Posts by Phaedrus

That amazing skill and timing didn't come overnight!  Your Chef and Sous rock it because they worked hard, paid their dues and learned on the way up.  There is no unimportant job in the kitchen!  NONE!  It might seem like "only" peeing potatoes but it needs to be done and done correctly.  The chain in the kitchen is only as good as the weakest link.  Hang in there!  You'll move up the ladder in due time.
I'm sorry to hear of your experiences. That's a very old school environment. Not all kitchens are that way. But you do have to pay your dues. Keep working hard and learn everything you can. It gets better but even at the highest levels it's hard work. Especially at the highest levels.
Thousands of chain and franchised restaurants seem to disagree (unfortunately).  But I agree with your point philosophically- in a small kitchen it's important that the chef be a good cook.
 Quoted for truth!  It's impossible to overstate this part- a Chef has no business being a Chef if he's not making money for the restaurant.  Cooking is really the easiest part of being a chef.  Anyone with a speck of dexterity and a good memory can do it.  Apply yourself and work the line for 10 years and you're almost guaranteed to be a great line cook.  But there are lots of great cooks that crash and burn when they try to take that step up to Chef.  The guy I replaced...
I'll play.  I dislike cleaning and portioning farmed salmon.  I dunno why, just don't like it.  We get sides already pin boned and everything, not much too it.  But I don't like the smell (not that there's much) or the scales.  Mostly I just won't eat farmed "Atlantic salmon" but the customers love it so I have to serve it.  But when I can pawn it off my Sous I will do so.   It's long been my practice to take at least one task that no one likes to do and do it for my...
I've never been very motivated to join them to be honest.  As it is I'm pretty busy.  I'm not sure what upside there would be for me to take their tests to gain whatever cert's they provide since no one in my area seems to be aware of their existence.  It could potentially open doors for me down the road if my resume and work history isn't sufficient, especially if I one day move to another part of the country.  Right now though it doesn't seem like a good use of the...
 At the risk of sounding pedantic it's "shirred".
 Does the ACF do more to prevent foodborn illness than ServSafe?  I'm not a member of their group but in the material I did see food safety wasn't the focus.  I don't know about your area but in MN the health dept is pretty strict (stuff that is fine in SD doesn't fly here).  I need to have my Foodservice Manager Cert and a ServSafe cert in order to serve the public.  Membership in the ACF might be a great thing but that alone isn't sufficient to work as a chef in MN.
I have nothing against the ACF.  I have read their material a few times over the years.  I can see why one might affiliate oneself with them but I can't see how they could be held as the definitive measure of who is a 'real chef'.  Cooking isn't really like medicine or engineering, except in the vaguest sense.  Sure, there are some safety standards that are widely accepted but those are adequately dealt with by state and federal model food codes and companies like...
Maybe it's just the part of the country I'm in.