or Connect

Posts by Blueicus

My ideal romesco's a bit thick, flavoured with red pepper, almonds, olive oil and some herbs, thickened with bread.  I think a hollandaise-based sauce or a pistou/pesto or something a bit thinner like a chimichurri-like sauce would work well too.
The red beet brings to mind (especially when roasted) maguro tuna, though the flavour and texture are obviously a bit different.  Despite these differences I think it's a good idea to use it as a substitute for tuna in some preparations.   Steam/roast/crust bake the beets in kelp, bonito and salt to infuse some savouriness into them.  Use it as a tuna substitute in maki or nigiri or pair it with a nice and savoury dash-based sauce.  Miso also goes well with beets in my...
Whether hard working or talented, I believe in the realm of teaching and child care one should never praise a child for their 'innate' abilities, but always for the amount of work they put into their work.  I believe the same applies in a kitchen.
Seriously, in Canada our servers' tipped wage is nearly on parity with the regular minimum wage, and some employers (gasp) even pay above that!  If your business is losing money because you can't pay your workers like indentured servants, then your place has bigger issues than the minimum wage law.
If you read the OP the poster mentions that they paid the server to reply to the comments, not pay some sort of independent company, so presumably this server knows the restaurant well enough to know how to reply to the negative post and its details.   As for nipping these posts in the bud by responding to the positive and negative I agree it's a fantastic tactic.  I used to be the CDC of Fable in Vancouver and if you check out their yelp page one of the owners...
Ultimately it depends on the kitchen setup and the type of food you serve.  In a restaurant where the dishes have around 4+ touches and things are plated intricately?  I'd say 5 or 6 is reasonable.  Also depends on cheque average of course.  If they're low then you can't afford as much staff, but if it's higher then you can afford more.  If the room is smaller you can usually make do with a smaller staff than in a room that is larger and you do more bills at once.   At...
Use a pressure cooker
If you're actually filling a role of some sort in the restaurant (be it a chef, sommelier, bar manager, GM, etc.) you should be able to factor into the business a salary for yourself since you're basically replacing a position in your business.  As for labour you're never going to have 100% full labour utilization, people aren't computer processors that you can always just shift around for whatever task's necessary... hell, look at a TV set and look at the number of...
Agreed with the others, as the PC you are there to cater to their needs, so keep it simple and to the point if they want it that way.  As for his vegetarian mother, I too would suggest not to simply leave off the meat on her entree, it's not about pulling fancy tricks but making all the diners feel comfortable with their choices and end up looking like a second-class citizen.  Do an eggplant version for her or a nice mushroom bolognese or something.
Although the OP's post is somewhat vague I do think they bring up an interesting point:  At what point should the chef be absolved from having any ability to cook?  Beyond the costing, inventory, staff management, etc. the chef still has to train staff, keep standards up to a certain level and plan menus.  This at least implies a certain level of cooking ability.  A chef that sends out raw steak as med-well is doing a poor job of setting an example and of quality checking:...