or Connect

Posts by JT

Hi again, i forgot to ask: How can you tell when any seafood is safely cooked? I really find this a difficult area to be sure about. I tend to overcook to be safe but then my compromise quality. Any ideas?
Hi How can you tell if you are cooking boiled lobster safety (enough)? Can't really take it out half way and check the flesh so how to do it? Advice would be most gratefully received. Many thanks in anticipation.
Dear jtobin625 many thanks for the reply/interest. i'm not posting as a potential student but rather on the other side of the counter (podium!). Of course there's no difference in the level of interest. I'm likely to have a small part to play in setting up an MBA program in Food Safety Management in the Middle East and in the longer term an MBA in Culinary Arts, possibly aimed at chefs in large hotels who are certainly managers with a great deal of knowledge and...
Hi anyone who looks in! sorry to strike up a new topic for this but i really would like to know about any such course available anywhere (of perhaps similar). This might be in either government or private institutions, (private university or what ever). Then if the information is available some idea of the content of such a course. Many many thanks in anticipation :chef:
Hi as previously mentioned there are a number of critical stages in the 'simple' operation that you are doing. 1. cooking, 2. cooling. 3. freeze storage 4. defrosting, 5. reheating. 1. ensure chicken is cooked through to centre 2. cool as quickly as possible - air circulation is useful and metal is a better conductor of heat that plastic 3. freezing - one portion shouldn't be too much of a problem - make as flat as possible for cold penetration 4. defrost...
Hi there was the horrible story (true unfortunately), about someone working behind a bar flat out on a very hot day. Reached in the fridge and grabbed what was thought to be a bottle of lemonde and drank it down. Tragically some one had decanted bleach into the lemonade bottle thinking it was a handy storage vessel and some how it had got into the fridge. The person lived but had major things in hospital and never actually fully recovered and shortened life...
Thanks Mike Not sure what PM is though - shows my ignorance - but i can learn. Escoffier did make a big contribution to culinary practices apart from all the romantic stuff. It would be great if others came in on this and examined contributions from other well known figures as well. Such discussion can be a useful learning thing. Apart from his culinary flare which is undisputed he did create much terminology which can be traced back to his army days. The...
Hi a very good line for a bit of light stuff of course - it's difficult to think up and/or do a really good 'prank' as so many might infringe health and safety at work and/or food safety, of course. Well, many many years ago when i lived in a staff annex (to the hotel where i worked) along with a few other chefs; we never got on with the landlady (it was a sort of private arrangement with the hotel) so it didn't actually come under hotel control. The landlady also...
Very interesting reply and much to think about. Well, i have even less 'drag' than you. So what about one of those things for us oldies who have something to remember and pass on. I got it wrong, yet again - it's called a Sub-Forum. They have to be put on from behind the scenes i know. I suppose there hasn't been a great deal of history in the past on this site, but we could encourage contributions as there's plenty of culinary history not written, but in people's...
A lot of the kind of knowledge you'd like died with a former tutor of mine earlier this year (as previously mentioned). His name was Harry Cracknell who did the 1979 edition of Guide to Modern Cookery, etc etc.. (He didn't use a computer by the way for any of his dozen odd publications!). However, firstly i shall be only too happy to pass on any little bits of knowledge, anecdotes etc i may have of interest. Secondly, at some stage i could contact Harry's widow and...