or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

When I Googled ""costume line suite" it brought up pictures of girls in sexy cosplay outifts.
Okay, how did it go? For the few of us left here that actually work holidays still!  Long day, my feet are really sore.  The numbers were a little disappointing to me but that's probably because I expected more than is realistic for this town. Still a good day and night.  We ran a limited set menu for brunch and our regular menu + some features for dinner with a couple hour break in between.   My main gripe aside from just being a long day is that the Big Four (V-Day,...
This is a great topic and something that will be increasingly important as time goes on.  For better or worse there's a lot of momentum in the "living wage movement".  It's pretty hard to get good help, I mean really stellar workers that take ownership of their jobs, if you're not paying them enough to survive and thrive.  Yet people that want to feel good knowing their server and cooks are being fairly paid still often balk at paying more for their food.  I think Bill and...
I guess I must really geezer!  I still eat dishes that predate the food network.  Hell, sometimes I even even a seared chunk of rare cow just like the cavemen did.   And I even eat BBQ!  How gauche!
I see that now.  Not sure why TC10 didn't start a different thread.
The OP was almost two years ago!  I imagine an amount was set by now.
Jacques Pépin once talked about carbon steel pans for eggs on his show.  He said he generally doesn't use them because stuff sticks, and stuff sticks because they don't get used.  It was a little witicism that hits the mark.  With carbon steel you really have to season the crap out of them and then work to keep them seasoned. But if you do they're about as nonstick as teflon and not vulnerable to heat.   If I could find a truly durable nonstick pan, one that would last...
I'm glad owning your own business is fulfilling, Bill, but not everyone has the same dreams.  And while starting a business is a worthy endeavor it's drifting from the point of the thread.  I agree that only by owning your business will you reap all the benefits but not every cook and chef can or will go that route.  I am just trying to sound out other chefs to see 1) if they have any insight into how the news laws may be implemented and 2) how it will affect those of us...
Maybe you hit the jackpot Bill, but your experience is not universal.  Of course it's easier to get rich working for yourself but it's easier to lose your ass, too.  I'm glad to see it worked out well for you but while I don't know if  you do catering or own an actual restaurant but the latter is extremely expensive to get off the ground.  I've done five restaurant openings just as a hired gun- either as a chef or just a cook- and had a big hand in the planning of the one...
I guess in a way I don't have any freedom!  The customers hold me hostage!  So often chefs have so much ego that they think the customers are breathlessly waiting for their next stroke of inspired culinary genius.  But it's the customer that ultimately makes the call. When I first came into the place I did higher end stuff and it went over okay, but I have more luck with the folksier stuff to be honest.  Flatbread pizzas, comfort foods, etc.  I try for a mix of "high...