Posts by MillionsKnives

It is STEEP like $32.  This is only a good deal if you combine it with something to make the cut off amount Actually two of these is exactly the free shipping minimum amount!
Anything I would use this for I would reach for a chinese cleaver or a petty first.  That said...  something about a tall santoku (53mm!) with distal taper and good geometry..  It's hard to say no at the sale price $71.  If it was stainless it would make a good gift knife.   http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kurouchi-180mm-wa-santoku/
IMO the western deba is great to do split chicken breast as in the video I posted.  If you are going to take the breast off boneless, you want something pointy and narrower.
 Back to your original question..  honesuki compared to a western boning knife is shorter, stiffer (less flex), with a pointier tip that is very useful sometimes like when you're parting chicken and going around the oyster of the thigh.  Not as good for beef or pork.  All round I recommend the wa butcher I linked.   On the cheap side also consider this style of butcher knife Old hickory makes them today but I don't like the out of box bevel at all.   Luckily carbon steel...
What do you mean by beef, pork, poultry etc..  subprimals?  Bigger?  Just trimming stuff or what   I do a LOT of meat over bbq season.  My complete butchery set from whole animal down:   breaking knife or a cimeter depending how big you need bonesaw (better yet a meat bandsaw) heavy cleaver boning knife    For the boning knife part...  a honesuki is shorter than the western boning knife.  There are some tasks you may find it lacking.  Even on a chicken you can't...
Not really what ajikiri is for at all, single bevel edge doesnt hold up to board work
The curved part near the handle is NOT meant to be sharpened.  You use it to scrape bones like when frenching a rack of ribs.
If you hold the knife in one hand and apply pressure with the fingers of your other hand, flex is not an issue
It's like any other knife.   The only thing you have to be aware of is following the curve near the tip.  
 Did you pinch grip it?  I use a 'peace sign' grip .  Thumb on left side, two fingers on the right side going pretty far down.  If you let the weight of the cleaver do the work and have a sharp one with good geometry, it will fly through food.    Anyway you might find the link in this post enlightening http://www.cheftalk.com/t/85968/cleaver-believer/30#post_512140