Posts by Phaedrus

BTW, obviously it will have pork belly!  I'm just looking at a technique, not really a recipe.
Okay, folks- I'm looking for some input on cassoulete.  It's a favorite of mine and something that's great when the weather gets cold like it is now.  I want to do cassoulete for a feature menu but I can't decide the best way to do it.  My hope is to get 90% of the way to a proper cassoulete; if I have to half ass it I will do something else.   Right now my best idea is to dice some sausage (chorizo is what I prefer if I can find a nice dry Spanish variety) and cook it...
The new rules for overtime go into effect in ten days!  Is everyone ready?  We have examined the new rules and have our plan in place.  I don't want this thread to be deleted like the last one so I will tread carefully; I think there is some reason to think the rules may change back sometime next year.  But we have to proceed with the laws as they are now.   One big change we're making, not completely but in part due to the new rules, will be to stop lunch service next...
I agree that it's the archer not the arrow, but....I'm a knife nerd!  A master carpenter can probably build cabinets with just a couple tools but generally they will have several specialized ones that make the job a lot easier.  That's how I view knives.  I could clean and cut top butts down with just a French knife but it's a lot easier to have a curved boning knife, too.  Along those same lines I love my Japanese knives.  They get sharper and stay sharper for longer...
 You have to cut the whole brisket up into smaller chunks.  With a little practice you'll know where the grain turns in the meat, making it easier to figure out which way to slice it.
Hahaha!  Sorry!  Just saw this.  I am starting to do heavier, heartier dishes.  Pretty soon I'll be adding cassoulet and I'm going to roll out some duck dishes.  It's a cliche but more winter root veggies, too.  Lots of soup as well!  As the days get shorter and the weather cooler I'm selling two or three times as much soup and of course less of the summer-type sides.  At the moment I'm running a Beef Wellington feature; maybe not very original but it suits the season and...
Sweet Baby Jeebus!  She's changing diapers on the table...in the dining room?  That is disgusting.
What the hell is a nappy?
Sounds delicious! Stick with a small menu of 2 or 3 items and watch the cosrz.
Sounds like you're in a good situation, NatMat.  I would suggest you take Jimyra's advice and pick up a couple books on restaurant management.  Lots of good basic info there.