or Connect

Posts by Tommy D

Thank you for the warm welcome everybody. I really appreciate it, and I'll be sure to post some photos in the galleries : )   Tom
I picked up this knife over a month ago, and it's still sharp enough to shave with:   http://www.ebay.com/itm/221007092680?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649   It was so nice (and comfortable) that after a week I ordered the same brand nakiri knife from the same seller, and I'm super happy with that as well.   Tom
For me it would have to be "Hippie food", like not-dogs and Tofurkey.   T
With any white fish (walleye works best), you can poach it with salt and honey, then put it in a bowl with finely chopped celery, parley leaves, pepper, old bay, and lemon juice, then fold in some mayonnaise.   Put that on a lightly toasted bun, and blammo… poor man’s lobster roll!   T
How about Pizza dough? It's fun to make, or cheap to buy fresh at your local pizza shop. In addition to endless varieties of pizzas you can make, try some calzones, stromboli's, garlic knots, bread sticks, etc.   For a new twist on tacos, make a taco pizza using salsa for the sauce, cheddar for the cheese topping, and taco meat over the top. After cooking, sprinkle with diced onions, shredded lettuce, cilantro, chives, sliced black olives, and dollops of sour...
You should obviously purchase something you've needed or wanted in the kitchen, but you could also treat yourself to some spices that you normally wouldn't have purchased otherwise.   I see my spice cabinet as a "chemistry set", and I enjoy reading about a particular spice, getting familiar with it, and experimenting / incorporating it in various dishes. While it might not be a big deal for a professional chef, as a home cook, my latest acquisitions were cardimom...
Without a doubt, this is my "go to" book that I keep on my end table. It's a comprehensive dictionary / encyclopedia of food terms and ingredients, which covers origin / history, recommended uses, cross references, and just about anything else you want to know.   The appendix contains loads of valuable information including weights and measures, a pasta glossary, seasoning suggestions, etc.   My other favorite book(s) are "Good Eats" (Vol. 1, 2, and 3) by Alton Brown. In...
Hi everyone, it’s great to be here!   I just stumbled on this place a couple of weeks ago, and I can see that this is going to be my most frequently visited forum.   I’m a glass blower by trade, and while I’ve always loved to cook, I have been pursuing it passionately for the past several years. In addition to the act of cooking, I enjoy learning about food and food science… what happens and why.   To me, the best thing about cooking is making people happy...