or Connect

Posts by ricib

The thing about backgrounds checks is scary to think about, On the one hand, you NEED to protect your business, on the other hand, what does a background REALLY say about how well a person can cook? Just because someone had problems in the past, it may be "on his or her record", but what if you are passing up someone "great'? it's like a catch 22. I believe you have to tell people you will be reunning a background check on them. not sure if that's the law or not. But that...
As is often said, if the only opening in a restaurant you may want to work at, is the dishwashing job, then take it. Wanting to be a chef and being one are very different of course. As a dishwasher you'll see everything you want and don't want to see, of the behind the scenes of running a restaurant.
I agree, that having a chef is probably the most important part, before anything else can be done. Inventory sheets will come with the items on the menu. You don't want a list of items that you wont' be using. A lot of places just enter the items they use, into an Excel sheet or something like that. THere's lots more of course to opening a restaurant, but let me ask this, has your friend ever owned a restaurant or run one? even been in the business before?
I think that in some cases, the longer a server is there at a particular place, the more comfortable they feel in slacking or jerking customers around. Doesn't say much for the whole establishment really, but in the Restaurant biz the turnover, as many of us know, is VERY high. Unfortunately it's not always as high as it should be with the wait staff. I'm a firm believer in the penny tip if the service is terrible, and I usually won't go back, no matter what....
Often times, the most educated, are the least educated. I don't feel that Wash U is geniunely concerned with "coming up to speed", and I certainly don't think that Monsanto has any interest in anything that isn't pumped full of their chemicals/whatever else they make. Give me a cow that was raised without a bunch of hormones in it, anyday. Of course I'll have to pay dearly for it. Don't these people realize they are in the "heartland"? There's TONS of fresh seasonal...
I worked in a family run restaurant, and the kids of the family 4th Generation to "run it", murdered the business, when they were in charge, while Mom and Dad were out of town. They felt, that because the family name is on it, they had free reign to treat people bad to get what they wanted. They also felt they could just raid the freezer and pantries to do their home shopping. Not to mention having their friends come in at any time (especially at the close of night to...
I agree with the sanitation/food handling course. I've got a restaurant background, and can't stress this enough. (about sanitation) Then again, just because I've worked in restaurants, doens't mean I've learned everything I need to know. I'm a stickler about washing constantly, about washing thoroughl;y after handling chicken, etc. to the point that I was told I was wasting man hours. WTF? MY health is as important as the people eating the food I prepare. Don't...
The frozen foods section at the grocery store is your friend, if they have it there, you can do it at home too. It's almost unlimited, or should I say, it's only limited by the amount of freezer space you have. A "food saver" machine can be your friend.
You can find the answer on what to charge pretty much anywhere you look in a search engine for personal chefs. The prices vary, but not by much. It really is dependent on where you like in the country, or if there are other services like this around you. I know (roughly) what I'm going to be charging as I go into the PC biz, but I wont post it, for the reason Suzanne said. I like this site too much, to have to worry about a simple price amount. Do you ever watch the...
I don't hear of problems with the pro models, like I do with the artisan models. I've got a pro model, but as far as I know there's no reset button on it. Then again, I've only had mine heat up one time, and that was when I was using the meat grinding attachment hook up. My Pro model get's tons of use at times and rarely goes a week or so, without use.