or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

I've heard of putting crushed ice or dissolved gelatin in the meat to moisten it. Any experience with that?    My grandmother's burgers were a version of what she ate in her Russian childhood called cutlets. Basically, chopped beef with moistened bread, chopped onion, salt, pepper, egg. Because we are Jewish, there was no mild to make what would be a panade, but the soaked bread did the trick. My mom soaked it briefly in broth if I remember correctly. The burgers where...
I slice a slender purple eggplant into 1 cm thick slices, skin on. I make a vinaigrette with olive oil and whatever vinegar I feel like (balsamic or red wine vinegar usually). The other day I used a mixture of sherry vinegar and a dash or two of red wine vinegar. Then I add crushed garlic, dried herbes de provence, sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper. I brush the vinaigrette on the eggplant and let it rest an hour or so, then grill on oiled grates just until soft....
I've been MIA due to my "job" as president of my synagogue, but I needed a little R&R so......   Fennel, Apple and Orange Slaw (that's salad, right??)   Juice of one lime or 1/2 lemon Splash of rice wine vinegar Olive oil Salt and pepper Shave one fennel bulb on a mandoline Add one tart-sweet apple (granny smith, etc.) diced Toss in some chopped parsley Add supremes of one sweet orange, juice reserved     Make a vinaigrette of the first four ingredients, plus...
@teamfat that's a beaut! What woods are used? Looks like maybe maple and walnut. That'll last forever.
Can you see me blushing??  
I was visiting my brothers recently and after a tour of Ford's Theater we jumped in a cab and went to the original U Street NW location of Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington, D.C. We're always looking for neighborhood places to eat in, to find good, local food to try. Of course we'd heard about President Obama dropping in there occasionally for a chili dog or bowl of chili, but the Ethiopian cab driver told us you won't often hear these days about it being Bill Cosby's...
Thanks for introducing yourself Teresa! I hope you find others here who can help you save time by streamlining and finding shortcuts that'll make your business even more efficient and profitable, and give you more time to spend here at Chef Talk.    When you do stop in, take a look at the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and other great features. We have more than the discussion forums, wonderful as they are. You never know what jewels...
imbny, welcome to Chef Talk. I'm moving your query to the general pastry and baking forum which is a better location for this type of discussion. We welcome you to return to the New User Introduction forum to give a brief introduction of yourself.    We hope you enjoy participating in the community.  Mezzaluna
@flipflopgirl "self" says to try working with the traditional butter and cream cheese dough and see how I like it. If I'm not happy, I'll try monkeying with the other one.
Hello Angela!    Have a look around the site and be sure to look at everything, because we're more than only discussion forums. By the way, until you're working in the industry, please think of the professional forums as "read only". Those of us who aren't pros (yet or ever, like me!) can read there all we like, but we do our posting in the general forums. Of course, you also have the student forum to hang out in.    What direction are you hoping to go in the culinary...