or Connect

Posts by chadateit

For Mushrooms, I'd start by buying the David Arora book's "Mushrooms Demystified" (lots of detail, TONS of different species) and "All the rains bring..." (Pocket guide). Both are kinda Norcal centric, but will apply very well to most of what you'll see in SoCal. MDM is pretty much the bible that most folks in western North America use for mushrooms these days.  Mykoweb is a great online resource companion with these books... Again, very California-centric...
 All of the stuff I wrote is just about getting in the door to get that stage. Once you get to that point, your work on the spot will speak for itself. Just getting in the door at some of these places is the hard part. Sounds like you do have some contacts you can work with. Good luck!!!
I have a bit of michelin star experience, but not at the 3 star level, so take my words with a grain of salt. I actually just talked to a friend about this that did stage and get a job offer from a 3 star place last month - I won't be any more specific about what place, or even where in the world, cause it's not my story to tell. There are very few 3 michelin star places, which means very few actual jobs. These places are bombarded with people that want to get in the...
I used to do whole trout (sometimes multiple in a pan, in just regular heavy bottomed stainless steel pans. Trout came out beautiful, crispy skin every time. My preference, personally, is to do most fish in cast iron, but it actually takes a little work by your cooks to maintain them through service. The key is a heavy bottom/high heat capacity. past that, it really shouldn't matter. Definitely wouldn't use non-stick for anything in a pro kitchen, outside of eggs, if I...
I don't disagree and I don't steal, period. I was making a point about wage theft, which is far more predominant, IME, than the other kind of theft being discussed in this thread.
First off, I find stealing to be reprehensible, and I have no patience or tolerance for it. Taking leftovers home to eat, that are otherwise headed for the trash, to me, isn't stealing.    Having said that, though, how many of the indignant folks in here are guilty of wage theft? I'd guess all of them. Throughout the industry, it is absolutely ubiquitous, omnipresent, and standard for kitchen staff to not get paid for all of the hours worked. I am VERY lucky if I get...
i worked one place where they said i had to wear a cut glove. I told them on the spot that they could consider that my two weeks notice if they wanted to enforce it. It's unsanitary, slows one down, and messes with accuracy, not to mention causing people to develop really unsafe habits that can cause serious injury when not wearing the glove. Furthermore, the serious cuts I've seen in the kitchen have nothing to do with typical knife work.   As has been mentioned,...
I had a sous chef that made me salt the ice baths. 
Why is it so difficult to just start em in a pan on the stove, baste with a little butter and drop in a blazing hot oven for a few minutes? Unless its a fast food place or the meatballs are meatloaf sized, it's a super easy pickup.
Most of its been covered, but another thing I woul recommend is to study at home. What I mean is mentally go through each dish on yor station. When X is called, what pans go down in what order and what goes in each in what order. Do this as much as needed, so there's no hesitation in knowing. Eventually it becomes second nature. Really, I find the cooking part of Sautee fun. What makes it hectic is when you don't have plating help. That part gets extra tricky working out...