or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

@panini, isn't there a joke about Babe Ruth or somebody and asparagus pee?    Not that this month's challenge hasn't been great (because it's been lip-smackin' good), but I wonder what's in store for November?    I never got a chance to make fesenjan this month, but I could next month. Both pomegranates and turkey will be plentiful in November, so there's time.
Empanadas or other filled pies come to mind.   Some type of cake? A porky or beefy version of crab cakes?  I know some cuisines make fried croquettes out of cooked meat. I think I ate such an item in the Netherlands many, many years ago- but not made of pork I don't think. I seem to remember the texture being very finely ground, almost like a paste.   Sometimes when I've got leftover pork roast I shave it thinly with my chef's knife when the meat is very cold cold and...
Welcome kafura! I think you will find this site and its community to be very supportive and informative as you explore this change in your life direction.   The forums are a great source of information, and I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time reading there. Please be aware that for home cooks like you and me the professional forums are "read only". We can search and learn there all we like but must do posting of any questions in the general forums. Our questions are...
Hello Matthew, and welcome.   I'll move your question to a general cooking forum, as it will get the attention you need for it there. We hope you'll return to the New Users Introductions forum soon and tell us a bit about yourself as a food-lover and cook.    One note: while your questions relate to a commercial restaurant enterprise, you are a home cook (as I am) and must therefore consider the professional forums as "read only". However, those forums are a rich...
Welcome, @OhDoralRules. I see you've dived right in. I hope you already have begun to feel comfortable here.    Please be sure to have a look at the whole site, including the cooking articles, reviews of cookbooks and equipment, photo galleries, etc. I hope you'll want to take part in the Challenges that change each month in the Food and Cooking forum; this month it's stews. There's a different ingredient or method each time. Have a look at it and you'll see how...
Welcome, Sue Ann! You'll find lots of support and plenty of information here at Chef Talk. Some of our members are culinary instructors, too. They won't want to do your homework for you (which I'm sure you would never ask! ) but the instructors, chefs, and other culinary students are a valuable resource in helping you navigate through your experience in culinary school. You'll want to look at the Culinary Schools/Students forum here. Browse, and use the search tool as...
Hello imad,   You've posted a question, rather than an introduction, in the New Users Introduction forum. Because you're a home cook I'm moving it to the general baking forum where your question will be addressed.    I invite you to return to the New Users Introductions forum to tell us a bit about yourself. Good luck in your venture.   Regards, Mezzaluna
Hello Madchefeast! Welcome to Chef Talk. We're very glad to have you with us. It looks like you'll find lots of people with affinities for several of your interests (gardening, fishing, foraging). Try using the search tool to find some threads that will help you pinpoint discussions and members to connect with.   We're always glad to have members who are happy to share and learn. It's the essence of the community here. The mix of professionals and home cooks is...
Chef Wade, we're happy to meet you. Thank you for a great introduction. Your story sounds similar to my brother's (dishwasher to chef to owner-operator, now semi-retired because his son is working to buy him out!).   I think you'll be glad you've moved from being a "lurker" to taking an active part in the community. Because you've been hanging out here you know the value of Chef Talk: the chance to meet and connect with chefs and home cooks from just about everywhere....
Hi Jaynna! Yes, it's the right place. (Sorry I didn't respond sooner; life intervened.)   How far along are you in your training? What is your goal?    Have a browse around the board and you'll see we have a forum just for culinary students. If you use the search tool you'll be able to look for threads on topics that are commonly asked types of questions for students. You'll be glad to know you can read to your heart's content in the professional chefs' forums, but...