or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

I you're using a knife for eight hours a day you'll be lucky if your knife stays sharp for weeks let alone years.  That simply isn't realistic, at least not if you like a high level of sharpness.  That's like wanting a car that can drive for a year on one tank of gas!  It's possible if you only drive a mile a week. Same for your knife.  It's a wear item.  A ceramic will stay sharp for a long time but they're expensive, fragile and not readily available in larger...
I'd say only the lucky few haven't felt that way.  Maybe those in big markets like NY or San Fran.  Most places there are a hundred shitholes to every really nice place.  Or if not downright dumps then at least uninspiring places.  The place I'm working now (and leaving soon!) has had squash risotto on the fall feature menu every fall for the. last. five. years.  I mean my God- can you think of no other seasonal fall item or dish?
Jesus, I hate those knives!  We get ours as a lease from a place in MN and the sharpening job they do is ROUGH!  Incredibly toothy, crocodile toothy!  They only hold and edge for a couple days, too.
The cooler method works for shorter cooks but won't retain heat for stuff that takes longer.  Fine for a steak, though.
I'd be a stick in the mud and say just a nice Caesar salad. If you put a spoon of scallop and lobster ceviche on it I won't complain a bit.  I'm also a sucker for good potato salad.
BTW, the Kikuichis are pretty sweet. 
Depends.  I still have a thousand bucks worth of parts to buy to do an UMP conversion on my HK USC .45 cal carbine before I buy any more blades or stones.  If you're mostly into knives and have the money, why wait?
Right.  I just mean that the knife exists for no other purpose than noodles.  There are round 600 distinctly different traditional patterns for Japanese knives!  Or so I have been told my experts.  For instance there's one that's just for fugu and one just for octopus.  It's not that all chefs have a hundred plus knives, just that they evolved many specialized tools for specialized tasks.
I think that's the solution and the problem rolled into one.  You don't mention your age or how long you've been doing this.  As Keller says, passion is fleeting- it comes and goes.  Beyond that you need desire.  How long will you be happy putting out great food in every waking moment for little or no monetary reward?  How will you feel when your breaking down body is broken down?  This isn't an accusation or criticism, just discussion.  What is the goal here?  To...
I think most fields are full of a mixture of people who like what they do and folks that just want a paycheck.  It's frustrating, though.