or Connect

Posts by Jellly

All of those cookies should be fine made ahead and frozen. Place them on the sheetpans ahead and hold in fridge before baking.
I have had to do quite a few vegan desserts, but that oil restriction is tough. Do you have more specifics on their concerns? Is all fat restricted or would they eat something made with coconut oil, as I think the texture works very well for vegan. I also find Earth Balance to be helpful in baked goods. However, if it needs to be fat-free AND vegan, I'm picturing lots of fruit and sorbet. Here I as a mousse recipe that is vegan. Easy and...
I agree that most chefs and cooks do not wear their uniform to work, it is not considered clean.  It is far more common in the places I have worked for people to put on the coat after arriving to work. I have seen this enough over the years that when I do see someone in a chef coat outside of work it somehow seems unprofessional.
I just saw the movie and was surprised I didn't find another thread already discussing it (unless I missed it in my search?) I really enjoyed the movie and was impressed with how many real world chef problems they were able to capture. I was literally gleeful during the scene regarding the soul-crushing lava cake. Nailed it! Any one else see it?
I read a previous thread on this topic about two years ago and took many posters' advice and bought a Thermapen.  It is still going strong and incredibly accurate.
Welcome, Gloria. I, too, live in Vegas. I am really enjoying the weather right now.
I have frozen many varieties of cakes and mousses without problem.  I don't have trouble with the gelatin, but I was testing a recipe that used cornstarch as a thickener and it didn't freeze well at all. If your mousse seems rubbery, I wonder if the defrost cycle of your freezer could be affecting it the same way ice cream won't hold nice in certain freezers. I routinely have mousse cakes in my freezer at work for one or two weeks without issues.  I keep them very well...
I have made ice creams without eggs and had them be very creamy, but that is because of the fat content.  My recipe uses milk, cream and sour cream.  Of the gelling agents and thickeners listed in the original post, I agree that most have to be heated to work properly (especially iota and kappa carrageenans).  Guar gum, however, will thicken your goat milk and reduce the formation of ice crystals without heating.  However, reducing ice crystals is not the same as...
I found this article very interesting -  http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/03/chefs-discuss-state-of-restaurant-desserts.html   Mostly because I have seen much of this first hand.  It makes me sad, but I do understand the financials of it.  When I lived in Napa, CA there were so many fantastic little restaurants with imaginative entrees and boring desserts.  Panna cotta and creme brulee were everywhere.  One fine dining restaurant I worked in really wanted their pastry...
There is already a lot of good advice here, so I am only commenting on the part of your post related to chocolatiers in America.  I know there aren't a lot, but I do work with one in Las Vegas.  Several of the nicer resorts here have a full time chocolatier, but that still doesn't equal more than a handful.  However, there are quite a few chocolate sculptures done throughout the year and daily bonbon and confections produced.  I am a restaurant pastry chef, but I work with...