or Connect

Posts by Blueicus

I think it's better to communicate expectations with sous chef(s) and let it flow down from there.  To say I have an unusual managing style is a bit of an understatement, but I hate lists of rules, coming from both a chef and a cook's perspective... I'm not a bloody child.  It's also why I don't own or run chains, large hotels, or anyplace that can't run simply on a mostly verbal culture.  Also I have to admit to giving more leeway to the faults of a hard-working cook that...
Not a children person, but I'll admit to have been surprised by some of the best children (saying between the ages of 8-12) diners in my career lately.  Children that actually behave, eat what they're served and know what a freakin' tasting menu is.  Makes me have the slightest hope for humanity.
I've tried to live my life under the philosophy that if I don't dick around with people or treat them with respect, they'd do that same for me... and to be honest it usually works, except when it doesn't.  Just recently got a small shipment of live BC spot prawns, but these ones were clearly dead for the better part of the day.  Let's just say I'm not paying $20 a pound for them, but at the end of the day it's like pulling freakin' teeth to get any concessions.  As...
My ideal romesco's a bit thick, flavoured with red pepper, almonds, olive oil and some herbs, thickened with bread.  I think a hollandaise-based sauce or a pistou/pesto or something a bit thinner like a chimichurri-like sauce would work well too.
The red beet brings to mind (especially when roasted) maguro tuna, though the flavour and texture are obviously a bit different.  Despite these differences I think it's a good idea to use it as a substitute for tuna in some preparations.   Steam/roast/crust bake the beets in kelp, bonito and salt to infuse some savouriness into them.  Use it as a tuna substitute in maki or nigiri or pair it with a nice and savoury dash-based sauce.  Miso also goes well with beets in my...
Whether hard working or talented, I believe in the realm of teaching and child care one should never praise a child for their 'innate' abilities, but always for the amount of work they put into their work.  I believe the same applies in a kitchen.
Seriously, in Canada our servers' tipped wage is nearly on parity with the regular minimum wage, and some employers (gasp) even pay above that!  If your business is losing money because you can't pay your workers like indentured servants, then your place has bigger issues than the minimum wage law.
If you read the OP the poster mentions that they paid the server to reply to the comments, not pay some sort of independent company, so presumably this server knows the restaurant well enough to know how to reply to the negative post and its details.   As for nipping these posts in the bud by responding to the positive and negative I agree it's a fantastic tactic.  I used to be the CDC of Fable in Vancouver and if you check out their yelp page one of the owners...
Ultimately it depends on the kitchen setup and the type of food you serve.  In a restaurant where the dishes have around 4+ touches and things are plated intricately?  I'd say 5 or 6 is reasonable.  Also depends on cheque average of course.  If they're low then you can't afford as much staff, but if it's higher then you can afford more.  If the room is smaller you can usually make do with a smaller staff than in a room that is larger and you do more bills at once.   At...
Use a pressure cooker