or Connect

Posts by LogghiB

Prep: People who prepare food that will later be used for cooking food that actually goes out to the table. Pantry: People who put together food and plates (typically salds, cold apps and desserts) that go out to the table. So if you had, say, shrimp cocktails coming out of your pantry station. The prep person might be cleaning the shrimp, poaching them, and making the cocktail sauce. But the pantry person is actually on the line (or station, depending on the...
I have a lockbox in dry storage full of bail money and an old smelly t-shirt in case dogs need to track my scent to unearth my body. I've never really considered ever planning for a stage demo.
I have a pair of shoes for crews clogs - they're not particularly comfortable but a nice $20 set of gel inserts corrects that. They've lasted four years, including a decent amount of time standing on top of pizza ovens to change lightbulbs and pull down hoods. Not great, but reliable.
Maybe Chicago is different from other parts of the world, but I get down right skeptical about people with culinary degrees. I always expect them to not show up or lop off a finger. Besides, it's not like the Mexicans don't get seriously paid. They may not be able to hold a conversation with the GM, but they definitely know how to ask for a raise. The lowest paid people I've seen are kids with maybe a few months of pub food experience and a diploma, driving to work...
You have three options: 1. Find a good financial advisor and talk about it. Don't expect a good answer. 2. Work until you die. 3. Get your own restaurant, invest in some primo insurance policies and burn it down before running off to retire on a farm in Mexico with one of your dishwasher accomplices.
The owner knows exactly what's going on. I set up a system in which the kitchen runs smoothly. I make sure that system is kept in a functional state. ****, if I work ten hours a week and the kitchen is still running smoothly and making money, everyone is happy. I am, unfortunately, unable to pull off such a task. But I find that working a rough forty (almost never more than fifty) hour week is more than enough to keep operations running at levels we want to see...
Oh, and - butter is vegetarian. It isn't vegan.
My point is that french onion soup shouldn't be treated like four star cuisine because it is not. And yeah, coq au vin should be scarfed cold from the refridgerator at 4am, drunk. I clearly (refer to first post, right above the second post) am not above discussing technique for a good french onion soup, but just because you might be able to use a fusion reactor and a time machine to create THE PERFECTLY CARAMELIZED ONION doesn't mean you should lose sleep over a french...
Eight hour days are awesome. Roll in at eleven, make sure people are working, yell at the food guys, go over charts, cook some lunches, cook my own lunch, eat lunch, have a beer, write specials, muse over future menu ideas, get the lunch crew flipped for the night crew, make sure they get their stations together, knock out dinner rush, leave after the first turnover in capable sous chef hands. 11 - 7 for life, dogs. You "owners" are a bunch of suckers.
I would suggest something but I feel that Andrew563's suggestion, "86 Restaurant" is pretty much as perfect as you will ever get. Seriously.