or Connect

Posts by crusso

Thanks for your thoughts. I've heated pans all my life, but when I wanted to find out if taking longer to heat the oil (because of adding it to a cold pan) might affect it in some way, I tried looking in several books and could not find anyone addressing the 'why' of pre-heating pans, besides the obvious saving of time. Again, Thanks Carmine Russo
Hello Everyone, I have heard and read that one should always heat the pan first before adding cooking oil. I don't know why one should do this as compared to adding room temp oil to a room temp pan, and then turning on the heat until the oil is hot enough to cook in. Does anyone know why we heat the pan first? Please let me know, Thanks! Carmine
I tried to find the drinking game, but couldn't. It seems to have been removed, or no longer working. Anyone know how I can read/view it? Thanks Carmine
Water boils at 212 degrees f. at sea level. Will they teach you that at any cordon bleu, or A.I., or CIA...you bet; it's a fact. Water still boils at 212 degrees f. at sea level. Will they teach you that at a low cost community college...yup; it's a fact. A salmon is a salmon, and one can know if it is fresh in a varity of ways; one can fabricate it in several ways, and there are certain cooking methods that will work better with it than others. Will they teach...
Hello, I have a million of em, and you didn't say if there was a specific type of game recipe you are most hoping for. Here is a recipe for Roast Antelope, by Dan Sommer, of West Allis, Wisconsin. Serves: 8 Prep Time: 5 hours Antelope Roast S&P 3 yellow onions, slice 1/2" strips 4 lbs. Canned tomatoes 1/2 cup diced celery, 3/4 " dice 12 oz. mushrooms, leave whole, or cut in half bay leaf rosemary thyme parsley 2 cups dry red wine Flour, salt and...
Hello Andy, There are some very good schools in Chicago, for sure. But I advise not going far into debt with culinary schools (unless you have the money or means to get out quickly). There are hundreds of culinary schools at the community college level. Go to www.acfchefs.org to get a complete list of nationally accredited schools around the U.S. Some community colleges are tuition-free for residents of the State they are located in. Some people move to other...
1. Students who want to be a Chef because they saw a show on the Food Network and think that is what being a chef is like. 2. Students who want to be a chef, but smoke cigarettes and drink coffee non stop and can't taste anything. 3. Students who want to be a chef, but refuse to taste anything they think they won't like the flavor of, i.e. foie gras, liver, various sausages/charcuterie, tounge, tofu (for God sake!), limburger cheese, bleu cheeses, kalamat olives...
Can't say that I have, but I'll have to try it if I'm ever in the area. If anyone out there is ever in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and you have lots of money just burning a hole in your pocket, you'll find some fabulous food and service at: The Compound, Geronimo's, and The Old House. The plate presentations are as good as you'll find, beautiful and tasty...just a bit pricey. Get over the money part and you'll be able to enjoy a fabulous meal. If you happen to be down...
I haven't read all the replies, but it looks like you've gotten plenty of good information. For a raspberry sauce, I also, would probably either use a cornstarch slurry (made with cool raspberry juice or liqour instead of water), or possibly, depending on the amount of sauce you're making, simply let it reduce over a very low flame. This will cause it to not only thicken, but to intensify in flavor as well. Roux and cream will certainly change the dark...
You can technically call yourself a Chef the minute you are the person responsible for everything that goes on in the kitchen you are in charge of. Another thing many Chefs do is get professional certification. By doing this you don't have to wonder if you should call yourself a chef, you have a professional organization who will do that for you. Two organizations come to mind, although there are other options. The American Culinary Federation has certification...