or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Unless you just really need the money what's the point of working for someone that knows less than you do?  Sous can be a career if you want it to be but most see it as a step towards an Exec job.  It doesn't sound like there's much to learn at that job except what not to do.  That should be a pretty short lesson, one easily absorbed in a couple weeks.
It takes time.  Even an accomplished line cook with years of experience needs to adjust to a new kitchen.
The place I'm at now is literally the worst I've ever seen in this regard.  I understand that people are paying for their food and want it how they want it.  But there's a point where it's just absurd.  We routinely get orders for stuff that we don't even have in the building.  It doesn't help that we have the worst FOH staff (overall) that I've ever worked with in a decent restaurant.  They know nothing about food and can't be bothered to even know our menu.   I dunno...
I guess there's your answer!  Can't say as I blame you a bit.  The title is meaningless if you're miserable.
There's usually a balance between the two.  You can have a lot talent but you still won't succeed without hard work.  And you can bust your ass as hard as you want but with no talent you're not gonna go far, either.
I work with two line cooks with mortgages, which admittedly is kind of weird.  Not very big or nice houses, but still.  Man, that's a tough call.  I'm in my forties and I can tell you this is a little harder on my body than it was in my 20's.  Although I quit drinking a few years ago which honestly lopped 15 years off how old I feel.   I will say though that kitchen guys that have been cooking for as long as you have been doing what you do, they're burnt out...
If you have the means sous vide it.  If not (and if it's your call) take it off the menu.  There's no good way that I know of to make it cook any faster without resorting to dirty tricks.  And I like a pork chop but who wants to wait half an hour for one?  If people really want pork chops maybe swap in two smaller ones instead?
BTW, by your words I think we may have a misunderstanding- I have not been in this restaurant for 20 years, it's only been open for a few.
 I think we've all been exposed to it to a degree.  Over the last 25 years I've worked in a couple of dumps and some really great kitchens.  I've worked dish (back in the early 80's actually!), fast food, hotels, fast casual, fine dining, etc.  I'd say that in my experience all the "crap" I described is the hallmark of a restaurant that's simply not very good.  It's hard to consistently offer quality food and service in an environment like that.  And aside from the...
Sounds like a crappy place, PovertySucks.  Your name is right- poverty does suck, and sometimes you just need a job, any job. Hopefully you'll find something better soon.  That place doesn't sound like it will be open in a year anyway.