or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

One more note- while the media loves the meme of the audacious young chef creativity is usually something you learn.  It usually comes from being mentored by someone that knows a lot more than you do.  Exec at 22 doesn't leave a lot of time to fill your mental library with ideas.  I was in the same boat at that age, having worked for few good chefs by that time.  You can bet that Grant Achatz didn't spring from the womb a Grant Achatz, nor did Thomas Keller, Wylie...
This is a complicated question!  Chef is one of the few pretty decent paying jobs you can get by accident.  Much like you I got my first Exec job pretty young based more on my work ethic, responsibility, drive and speed on the line than my creativity (and frankly they needed a chef!).  I grew into the job and quickly realized I was very passionate about food and cooking.  Given the long hours, generally mediocre pay and shitty working conditions it's not a job you should...
I will concede the usefulness of a "beater knife" that you're not worried about.  I'd blow my stack if one of my expensive J-knives got stolen.
Nice!  Veggies really come out nice that way.  A turnip done at 185 is to die for.
True but they're not all made like that.  Some really are pretty symmetrical with the actual bevel being asymmetric.
Ah, now I see.  No offense, I just hate working with the stuff.  We sell quite a few buffalo burgers where I work (according to the P-mix something like a thousand in 2013) and I just don't like them at all.  People seem to eat 'em up but the texture is off and they fall apart much more easily than beef burgers.  Could be the supplier we use, and I'm not the guy pattying them up so I don't know how they're being handled.  I don't care for the taste and they smell repulsive...
The best Japanese knives in the best modern steels manage to achieve very high Rockwell hardness levels without being chippy.  ZDP-189 chips badly but something like M390 doesn't chip at all.   It really doesn't matter what knife you get if you're not interesting in sharpening it.  That's like buying clothing that can't be washed!  Every knife will dull eventually no matter what it's made from.  A knife made of soft steel like a Fibrox will have a short useful life; a...
Lots of gyutos can be converted from RH to LH yourself.  Some are shaped in a markedly different way but many/most are not.  Traditional single bevel knives are strongly left or right handed and can't be changed but a gyuto generally isn't this way.   JapaneseChefKnives is a great vendor that sells lots of left handed knives. They ship almost everywhere at a reasonable price.  Awesome company!  If you want something special or individualized Koki will hook you up.  A...
Try at least 75% fat if you can and don't overwork it.  Patty it with the least handling you can.  I'm pretty much in the camp of just using fresh pepper and good salt.  I've never heard of mixing eggs or crumbs in a burger- to me that's a meatloaf recipe.   IMO bison/buffalo is a $hitty meat for burgers.  Way too lean, they're dry and tend to fall apart.  Flavor wise they just taste like a ten year old cow.
I suppose it depends on the individual.  But you would expect a chef that was the owner to be obsessed with quality control since he has the most invested in the success of the business.