or Connect

Posts by chefrjl

.................? O..K..seafood is a good topic as well. Not sure it has much to do with a thread about the chefs collaborative. (of which is an association of local growers in a given area.) I guess if you live near the water or something. I live in Cincinnati, therefore no major port.
Man I've heard of some crazy things when it comes to paying associates. I once consulted for a caterer that didn't pay overtime, but would take the overtime hours worked and pay them back durring slow times at regular rate. Talk about dancing around the ethics. Honestly, and I know that it takes money to live, but the opportunity you have to step in and go through an opening in a leadership capacity will be priceless to your resume and development. Not to mention you are...
Pgram. I was getting ready to say the same thing when I read your post. my tragic downfall, I assume people already know some of these things. Sorry ya'll, i forgot to add it before.
GO TO EUROPE! Work and train under someone. Make alliances. Learn technique and application at the same time. Be broke, work hard, eat peasant foods. (and learn to cook them) Discover wine. Visit parma, Italy. Go to the Truffle market in France. Learn how to make both bouillabaise's (the right way).......Basically, find your path, and get excited about the passionate lives you will soon live. Create experiences around food, because your experiences are what keep you...
Big supporter here. Cincinnati has an unbelievable following. They host a party once a year, and it has quickly become a tour de force of the who's who of chefs and foodies in the the entire area. And it gets unbelievable press. Hope you guys have as much success. There is a website, I think. Admin: If I find it, can I post the link? You know what though?........no matter how big it gets and how great the farming is.........no one does quite as good as Farmer Lee....
Abe, if you are cooking in a restaurant, move past the 5 squeeze bottle garnish. It's done. Your guests will respond better to artistic compostion rather than artistic decoration. You want to experiment with cool garnishes? Learn gastriques and get some brushes. Make brush strokes that compliment the dish. Run big stokes near the rims, or on them. (..I know you guys want to crucify me for saying that) Plum Gastrique would compliment your flank steak well, as I assume there...
Apricots, asparagus, tomato, beets, whatever you want to use. Try this, and this is good mental application for future use. Cook, puree, strain, reheat, thicken if needed, chill. Use your cooking liquid as thinner, strain twice, always reduce to thicken if time allows. finished product should be velvety, bold in flavor, and preferably not soupy. But honestly, and probably some of you will disagree, it should be absolutely free of sediment.
I once heard someone say they used mashed potatoes. Which, now that I think about it, makes a lot of sense in some applications. I have never tried this so please don't hold me responsible for what you may serve to your guest. But I must say, Lolla Rossa and Mizuna with loaded baked potato dressing does have a unique ring to it.......(I'm joking) I like to use vegetable purees as thickeners and binders. I once used pureed tuna to thicken a vinaigrette for a nicoise. Offset...