or Connect

Posts by Phaedrus

Heston Blumenthal does a burger that he sous vides then plops in liquid nitrogen!  The nitrogen is several hundred degrees below zero so it chills the outer layer to the point that he can sear the crap out of it w/o overcooking.  It also really helps if you can start out with very thick steaks.  Ideally cut them yourself.  I like to cut a top so it's practically a cube; with sv it will still have perfect edge-to-edge doneness but you can sear it pretty hard w/o getting...
Out of curiosity why 134?  I do 130-131 if I'm going to pasteurize but if not I think you may as well cook between 125-130.  Just the way I like to do it but 134 is really the top side of what you could call medium rare, getting close to medium.  Does look tasty though!
If nothing else pans out drop by the [url=http://www.cheftalk.com/f/71/cooking-knife-reviews]cooking knife area.[/url]  Most of us knife nerds hang out there.  What kind of knives are you looking to have done?
To be honest, I don't even remember how I wound up here.  I just wandered in one day and made myself at home.  Looking back I think I was sous at a hotel property when I joined.  That dates back to about the time I first really "discovered" the net.  I'm a moderator at a couple of audio forums and have been there for 10 or 11 years.  Must have joined them shortly after I started building my own computers.   It's been quite a ride!  I left that sous job for a better...
Hahaha!  No, not yet!  Like a bad penny I keep turning up.
Yeah, the optimal temp for setting the whites in about 6 degrees F higher than the optimal (to me) temp for the yolks.  147 is a little too low for the yolks, too.  I like 156.
Interesting- I got to looking at the date and I realize I've been here at CT forum for nine years this month!  Time really flied.  I've enjoyed the time here, great site.
Nice.  I have a brisket cooking in mine right now, too.  It's been cooking since late Monday night at 131 F.  When I get back from work Thurs night I'll take it out (right around the 72 hour mark).
That sounds really good, will have to try it.
The 64C egg has a sublime yolk but the white sucks IMO.  They get away it with because the yolk is the only part anyone likes anyways!  That pic looks really good, I'll have to try it!