or Connect

Posts by Live_to_cook

3. "Are you done with that?" (Or would you like to continue clogging up one of the tables I'm trying so desperately to turn, like the cretinous insect you so clearly are?) 4. "Hi, my name is LikeICouldPossiblyCare, and I'm going to be your server tonight." (Just in case you wondered why I'm standing here handing you menus.)
Sorry to be obtuse, but why strain the rinse water through a towel? Is it so you could use it in the recipe? If so, would a coffee filter work just as well? (I suffer from a surplus of filters and a scarcity of towels.)
If you heat the oil past 300F, wouldn't that kill whatever bugs there are? Edited to add: I mean, reheat it before using if it's been sitting around for a while.
I've tried soaking and straining, but my rehydrated porcinis still retain grit. Besides buying better (cleaner) dried porcinis, is there anything I can do?
Thanks for taking the time here at ChefTalk. Vegetable oil can sit in my cupboard practically forever. But when I make scallion oil (slice bunch of scallions, drop in hot hot vegetable oil, drain) the recipe says it must be refrigerated and can only hold a few days. What gives?
Seriously. It's the best "family" restaurant I've ever been in. Especially for lunch and dinner. Not just for New England specialties like red flannel hash and salt pork with milk gravy, and maple cream pie. For the full package; warm yeasty rolls with every dinner, flaky house-made pies, native sides like fiddleheads. The locals swarm the place, and it's a real value. It's on Rt. 302 (Referred to as the "Barre road," because ... you can guess) south of the city. You...
I don't take any delight in his fall. I didn't watch his show or eat at his restaurants. I guess the moral, to me, would be that chasing TV fame has its price.
Marian Burros, the Times' stand-in reviewer, just kicked the giblets out of Union Pacific. Took him down a star, and probably would have gone more except I think you can only go a star at a time. SOMEWHERE around 9:40 p.m., our waiter at Union Pacific presented us with a large piece of steak covered in the ashes of burnt hay. It was nestled in a bed of hay in a copper casserole. We were all excited. It signaled the arrival of our main courses, one hour and 40 minutes...
A birthday, good company, good beef ... and good ink! Congratulations, and may the new year be kind to you and yours.
My Weber charcoal-fired grill has seen heavy use for nearly a decade. I use it outside, of course. Smoked turkey, grilled quesadillas, steaks, quick-smoked salmon fillet, chops, grilled red peppers, grilled pineapple, shrimp skewers, Korean marinated baby octopus, beer-butt chicken, grilled scallions, smoked eggplant for baigan bartha or baba ganoush ... yep, the Weber is one versatile cat. I find gas grills (when I use them at other people's homes) have a hard time...