or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Thanks for the introduction, Kirkland. We're glad to have someone with your broad experience with us. I think Chef Talk will be someplace you'll find helpful and that you'll be a good resource to others here, too. Besides that, we're a fun bunch of people from just about everywhere!   The discussion forums are great for meeting people and getting some great ideas, but don't miss the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries, and all the other...
I have a rather inexpensive one I've had for at least five years. I don't even know the brand. But it's very handy to be able to grab and to have ground pepper with one hand quickly. It's easy to adjust the grind for coarseness and the texture of the grind is pretty uniform. It uses four AA batteries and runs a long time on those. The plastic is easy to wipe clean, too. I have two manually operated ones (had one and got a gift) which I like too, but I use the...
Hello Andopolos! Welcome to the community. How did you stumble upon us? We're always curious to know.   An experienced professional like yourself will find plenty here to learn and enjoy: discussion forums, cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and more. The search tool will be essential for helping you wade through it all, as we have more than 14 years worth of information on the site. I think your other half will want to come here as well;...
Hi Bluejeans cook-- thanks for the introduction. I think you'll get a kick out of the monthly food challenges we have here. This month it's rice; last month it was eggs. We take one ingredient and see how many interesting ways we can use it. The challenges are in the Food and Cooking forum. That's the closest thing we have to a competition here, and it's a lot of fun.   How did you get into cooking? Was there someone who inspired you? Did you discover food on your own...
Welcome to Chef Talk. We're happy you found us and hope you enjoy being part of this great community of chefs and food lovers. The mix here is different from any other place online, and it makes for unique and stimulating conversation. It's cool to be able to ask people from all over the world about their cuisines, ingredients and methods of cooking and to share yours with them. Our members cross generations, hail from all continents and have interests in about every kind...
Hm....   If it's hard cheese such as Parmesan or Grana, I'd pass the Microplane against the cheese. If it's soft cheese such as mozzarella or cheddar, I'd pass the cheese against the grater.   I have a Microplane box grater given to me as a gift some years ago. One panel of it, which has fairly small rasps, slides off the frame so it can be used as I do on hard cheeses. Very handy. Best of all, it can be cleaned in the dishwasher. 
My French is pretty rusty, but isn't "cremeux" an adjective form, i.e., "creamy" rather than a noun "a cream"?
Yes, it was. It was an older restaurant that's famous for its mofongo, as I recall. I wish I could remember the name of the place because I would return there the next time I'm in San Juan. The last time we were in town we went to a flamenco guitar show at the El San Juan Hotel. The lobby bar was beautiful I must say.
My grandmother was known for her cooking, both quality and quantity. It was old-fashioned Eastern European Jewish cooking mostly, but she picked up some recipes from the ladies in the little Iowa farm town where she lived as a young bride and mother. My mom learned from her mom but had more sophisticated tastes. She read the New York Times Sunday paper (it arrived in our Illinois home promptly each Tuesday) and eagerly looked for Craig Claiborne's latest recipe in the...
Thanks for the introduction, Stketcher! We're glad you've decided to dive in and take part.    My husband and I have been through San Juan a few times on our way to cruise ships and have spent a little time seeing the sights and sampling the food a bit. I had mofongo for the first time a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Whenever we're there I love to spend time in the grocery store browsing in the aisles to see what you have that we don't have, how the items might be...