or Connect

Posts by Glenn

We have one and love it. When we got it, there were about 3 levels of "plushness" to choose from. I think they were the 4000, 5000, and 6000 models at that time. I guess the numbers have changed, but the concept is still the same. You can adjust the firmness from 20 to 100, and every number in between. If you get warm easily when in bed, I would stay away from the most plush one with the thinkest pillow top. It traps more heat in all that padding. We got the...
It's people! Soylent Green is people! It's PEEEEE - PULLLLLL !!! -- Chuckie Heston in Soylent Green Glenn
Andy M., Thanks for the reply. So far, from what info I can gather, I would likely go with either All-Clad or the Falk copper. They're roughly the same price. I wouldn't get the polished type copper (such as Mauviel), as it would be difficult to maintain, and it is much more expensive. But, I'll keep the brushed Falk copper in the running. Now, it's decision time. Any more input is more than welcome. Thanks. Glenn
Andy M wrote: <<..."The point of either metal is for even distribution of heat with no hot spots. If stainless and aluminum tri-ply does that without issue, then isn't the copper just for appearance/bragging rights?"...>> Andy, I don't know the answer. That's why I'm asking. I'm asking for comparisons. If someone has used both, and can compare, that would be great. Or, if you have used either one, I welcome those comments, too. As for appearance, there's...
I forgot to say what the copper pans were. They are the Falk copper pans lined with stainless steel. They are 2.5 mm thick. (That seems toward the thick end compared to most copper pans.) They have riveted cast iron handles. They look heavy duty. They are found at Falkculinair.com On the Falks, of the 2.5 mm, almost all is copper. There is a layer of .008" of stainless steel liner. I've already steered away from All-Clad's "Cop-R-Chef" line, as it is only copper...
Devotay, I understand your question. I'm just not sure I can give an answer. It's one of those things where I know it when I see it, but can't necessarily define it. If I think of a better way to express myself, I'll post it here in the future. It's kind of like that old saying from a judge years ago. "I don't have a definition for obscenity, but I know it when I see it." (No, I'm not saying your forum is obscene. I'm just saying it's hard for me to give a...
I posted this earlier under another title, but got no replies. Perhaps it was that people's eyes roll over when they see a questions asking to compare All-Clad to copper? I don't know, but here goes again. I'm fairly new here and a relative amateur at cooking. I'm getting tired of buying Wal-Mart quality pans and throwing them out frequently. I decided it's time to get some very good quality pots and pans. I'll look at it as an investment, and I'm not afraid to...
Devotay, After a bit more reading of Slow Food, I'd have to say I basically agree with the sentiments of phatch. Although many of the goals of Slow Food are admirable, I don't want to be part of it. There are too many examples of politics and elitism in its forums. As phatch says, I'm not going to go reciting them, as it will lead nowhere but a futile round of "He said... She said". Perhaps our definition of elitism doesn't fit your dictionary definiton of...
Originally Posted by Glenn It also contained lots of typical liberal drivel and nonsense. -- you make your point of view pretty clear... And if it contained right wing nut stuff, I would have pointed that out, too. So, what are my politics? Pointing out political leanings of others' web-sites does not mean I stated MY politics. On another site, I pointed out that Jerry Falwell is a right-wing nut. So, did I state that I am a liberal? I have pointed out liberal...
Andy M, I agree with you. It's the FOOD network; not the chefs or cooks network. Mezzaluna, I agree with you about Unwrapped. I'm a history buff, so I enjoy the bit of food history the show gives. Chiffonade, We'll make it a tri-fecta. I agree with your statement, "I think Emeril has done for cooking in this generation what Julia Child did in her heyday - He makes cooking approachable." It seems quite a few chef types don't like Emeril (I think they're...