or Connect

Posts by Jellly

Don't wash the tubes between use, just wipe them down. And take the cannoli off while hot.
You are on the right track with using acid to balance sweetness. Maybe try something bitter? That can balance it as well. Maybe if you give specific examples of a dish you are working on, you will get more suggestions.
The vodka is a good suggestion.  Really, making ice cream or gelato in a home machine is difficult because it does tend to freeze quite hard.   I have found that certain recipes yield better results.  It's not gelato, but Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream book is geared towards home cooks.  I have also found mixes that incorporate a little sour cream, creme fraiche or sweetened condensed milk will keep a creamier consistency at home.  You can also increase the amount of sugar to...
I think butter is around 81% fat, if I substitute it for shortening (which is 100% fat) I adjust by weight.
http://m.eater.com/archives/2014/09/09/dave-arnold-and-harold-mcgee-at-harvard-the-past-twenty-years-of-food-and-science.php A fascinating article that includes an argument for starting your mushrooms in a cold pan and keeping them crowded. Among other tidbits.
Cremeux recipe example: Fruit [URL][/URL] For a chocolate cremeux just go the Valrhona website and they have dozens. They do a nice chart so you can substitute different varieties of chocolate and flavors.
I have made various flavors of cremeux and see it as a specific item and have never made one with starch as you would a pastry cream. Generally you start with an anglaise, though if it is a fruit cremeux this stage is generally eggs, sugar and puree. Often there is gelatin added, then it is either poured over chocolate and mixed or cooled to 140 and butter is incorporated. The end result is firm enough to be layered in a dessert and hold it's shape or pipeable.
Maybe your base wasn't cold enough or you left it in too long. Over-churning will ruin the texture, too.
Really both can be a path to success. Don't worry about the names, but what is a good fit for you. I went to pastry school and loved it, but it definitely isn't for everyone. I also had a previous degree in business which has been just as helpful in my success. I labored over the same question when I was starting out, but I'm not sure it matters. If you are smart and motivated, you will reach your goal by either path.
I work in a dry climate, too. But we did get humidity for a few weeks and it wreaks havoc with my sugar decor. My best solution was to use a dehumidifier in a closed room overnight. Then, in the morning to my sugar work and pack well with desiccant. Even then, it doesn't last long.