or Connect

Posts by Jellly

The vodka is a good suggestion.  Really, making ice cream or gelato in a home machine is difficult because it does tend to freeze quite hard.   I have found that certain recipes yield better results.  It's not gelato, but Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream book is geared towards home cooks.  I have also found mixes that incorporate a little sour cream, creme fraiche or sweetened condensed milk will keep a creamier consistency at home.  You can also increase the amount of sugar to...
I think butter is around 81% fat, if I substitute it for shortening (which is 100% fat) I adjust by weight.
http://m.eater.com/archives/2014/09/09/dave-arnold-and-harold-mcgee-at-harvard-the-past-twenty-years-of-food-and-science.php A fascinating article that includes an argument for starting your mushrooms in a cold pan and keeping them crowded. Among other tidbits.
Cremeux recipe example: Fruit [URL][/URL] For a chocolate cremeux just go the Valrhona website and they have dozens. They do a nice chart so you can substitute different varieties of chocolate and flavors.
I have made various flavors of cremeux and see it as a specific item and have never made one with starch as you would a pastry cream. Generally you start with an anglaise, though if it is a fruit cremeux this stage is generally eggs, sugar and puree. Often there is gelatin added, then it is either poured over chocolate and mixed or cooled to 140 and butter is incorporated. The end result is firm enough to be layered in a dessert and hold it's shape or pipeable.
Maybe your base wasn't cold enough or you left it in too long. Over-churning will ruin the texture, too.
Really both can be a path to success. Don't worry about the names, but what is a good fit for you. I went to pastry school and loved it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I also had a previous degree in business which has been just as helpful in my success. I labored over the same question when I was starting out, but I'm not sure it matters. If you are smart and motivated, you will reach your goal by either path.
I work in a dry climate, too. But we did get humidity for a few weeks and it wreaks havoc with my sugar decor. My best solution was to use a dehumidifier in a closed room overnight. Then, in the morning to my sugar work and pack well with desiccant. Even then, it doesn't last long.
I don't know much about the schools out here.  I do have employees that have degrees from the local schools, but have only had one on intern.  Most get hired after they graduate.  I do know that Las Vegas has a mix of good and bad for people in the pastry field - the unemployment rate here is higher than the national average, but the cost of living is much better than other American food towns.  Many of the hotels are union, so the jobs come with great benefits and I...
Tangerine - I went to pastry school in 2004.  Now I am a pastry chef and love what I do.  But.  There is no simple answer for any of us to give to someone else because our industry is undergoing a lot of changes.  When the recession hit the US, many high-end restaurants were struggling and I don't think that sector of the market ever fully recovered.  You have a lot of fine dining chefs that branched out to open gastropubs and such.  Diners no longer wanted to drop $300 on...