or Connect

Posts by ZEN!!!

It's funny. One of the cooks at my restaurant and I were talking about Chef's pants the other day. He said he was about to order some from Chefwear when he saw how much just three pairs would cost him. So instead, he went to TJ Maxx and bought a bunch of cheap dress pants and wears those instead. So, maybe that's an option for you.
Hey, I was in your same position a few years ago. 25, BA in English, etc... As far as I know, a lot of culinary schools have rolling admissions, meaning that you can apply whenever for their earliest start date. I was looking into culinary school for quite some time, and that's what I found. I'm currently cooking the line in a casual fine dining restaurant in Boston. I started out just sort of interning for free. I worked two nights for no money. I knew very...
I work in Cambridge, just outside of Boston, but still on the subway lines. The guys in my kitchen make anywhere from $11-13/hr. I'm currently part time and I make $10/hr. I know that at some of the more prestigious restaurants, some cooks are making $100/shift flat, no matter if you have very little prep to do and come in late or if you're there at the crack of dawn because if you don't, you'll be in the weeds all night long. Hope that helps. Cheers. ZEN!!!
Wow, I didn't expect to see so many responses. Thanks for all of your input. I've been researching insurance and I've found that I can get basic medical & dental for $149/month, which would work out to just under $40 per paycheck. It doesn't sound quite as bad as I had thought, but I'm sure I'm just numbed by the fact that I've had the income of two jobs. I'm not likely to quit working at my current restaurant to go full time at a corporate kitchen. I love...
It's been so long since i've been on this forum... It was nice checking on how this topic progressed and hearing what Columbus has gotten himself into. I figured that since I'm about to hit a personal milestone, I'd update a bit. So I've now been working in the kitchen part time (averaging 33 hours/week, but doing upwards of 46 a few times) for over a year and a half. My debt is now gone. I've made myself a staple in the kitchen. I have also vested at my day job...
Hi, I've been cooking the line for a little more than a year an a half part time (though I have usually averaged around 36 hours/wk)in addition to working a day job. I'm about to make the leap into cooking full time and I have a few questions about health insurance. None of the guys in my kitchen have health insurance, yet family and friends keep urging me to get it an tell me that I need to have it in place before I even quit the day job. From a kitchen...
So any of y'all workin' yet?
I graduated college in 2000 with two BAs and have worked in the financial industry for the past five years and decided in December that I wanted to move from the financial services industry to the food service industry. When I started looking for places to get experience, I knew that I couldn't leave my day job. I had some major debt from drinking away my depression spawning from cubicle life. So, I decided that I would try to find somewhere that I could intern at...
Hah, I know exactly what you mean. I've been looking at culinary schools over the past four or five months. I, too, had it narrowed down to FCI and CCA. I went to visit FCI and I absolutely loved it. The faculty & staff were absolutely amazing. I spent an entire day there in their level 1 class taught by Chef Pascal Beric (on organ meat day, which was amusing and eye-opening, as I expected all of the people in the class to be down with eating everythnig which...
Hi, My personal recommendations are The California Grill in the Contemporary Resort, and Flying Fish and Spoodles in the Boardwalk Resort. I've been going to Disney World since I was 4 years old. It was the only place that my parents would take my brother and I on vacation. They still go down a couple of times a year in addition to cruising. Up until a couple of years ago, I had gone down at least once a year. Anyways, those are my recommendations. I have...