out of the case.
So far I haven't seen a shred of credible evidence that cooking in a bag is unhealthy.  I'm not a scientist so I'm just going on the literature but it doesn't seem like much is leeching out at SV temps and realistically there isn't much to leech out.  Besides, a huge amount of food has been stored in plastic all the way up the point where you cook it anyway.   I should point out to that most of the benefits of sous vide don't require the vide part at all.  You can fill...
In America we have this meme of "loving what you do" and it sometimes gets us into trouble.  Sure, some people are lucky enough to be able to 'monetize' (to use a buzzword de jour) their love but for the bulk of us work will just be a job.  Even if it's a career that's not a guarantee you'll love it.  I think 50 years ago our parents and grandparents felt lucky to have jobs and were grateful for work.  Work wasn't their life but something that made their lives possible.  A...
I think it's unprofessional to be yelling at people.  I'll admit that occasionally I'll lose it and get in someone's face but I always apologize; it's not the way things should be done.  But as far as shouting- I kind of do do that.  The busier it gets the louder I'll start to bark.  Not all people, not in a mean way, just speaking loudly over the din of a busy kitchen.  When things start to go into the weeds during service a good loud commanding bark will often get things...
I take my chef coat off when it's time to clean up, and this includes cleaning the flat top (if I'm the one doing it).  Done it this way for 25 years with no problems.
One more note- while the media loves the meme of the audacious young chef creativity is usually something you learn.  It usually comes from being mentored by someone that knows a lot more than you do.  Exec at 22 doesn't leave a lot of time to fill your mental library with ideas.  I was in the same boat at that age, having worked for few good chefs by that time.  You can bet that Grant Achatz didn't spring from the womb a Grant Achatz, nor did Thomas Keller, Wylie...
This is a complicated question!  Chef is one of the few pretty decent paying jobs you can get by accident.  Much like you I got my first Exec job pretty young based more on my work ethic, responsibility, drive and speed on the line than my creativity (and frankly they needed a chef!).  I grew into the job and quickly realized I was very passionate about food and cooking.  Given the long hours, generally mediocre pay and shitty working conditions it's not a job you should...
I will concede the usefulness of a "beater knife" that you're not worried about.  I'd blow my stack if one of my expensive J-knives got stolen.