or Connect

Posts by 100folds

Well Jolly, I too have decided to go to school after many years in the industry. It's not so much about the certification as it is about the knowledge that I haven't been able to obtain through experience. I think that it is important to understand what it is you are getting into when you decide to belong to this industry. I feel it should be a criteria to have at least one years experience in the industry before a school will even accept you. A lot of the apprentices...
I've thought about this a lot. What a chef feels is reasonable to price his food at. When you pay high prices at a restaurant, you are not just paying for the food or labour cost you are also paying for the experience that chef has obtained over the years. What he or she feels it is worth. Do we have a right to judge whether or not it is adequate, I don't think so. I agree that we don't make enough to pay 240.00 for an entre, even if the entire table is sharing it but...
Thanks guys, I've ordered the food art and hopefully it is what I am looking for. Incidently, I have found a book on the history of food and I think it is a must read! It's called Food, A culinary history. Check it out. Just doing a tit for tat. Thank you again.
Although I believe precisely in what you are saying, I do not think you understand what we are sacrificing. First off, michelin stars have no actual criteria and the ones laid out are mostly based on decor and service. Not food. Second, I don't believe there is anything wrong with wanting to be able to eat at the end of the month with a little money left over. Passion is important and creating an environment for that passion to thrive in is just as important, but why...
Does anyone know of any professional magazines for Chefs. Not the hobby cook who doesn't know the difference between a hollandaise and a sabayon. One that focus on our industry and the new ideas coming into it. Let me know, thanks
Now I have used the method of soaking duck in a brine solution to help make the skin crisper and the meat juicier but does the same work for Turkey. If so, does anyone know for how long I should do this. I've cooked Turkey maybe 5 times in my life and it's always been in restaurants so its been cuts of turkeys and never the whole turkey. Does anyone have any secreats they would like to contribute. Thanks for your help.
hello shroomgirl, I owned a small catering company in Edmonton and my deliveries were not large enough for me to purchase or hire someone to do all my deliveries. At the same time, I didn't have enough time to do them myself. So I hooked up with 3 other catering companies that were in the same situation as me and we split the price of hiring a van, and a guy to do this for us. Between all of us we had enough buisness to justify it, alone, we would have been going over...
Mr. McGee, I'd just like to start by saying that your book is the best piece of literature to ever happen to the culinary arts. My question is with regards to wine. How is it possible for a wine maker to produce flavors from a grape -- raspberries, allspice -- without actually introducing that product? Is there perhaps a formula or is it just plain luck? If there is in fact a science, would one be able to apply it to the culinary arts. Say a pear sauce that contains...
Thanks wuzzo really appreciate all the information
I use to make family meals is a busy fine dining french restaurant. I use to make pizza dough a head of time and throw it in the freezer for those days that I was lazy. But for the most part I would make things like shepard's pie, ratatouille, red and green curries -- my own paste, burritos, any kind of sandwhich I could think up of but mostly salmon salad because I was always given fish that was on the verge and had to cook the **** out of it. Fried rice, pasta, salad....