or Connect

Posts by Blueicus

The machines with compressors are always superior to the ones that require you to freeze the bucket.  However, the pacojet works on a different principle because it is essentially a "glorified" ice shaver that basically "pacotizes" a frozen block into a scoop able product.  This means you can packetize anything that is frozen, from sweet to savoury to mousses, etc.  The thing about making sorbets or ice creams with no sugar or stabilizer is that you can't hold the product...
your math is wrong because of several factors:   a)  It is based on a 40 hr. work week. (8 hrs/day).   b)  You only get paid for time you work.  In a week you are generally expected to work 5 days (according to these calculations)   c)  You get paid for 52 weeks of work in a year (it totals out to 364 days in a 'year' 7x52).  This includes the 2 weeks paid allowable vacation.   So what you get is 21x40x52 = 43680.   Of course, few sous chefs actually work 40...
Everybody brings up some interesting points, but I find that for those that advocate only cooking for the customer and all else is being on an ego trip I bring up the point that unless you work in a tiny town with nothing close by within a hundred km, as a restaurant one has some luxury as to how a restaurateur builds their client base.   The restaurant I worked at has faced a major transformation from since I took over to the way it is currently.  Before I was there we...
Vancouver is an interesting city for the industry, a lot of chefs moan about getting good staff, but I don't think it's much different than any other medium-sized market nearby.  There's always job fairs (more for corporate McJobs) and really digging your claws into those culinary schools (only appropriate for entry level positions)
Has anybody attempted to make a dairy-free buttercream-like frosting for a cake?  I'd like to avoid using a margarine-like substitute and prefer to use coconut cream if possible.  Will it emulsify properly with a cooked meringue, or will it just be a total waste of ingredients?
You can, in fact "teach" your customers, however, it must be done from a position of trust.  I go to certain restaurants to eat the predictable and I go to other restaurants ti be surprised.  Depends on what you market yourself as and how you build your clientele.
All this boils down to is how much is the restaurant currently making and what are the costs associated with it?  If you are doing a certain dollar amount on a weekly basis you can pretty much figure out your labour and food cost numbers.  If your labour numbers are too high then the only solution is to do a higher volume, simple as that.  If your labour numbers are in line to make a profit, then you ask how much the owner wants to comfortably earn, presumably the owner is...
I currently run a tiny kitchen at an upscale vegetarian restaurant.  We seat 18+6 at the bar, seatings from 5:30 to 10:00.  We have a staff of 2 on (including myself) working on average 11-12 hours from prep to close, and a night dishwasher.  We have a small but ambitious menu, 4 induction burners as our only cooking area and a two-shelf convection oven that can fit half trays.  If we cram all the seats the entire service ands turn them fairly quickly we can do about 60...
I think a deep sense of insecurity is essential to becoming a great chef.  Unfortunately that can either manifest in a healthy of unhealthy way.  It usually takes me about 2 weeks to start hating a dish I created and as a result I have a deep urge to change it as soon as possible.
With a lot of media attention recently brought against the restaurant industry and the staffing of women there does seem to be a disparity between women employed as cooks vs. chefs and the ratio of women pastry chefs to savoury chefs.  Women make up 47% of all cooks in Quebec, but on the other hand only 23% of head chefs are women.  This figure is fairly consistent throughout Canada and most of North America.  On top of that, there is the North American perception that...