or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

I make "thank you" boxes for my doctors in recognition for keeping me in good health (no small feat). This year I wanted to add something to the mix of cookies, so I mixed up some truffles. It was a lot of fun!     These were made of bittersweet Ghirardelli 60% chocolate, but I'll make some with milk chocolate and a few with white as well. My poor husband will have to be recruited to taste-test them, but I think he'll bear up.
@dgl1505 there was a post in the thread you mentioned today, I'm happy to report. Your thread began in 2008; you might try starting a new thread and re-titling it- refreshing the topic, so to speak. Sometimes people see they've already viewed a thread and think it's something they don't want to revisit. Things have changed considerably in the world of commercial style ranges for the home, as I know from experience.   Just a thought. Also, have you taken a look in the...
Welcome Chris! I'm glad you've connected with Cheflayne. Hanging out at ChefTalk is a great way to broaden your base of information and widen your culinary horizons in many ways.   We usually ask that culinary students (anyone not yet working professionally in industry) hold off on posting in the professional forums. Everyone is encouraged to read and learn from those forums, but if the pros answered all our questions there they wouldn't have time to address the everyday...
@Sonshine we're glad you decided to dive in and join the fray! We have a great many female cooks and chefs here, and have had some lively discussions over the years, too. I can imagine several of our members being as perturbed as you with the comments about makeup, when competence and skill should have been front and center.   As a former lurker I guess I needn't tell you about the articles, etc. and give you a tour! But I do want to be sure to point to the Cooking...
Welcome, @meganwhisks ! It sounds as if you are off to a good start in your culinary career. Chef Talk is a good place to explore ideas because our members are from all over the world, all ages. And, you can also learn from the home cooks.     The forums are a wonderful place to start reading, and the search tool can help you focus your reading. Please keep in mind the professional forums are for those who are currently working in professional positions, but everyone is...
Welcome Robert! We're glad you found us and hope you enjoy being part of the community.    Have a look around and don't miss the culinary articles. You might have some fun with the Cooking Challenges which are posted in the Food and Cooking general forum. They change each month (this month it's flour) and are a great way to explore ingredients and methods with chefs and home cooks from everywhere. The earlier challenges are archived so you can get some great ideas from...
Welcome Akimhof! You've come to the right place to get to know others who are passionate about food and cooking. As for eggs, use the search tool and the threads about cooking them will pop up aplenty! In fact, one of our monthly Cooking Challenges- the one for August 2014- concerned eggs and the many ways to use them. The Cooking Challenges are in the Food and Cooking general forum; have a look there.   The forums are roughly divided into professional and general...
I'm moving this very old thread to a professional chefs' forums where it may get the attention it merits. If not, try starting a new thread in one of the cooking forums. If you'd like to introduce yourself, we invite you to return to the New Users Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself.   Good luck! Mezzaluna
Homecook2014 I may take you up on the offer when I head over to visit my family sometime.    I was last in England in September 2013 after a rather long absence and was very, very pleasantly surprised at the developments in restaurant food and also in the array and quality of foods available in food shops such as Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc. My earliest trips were in the late 1960s (yes, I'm old) when bland or salty and greasy was the order of the day (think traditional pork...
@chefedb, I reheat my meat loaves and other juicy food I've sealed in FoodSaver bags without losing any moisture. I bring a pot of water to a low boil, ease the bag into it (while the contents are still frozen solid), then let the food simmer until completely re-warmed. The juices remain in the food and aren't lost at all. The meat loaf is still as juicy and flavorful as when I brought it to the table the first time. It's kinda tricky to seal juicy foods like that though;...