or Connect

Posts by Jellly

I have frozen many varieties of cakes and mousses without problem.  I don't have trouble with the gelatin, but I was testing a recipe that used cornstarch as a thickener and it didn't freeze well at all. If your mousse seems rubbery, I wonder if the defrost cycle of your freezer could be affecting it the same way ice cream won't hold nice in certain freezers. I routinely have mousse cakes in my freezer at work for one or two weeks without issues.  I keep them very well...
I have made ice creams without eggs and had them be very creamy, but that is because of the fat content.  My recipe uses milk, cream and sour cream.  Of the gelling agents and thickeners listed in the original post, I agree that most have to be heated to work properly (especially iota and kappa carrageenans).  Guar gum, however, will thicken your goat milk and reduce the formation of ice crystals without heating.  However, reducing ice crystals is not the same as...
I found this article very interesting -  http://www.grubstreet.com/2014/03/chefs-discuss-state-of-restaurant-desserts.html   Mostly because I have seen much of this first hand.  It makes me sad, but I do understand the financials of it.  When I lived in Napa, CA there were so many fantastic little restaurants with imaginative entrees and boring desserts.  Panna cotta and creme brulee were everywhere.  One fine dining restaurant I worked in really wanted their pastry...
There is already a lot of good advice here, so I am only commenting on the part of your post related to chocolatiers in America.  I know there aren't a lot, but I do work with one in Las Vegas.  Several of the nicer resorts here have a full time chocolatier, but that still doesn't equal more than a handful.  However, there are quite a few chocolate sculptures done throughout the year and daily bonbon and confections produced.  I am a restaurant pastry chef, but I work with...
Francisco Migoya uses caramel glaze in two of his cookbooks.  I don't have them with me now, but you might find the recipes online.  I have used them with great success both as is and with substitutions (passion caramel and coffee caramel).  
I'm sorry, but I think hands-on learning is pretty important for pastry. You can, and certainly should, augment your hands on experience with other types of learning.  I just think too many of the basics have to be mastered by doing.  If you don't want to attend pastry classes in person, on the job experience would be better than online.
Does it have to be cheesecake?  Unless you have individual ring molds or silicone, it might be easier to do a different component that will cut better.  Maybe a cream cheese cremeux, which should cut nicely when frozen with clean edges.  You could layer it on a brownie and top with white chocolate mousse. You can cut cheesecake with a hot knife fairly well, but will sometimes still encounter "flaking".
I felt the same way.  Making a new dish taste good was always easier for me than making it look pretty.  I have a suggestion, just don't laugh!  I see more and more international chefs posting pictures on Pinterest.  If you take the time to figure it out and not look at all the other junk, you will soon be able to build your own page of beautiful desserts for inspiration.   I have to create desserts for different styles of restaurants, so I build a page for each - Asian,...
I do some vegan cooking at work and have to admit it is a little hit or miss.  In some recipes almond or soy milk work fine.  Coconut milk can also be good because of the added fat content, but I don't believe you will find an absolute substitute rule of thumb (I have looked).  You shouldn't have to change the quantity, but you will have to experiment a bit. If it is only lactose you are avoiding, you can find some high fat butters that have almost no lactose, however if...
I have never heard of an uncooked sabayon.  But I do think you find so many variations, because people keep experimenting and finding different ways to make frozen desserts that don't necessarily fit the same category of semifreddo, frozen mousse, souffle glace or the like.  I have been doing one that is a lot less airy than a semifreddo, but works great being molded into shapes and perfect texture out of the freezer - sweetened condensed milk and whipped cream, then I...