or Connect

Posts by Dezie

I spent 2 days prepping an Escoffier appetizer, egg chops served with a tomato sauce, for a special this weekend. I didnt sell a one. Thats the worst thing about being a chef.   You put everything you have into a dish and it isnt liked...damn, back to the drawing board.
I had this idea and thought I would see if it would work.     I took two rabbits, seasoned and seared in a frying pan, stuffed with mirepiox and thyme.  Sear off mushrooms in the fond, deglaze and set aside.   Then place chopped carrots in a tall pot and caramelize. Then get some color on the the onion and celery too, then deglaze and pince.   Now place rabbits on top.   Cover with 50/50 red wine and Glace de viande.   Cook at 180 for 24...
So this is how I ended up doing it. My pumpkin and maple extract were not ordered. SO I had to improvise. The croquettes are butter nut squash. Fried sweet potato crisp. Rosettes of stabilized marshmallow fluff and a cornell of creme fresh.    Thanks for everyones advice.  
Last night I made a bread pudding.   I took croissants and let them stale. Then mixed 4 eggs, 1 pint of heavy cream, 2 cup  granulated sugar and 1 cup turbinado sugar. 1 oz amaretto and 1 oz  caravella (lemoncello orginale) and one thinly sliced granny smith apple.   Dice the croissants, and layer with the apples. Then pour the cream mix over the bread and allow to soak for 45 minutes. Then sprinkled a hand full of turbinado sugar over the top...
So here is my home attempt of the app, theyre dusted with kosher salt and toasted pumpkin seed dust.   For the app in the restaurant Im thinking of plating on a triangle plate with the creme fresh whips at the tips of the triangle, with the croquettes in the middle, but Im totally stuck on a garnish. IF I dont come up with something good my chef will just throw micro greens on it.   Does any one have a good garnish suggestion?      
At work we have a pumpkin carving competition starting friday. Top prise is 100 dollars, Id really like to win.   Heres my idea. An alien in front of flying saucers and a cityscape under attack.   Ive got a bunch of pumpkins to practice on, and my fruit carving kit will come this week.   This is just my rough draft. Hows the look so far? Do I think it looks better than it really does?   Any carving tips and or image ideas would be...
I have a responsibility to come up with specials for my station, appetizers, and I have this idea for a savory pumpkin croquette. I wanted to make it using fresh pumpkin, but in trying the Idea out I have been having trouble to thicken it enough to hold its shape without lots of starch. So here's the idea? Pumpkin, butter, nutmeg, and corn starch. I creamed the butter and pumpkin. Then dusted in the corn starch (and nutmeg) till it was manageable. Using a 1.5 ounce...
This is a very good book that has some very good information and it is my text book in school. But once you've learned the skills it has to teach you the book doesn't have very many recipes. If you already know the basics this book will be a waste of a lot of money. Besides school I never check the book for anything, I'll go to my copy of The French Laundry or Escoffier before pro chef.
Lean pockets...ya I know.