or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

There are a lot of knife threads here and some tutorials. Have you perused the kitchen knife section here?  It's a little hard to know what to suggest without knowing your style and how you use a knife.  I like knives that are light and thin, and I like very little belly (that is, a knife with a straighter edge).  I like high carbon steels and tools steels and am not a big fan of the more popular stainless steels like VG10.   You could spend months getting a handle on...
Not really my kind of knife.  A little too heavy, too much belly and it's too tall.  The steel is excellent but the price is not competitive.  The suminigashi cladding drags when cutting through food.  You could do worse but for the money you could do much much better.
Just listen to your chef and do as you're told.  You'll be find if you work hard.
You'll be fine.  In my experience volume scales.  As Cheflayne says, more cover usually means more bodies on the line.  You can only be so busy and one person can only touch so much food per hour.  It may be a bit of an adjustment but you'll adapt.
I had a memorable experience once related to not reading the BEO.  I'll gloss over the incriminating details to preserve my anonymity in case the offender reads these forums.  At any rate this fellow (I'll call him Cletus) and I had been sent to a hotel property in the company that was in freefall after losing all the management staff over the course of a long weekend.  We took over a place with no exec, no sous and no banquet chef.  It was Cletus' turn to do banquets...
Congrats on getting back to health!
Read the BEOs very carefully.  Then read them again. Then have someone else read them and see if you both read the same thing.  Sit down with your F&B or whoever books for banquets and make sure you're on the same page.
I think it depends on if we're talking a dozen steaks or two hundred.  And it wouldn't be a waste of money if the OP generally likes to cook.
How many steaks are you doing?  The best thermometer out there that I know of is the Thermapen.  I have two and my oldest one has been used in a restaurant kitchen for maybe seven years, almost daily.  All I've done is change the battery.
+1.  You aren't doing him any favors in the long run, and you're helping to pass the buck along to the next chef.  Plus, I wouldn't personally vouch for someone that I didn't believe in...my word has to mean something.  For legal reasons I'd give the dates of employment but that would be it.