or Connect

Posts by vonshu

Thanks for the advice everyone! Also, I was told by somebody who has worked as a cook in the past that most places won't hire people for part-time kitchen jobs because it isn't worth it to train them. Is this true? Because with going to school currently, I could only get a part time job for now.
what is the benefit of adding the pasta water?
Hello all, so cooking/food are my greatest passions and I've been cooking since at least 14 (now 21). I would consider myself quite experienced in the home cooking realm but I have never had a cooking job really, or any significant work experience for that matter. I'm currently attending university (3rd year - studying environmental anthropology) but my dream is to be a great chef and/or own a restaurant that sources as much locally and sustainably produced food as...
I'd be interested to know it.
So, as I understand it, seasoned cast iron would be the best option to sear something like a steak. However, I know that you shouldn't add acidic elements like red wine to cast iron, as the metallic taste can leach out into the food. Given this, what would be the best material to use if I wanted to sear some steaks, and then deglaze with red wine to make a pan sauce? Would stainless steel be better for this application, even though it won't sear/fond as well? Can anyone...
any ideas?
try making your own pesto, guarantee it will be better than almost any store bought pesto.
Cook the curry powder in some butter or ghee over medium heat in a saucepan for 1-2 minutes, or until very fragrant, before you do anything else with it. Make sure you are stirring often so that it doesn't burn. This will help remove the "powdery" flavor and also enhance the desirable flavors. Then go ahead and add coconut milk (or water, though this will not produce as good of a sauce; depends on what you are using it for) to the saucepan and simmer for a few minutes....
1. What is the difference between braising on the stove top and braising in the oven? What are the pros and cons?   2. I don't have a dutch oven. Can I use my 10 qt stainless steel stockpot to braise in the oven?   3. Specifically, I am going to be braising beef chuck roast stew and lamb shanks (not together) in the near future. Would it be better to do these on the stove top or in the oven? Will the stock pot do or should I get a dutch over or something...
Hi, I'm planning on making a pumpkin beef stew, but I was looking for some advice on the best ingredients to use (mainly I just want to know if any of these flavors will conflict with the other).   I'm planning on using...   -Roast some pumpkins then puree them as the base of the stew -Some sort of beef. What cut would be best? I assume something attached to a bone would be best so that it would impart the most flavor to the stew -Beef stock -Red wine...