or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

It may be worth the money to get the right person. But it's a little bit like the salary cap in pro sports. Do you spend 40% of your entire cap space on the QB?  You still need defense, a running back, wide outs, etc.  And even if you get the perfect person he or she will need a day off.  Or get sick, or have something come up.  Then you need to have staff to cover the shifts.  BTW, minimum wage here in MN is $9.00- $11.50 is tough if they're not decent to begin with.
 Simple!
Even less to do with the OP.
The two are broadly correlated, the term "right to work" is obviously sarcasm on the part of some bureaucrat.  Mostly it is to bust unions and allow employers to do whatever the hell they want.  But that's neither here nor there.  Many states have their own minimum wage even for tipped workers so the fed min is often irrelevant (again, it depends on where you are).  MN is not a RTW state and is pretty liberal overall.  Well, I should say that Minneapolis/St.Paul is liberal...
I will level with you- you're not gonna get good experienced cooks for minimum wage.  Why would a good cook work for you?  I don't know what kind of market you're in but skilled cooks are in very short supply.  I'd give my left nut to hire one good guy that cook could hold down the broiler even on a slower night, and I am willing to pay that guy or gal fairly.  In my market that cook just doesn't exist.    Do you offer any kind of advancement?  Regular raises?  Put...
 God, +1 to this.  Tonite we go a little bit of a late rush and since I was closing with the staff anyway I decided to catch up on a little bit of office work.  It was actually nearly midnite when I left even though I was "done" at ten.  But as I walked out one server in the bar section was still waiting on customers!  I'd hang myself if I had to stay til midnite or one every night to wait on the drunks.
We may have to agree to disagree.  A lot depends on where you work.  Most of my career has been worked in a state where servers made $2.13 and hour but right now where I work the minimum is $9/hr, even for tipped staff (!).  Some of what you say would be true here; even on a very slow night if a server gets almost nothing for tips the still make almost as much as a cook and on a good night they make a killing.  But MN isn't typical.  Look at a "right to work" state where...
That seems absurd to me.  He didn't come here and "learn to be successful"- he'd already cheffed at Mcheline starred restaurants!  Ramsay is hardly a rags-to-riches American success story, he was a huge success long before he was known in the US. Besides, when one chef in a million is making that kind of money it's hardly a trend.   I also disagree that FOH isn't working as hard as BOH. Certainly some are not but some are.  In my callow youth I thought as you do, that...
There are and have always been laws about what bathrooms you can use.  Most people don't know much or hear much about them because in the past folks didn't lose their shit at the idea of a trans person using the one they identify with. Conservatives here trot out the long-discredited "bathroom predator" myth to try to force new laws.  I agree, it's a non-issue.  Despite being a "progressive" I'm not really in favor of even more laws about food pricing.  Generally the...
Okay, the Scottish Dream, then!