Posts by MillionsKnives

So... I know you were asking about gyutos but... I can't help it. I'm not saying go and buy these, but overall I think any of these would make your life better than incremental improvements in another gyuto. There's no perfect knife for everything for everyone. This is just my advice based on personal experience. Whether it makes sense for you or not, you can't know without trying and that costs $. All your meat -...
I have the konosuke white steel 210.  It is way too light for me.   Edge retention is below my other knives, but that white steel is so easy to sharpen.  I got mine for $120, white steel, ho wood handle.  That was worth it for me.  More money, probably not.  I use my itinomonn 210mm a lot more than this one http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-stainless-kasumi-210mm-wa-gyuto/ but it's out of stock.     The takeda I used had really sharp shoulders  (see what i...
the prices listed are for the CHEFS knife.  The other shorter knives are going to be cheaper.  Overall you can get a very good working set for $100.
There's nothing wrong with having stainless in your kit.  It's good to have options. It's also good to know exactly what you're looking for!  Lightweight, carbon steel, check!   I guess you have been to Tosho knife arts already?  Try one of konosukes.  THAT is what we mean when we say 'laser' knife.  Not the konosuke fujiyama (actually is a thicker wide bevel grind), i mean something like this...
So here's my opinion- miyabi kaizen is full tang, the handle has a bolster, and a metal end cap.   All that metal is heavy.  You will find that miyabi is very handle heavy compared to wa handle japanese knives.  They call this a feature because it is 'balanced'.  You might see some guy on youtube balance the knife on his finger to test as if this is a measure of quality. It means diddly squat to people who are using a pinch grip and especially who are mostly push cutting...
Absolutely not.   Buy an 'off the shelf' knife from a good maker.   When you have preferences that cannot be filled by what is already made that is when you buy custom.  You need to know EXACTLY what you want and discuss this with the knifemaker or don't bother.  I will say that not all custom knives perform better, a lot of it is about customizing your knife looks and handle etc.  I can get a knife from Japan for $150 that cuts better than $800 customs. here are some very...
I 100% agree on learning to sharpen 1) once you know how to sharpen you can buy ANY knife 2) you dont' have to pay shipping to shun, even though the service is free 3) you don't have to wait to get your knife back   It's not as difficult as you think.  I can teach people to get a sharp edge in under an hour.  It's the rest of the stuff, thinning, polishing, etc that takes a lot of time.   This is a very good set of stones:...
@Tarak  here you go   http://stores.ebay.com/anniesarc   It can mount magnetically to your fridge or you can screw it to the wall with anchors.  I have 2 on my fridge for over 3 years no problems holding up thousands of dollars in knives.  It's wood so better for your edges.  If you don't know...  place your knife on by the spine then rotate it.  Don't slap your knives down on a mag bar.
You can chip any knife if you don't know what you're doing.  Don't let that stop you from buying nice things.   Having said that, you don't need to spend $300 for a good chefs knife. Nothing wrong with budget performers. Common price/performance winners we recommend a lot   $30 -wusthof pro $45 range - victorinox   NOT a great deal anymore, spend a few $ for the tojiro  or drop down to wusthof pro $55-60 - tojiro dp  -  performancewise this is as good as shun or...
What's up with your wusthofs?  Handle dinged up?  Chips in the edge or what?  Other than being sharpened down to nothing, most issues can be fixed with some elbow grease.   If you're making the jump to japanese knives, there is a small learning curve because it is a harder thinner steel and most of the profiles are flatter.  Get used to more push cutting and less rock chopping.  Maintenance and sharpening is another thing that will be different.     VG-10 damascus...