or Connect

Posts by hipjoint

===== to answer your first question: there are many, MANY threads on this subject, but for me, a good cooking knife is one that: (1) is sharp and stays sharp (2) is easy to resharpen (3) is big enough to do the job (4) is straight (unbelievable how many blades are crooked, bent, or twisted) (5) has a tight, comfortable handle. ===== to answer your second question: the answer is workmanship and quality control. to be honest, there are a lot of good german...
there are already natural oils in the wood and any oil you add is only enough to replace the oils leeched out due to washing, hot water, etc. the oil also repels moisture (like chicken juice) from going into the wood and providing a new home for all sorts of nasty bits. john boos, totally bamboo, and all the other makers of fine wooden cutting boards recommend using mineral oil to freshen up your boards. (olive oil, corn oil, safflower oil and all other organic ... as...
among the "middle priced knives" i would rate the shuns "the best" of the bunch. this is based on the fact that i have A LOT of knives (over 150!) and have used them all and lived with them (as opposed to someone who has "used" one at a friend's house or something), often using three or more in one cutting session to compare side by side the different brands of knives under the same conditions. for example, i will hand slice potatoes for chips. (yeah, i could use a...
snapping knives are not the exclusive right of cheap knives. i have seen lots of pricey knives snap and for lots of weird reasons. a friend of mine at a cutlery shop tells me he had to deal with about thirty snapped wusthofs last year. i had a friend show me an ittosai sashimi knife he snapped a while back ... it had set him back $900!! seems that pricey knives snap more often because they have harder, stiffer steel so they are less likely to flex and bend under...
are your ... uhhhhh ... "customers" open to cold poached chicken? boil enough water to cover the chicken, add slices of fresh ginger and some garlic to the water along with some salt and when the water reboils add the chicken and then poach the chicken in 160 degree low simmer until done on a quick read thermometer. remove the chicken and drain on rack, cool to room temp. slice into serving sized slices and drizzle with some hot garlic-infused olive oil before...
the weirdest dream i had was dreaming that i was on one of my many camping trips and around the campfire with some good friends we were roasting and eating the absolutely BIGGEST marshmallows in the world! took me all night to eat one!! then when i woke up in the morning my pillow was missing.
unfortunately, good food is good food if you like eating it. i have lots of friends who love some of my more "off the menu" items i cook and can't wait for an invitation to come over to the house for a meal. since i do all my own fishing, it isn't often one can get a grilled salmon steak that was marinated in a lemon/yuzu/balsamico and finished with a mango/jalapeno chutney where the salmon was swimming three hours ago. talk about fresh! but i can't stand the smell or...
===== i agree ... and with a background of mostly chinese and italian cooking, i would have to say that veggies cooked through taste better and are easier to digest. if someone wants veggies "al dente", eat a salad. italians (traditionally, any way ...) cook their veggies all the way thru .... and some "nuveau california" types would consider them overdone. when i learned how to cook chinese veggies it was stir fried in a wok but always finished with a little...
i have two of these boards (one i bought and the other was a gift) and not only are they beautiful, they are harder than maple and are great for chopping meat chinese style with two cleavers. they don't require a lot of care, but i do wash them under a hot faucet (never tried a dishwasher but why would you want to??) and have wiped them down once a month with the boos mystery wood oil and they are as beautiful as new. my concern for the dishwasher is not the bamboo but...
i own two of the calphalon 12" non-stick anodized aluminum pans (but not the contemporary which is a different handle shape) and i use them a lot. the non-stick has not flaked off after many years of use and with the usual care for non-stick. they take a little while to heat but are fairly even heating. i got mine for $29.99 as a "special" at bed, bath, and beyond, but the $39.99 is a good, fair price. i think a better buy is at a local restaurant supply where you...