or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

No problem.  It depends a lot on where you are and what you want to do with the knife.  It's always going to be a trade off.  For starters, in what country do you reside?  No use in recommending something if you can't get it where you life.
Welcome to CT, Shibby.  Have you used the search feature here?  Your question has been asked and answered a hundred times.  I myself have answered it at least 20 times!  No need to type if all out again, there's some great info already written here.  Former member/member emeritus BDL has a great primer here as well.
Glad to see it's been helpful. I too have found this place to be a treasury of wisdom on many topics. I never want to be that guy with 25 years of experience that learned for five years and just repeated the same shit for the next 20.
I have no experience in that realm and not tips per se, but it does sound interesting.  If I'm being honest one of the best parts of being a chef is showing off and having you ego stroked; I can't think of any other kind of cooking job where you'd get more validation and instant feedback.  If the money and schedule is right it sounds like it would be a nice change of pace.
Maybe ratatouille for the mother?  I love ratatouille; it's hearty but kind of light, complex in flavors but also kind of rustic and simple. Lots of room to personalize it and it's great for vegetarians.  But it can be served with a chicken breast if you like.
I will be doing the same as ever year.  Same. Damn. Thing.  There would be a mutiny in the family if there was the tiniest deviation from turkey, stuffing in the bird, mashed potatoes and canned (!) cranberry sauce.  We've been doing this since probably before I was born. Funny, no one cares what I do for Xmas but Thanksgiving has to be that same stuff every time.  I am basically okay with that though.
The whole situation sounds snake-bit from the get-go.  You're supposed to be the exec but the owner seems to treat you like a sous.  If he's not willing to make some major changes and turn the reins over to you to run the kitchen as you see fit then I'm not sure what the point of staying would be.  Unless the money is ridiculously good, I suppose.
Numbers run businesses but the food on the table is where the rubber meets the road.  I hope if I ever dine in that hypothetical joint I don't get served an overcooked steak with a side of excuses. 
If the Exec can't cook he sure as better be in a situation where he doesn't have to! It's damn hard to command any respect in a kitchen when nearly every station cook is better on station than the chef. 
Pulled and diced baby back rib meat makes a BBQ sand that is out of this world.