or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

No big deal Amy. We won't rescind your membership.  The pros had been deluged with questions akin to "How do I boil an egg?" which were better-left to us home cooks, so we changed our policies a while back to let them deal with issues like "What's the best serve poached eggs during a six hour brunch service for 1,240 people?" You can see we cook in different culinary worlds!    I have pickled cucumbers and green tomatoes according to my grandmother's cold salt brine...
Hi Chris, and thanks for the intro. I'm a home cook too and usually do things from scratch as well mostly because I can't stand the amount of salt in processed food. Also, I was taught to cook from scratch so it's most natural to me. As a young person, were you mostly self-taught, or were there inspirations you had that gave you the basics and desire to advance?   Chef Talk has a lot going for it, and I hope you explore it all: discussion forums, cooking articles, photo...
Hello Joe, and thanks for introducing yourself. We're glad you found us and hope you'll contribute your own knowledge and expertise to the mix of ideas here. The mix of people here includes experienced and newbie home cooks as well as professionals because we know knowledge about food can come from unexpected sources. Perhaps you were inspired to cook by your mother or grandmother, or by someone else who showed you for the first time that cooking was your passion. We hope...
Hello Melissa- thank you for your introduction. I see you have visited the culinary students forum already, and that will be a big help as you prepare for the adventure which awaits you.    You can also benefit from reading in the professional chefs' forums. However, until you are a pro yourself, you must consider them as "read only" and post in the students forum and general forum. Since the professionals visit all the forums, you'll hear from them there. Besides the...
This one looks good, @Koukouvagia  
Hey K-Girl! Good to "see" you. This nice Jewish girl will try and answer at least part of your question.   From the sound of it you're going to cook a boneless pork loin. If you're bound and determined to stuff it, I guess you really have to. But if you want to give roasting one more try, there's still a chance. If you buy one on the bone and buy the end of the loin that has more of the dark meat (sorry, I don't know the butcher's term for that portion), ask the butcher...
Hello Chef ASR, Good luck in your quest. As you are already in the profession, you are able to post in the professional forums here at Chef Talk and take advantage of the advice of your peers. I know we have a contingent of Canadians here who may be able to give you some good information. The community is international (although strongly North American, to be sure) so associating yourself here was a good move.   Best wishes for success in your...
Hi Amy! I see you're into fermentation as it relates to food. You'll find kindred spirits here, I'm sure. Use the search tool and you'll find threads devoted to kimchi, sauerkraut, various brews, etc., to say nothing of breads of all types! I foresee you having a long and pleasant relationship with this community.    As you peruse the discussion forums you'll note some of the forums are for the professionals. It's fine for us home cooks to read there (and it's great fun,...
Hello Martta! You're going to enjoy this community. I'm a home cook too and have found everyone, professionals and home cooks alike, to be very accommodating and helpful. There are few places (if any?) on the internet where home cooks can interact so freely with professional chefs as we can at Chef Talk.   You'll notice the discussion forums include some which are for professional chefs. We home cooks can read there (it's great fun to get an inside look behind the...
Hello Petit Fours and welcome!   I'm a home cook too and want you to know you'll learn a lot by participating and reading here. Both the professionals and the other home cooks are very good about answering cooking questions and helping you find answers, too.    As you look at the discussion forums you'll notice some of them are professional discussion forums. Everyone can read in those forums, but only the people who work in the food and restaurant industry should post...