or Connect

Posts by LogghiB

Another note: In my opinion french onion soup is a simple comfort food that shouldn't be fretted over too much. I like Thomas Keller and all, but come on. It's like pontificating over the aromatic qualities of a bowl of cereal. Just eat it in your underwear while watching daytime television like the rest of us jerks.
If you're going to make a vegetarian version, I would try using a mushroom stock very lightly thickened with a roux, since the absence of the meat proteins will sacrifice a little body to the soup itself. Anyway. I use spanish and vidalia onions, julienned not too thinly. I then prep my rondeaux by rendering some bacon fat and scraps from pork tenderloin with bay, thyme, and a very short sprig of rosemary. After a cook deal of the fat has been cooked out (I've also...
Radio La Que Buena - 105.1 WOJO-FM The same dozen Mexican pop songs played over and over and over.
A very reliable cook (the type that had shown up 15 minutes early for every shift for two or three years) called in like 10 minutes before the start to his 2PM shift, sounding out of breath. He said, "Hey, it's me, I'm running a little behind today do you mind if I'l like fifteen, twenty minutes late?" It wasn't a big deal so I agreed. He came in ten minutes after 2. One of the prep guys who were still working on the list for the day asked why he was late. (They were...
I think I've seen some corporate places that actually put temp descriptions in their menus. As long as they just want their stuff cooked up, I don't mind. Recooking bothers me more.
Some places I've worked at had a policy where you had you buy your food (at a discount) and somehow find time to eat it. Typically we would just graze on prepped stuff or make little sandwiches. Others just had a deal where you could make yourself some food if you wanted. It was expected you would not cook off a $30 filet every night. I don't think I've ever worked at a place big enough to do a formal staff meal... although if I had more time I would like to throw...
Essentially the hollandaise will break when either the clarified butter you've emulsified with the egg yolks separates, or due to excessive heat the yolks scramble and turn into solid, lumpy parts. If you're afraid your yolks with curdle, lift the pan up off the heat and keep whisking. Or add your butter more slowly. You can also reduce the heat on your double-boiler (if you are using one). If the yolks and butter are just not retaining their emulsified state, whisk...
I can't say that this is false, but it does not fit with my professional experience. Cooks I've worked with who use a more traditional grip are, in my limited field of experience, less prone to injury.
If someone has no kitchen experience and they want a BOH position, I am only willing to let them wash dishes and work up. No matter where they went to school. Didn't your school offer some kind of internship placement program? Otherwise... yeah. You might get lucky by applying around, but you may just have to start small. Besides, I don't trust a cook who has never been a dishwasher before. Particularly since as a chef if your dishwasher decides to flake out on you...
yeah, I'd like to add - The only good way out of a situation where the chef is being totally unreasonable to a level you are unwilling to tolerate is to quit. If you try to go down swinging, the damage to your reputation as an employee will do more harm than the resume filler will do good. If you give a respectful two-weeks notice and let anyone in management know why you are leaving, you will likely be able to get a good reference off of somebody working there....