or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Hello Chef ASR, Good luck in your quest. As you are already in the profession, you are able to post in the professional forums here at Chef Talk and take advantage of the advice of your peers. I know we have a contingent of Canadians here who may be able to give you some good information. The community is international (although strongly North American, to be sure) so associating yourself here was a good move.   Best wishes for success in your...
Hi Amy! I see you're into fermentation as it relates to food. You'll find kindred spirits here, I'm sure. Use the search tool and you'll find threads devoted to kimchi, sauerkraut, various brews, etc., to say nothing of breads of all types! I foresee you having a long and pleasant relationship with this community.    As you peruse the discussion forums you'll note some of the forums are for the professionals. It's fine for us home cooks to read there (and it's great fun,...
Hello Martta! You're going to enjoy this community. I'm a home cook too and have found everyone, professionals and home cooks alike, to be very accommodating and helpful. There are few places (if any?) on the internet where home cooks can interact so freely with professional chefs as we can at Chef Talk.   You'll notice the discussion forums include some which are for professional chefs. We home cooks can read there (it's great fun to get an inside look behind the...
Hello Petit Fours and welcome!   I'm a home cook too and want you to know you'll learn a lot by participating and reading here. Both the professionals and the other home cooks are very good about answering cooking questions and helping you find answers, too.    As you look at the discussion forums you'll notice some of them are professional discussion forums. Everyone can read in those forums, but only the people who work in the food and restaurant industry should post...
Welcome mdcpool! I've never heard of someone growing stevia at home but we have a good many gardeners here; others may want to learn how you did it.   I'm a home cook myself and have found the CT community to be helpful and respectful of what I know and great about teaching me. I knew little about baking when I came here and now I bake quite a lot and do pretty well with it. Others have learned some things from me about my family's dishes, so it's all good. Along the way...
Hi Pickled Ginger- Your intro tickled my funny bone. I'm a die-hard hollandaise fan myself (butter is, to me, a food group) and also have a fondness for kitchen tools. I think I have seven small whisks, and I'm a home cook.   You don't say at what point you are in your studies, but I hope you spend some time in the Culinary Students forum reading the current posts but also doing some searches for earlier posts as well. A lot of typical concerns and questions posed by...
Welcome Baboon! Your journey to the professional kitchen is a familiar one to many here. I'm sure you'll feel at home and will be an asset to the Chef Talk community. I have a hunch you'll enjoy the Monthly Cooking Challenges featured in the Food and Cooking general forum. Have a look and see if I'm right.    I see you've dived in to the discussion forums- Great! Be sure to visit the rest of the site, too: cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo...
Hello J&L, and welcome. It looks as if you're already quite involved in the community. As I write this you already have 21 posts!   I hope you take some time to explore the entire site, including the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, etc. We are much more than "only" the discussion forums.    We hope you enjoy being part of the community and look forward to your contributions. I hope you're finding answers you need and are connecting with members you...
Hello Captains! Please don't think of yourself as "just" a home cook here. You may be surprised to learn that you know things others don't, and some of those others may be professional chefs. You may have learned things from your heritage or from your family that others may not know and that you take for granted, but that some may be delighted to learn. Trust me, after 15 years here I can say that honestly. My point is, don't be shy about participating.   The discussion...
Oh boy, here we go. Why does there have to be one way to pronounce this? Tomato, tomahto.... I grew up with "quemen" and also "baa'zil" for the herb from which pesto is made, not "bay'zil". That last is probably because we had Greek neighbors who gave us seeds from their home village and called it by its Greek name (vasiliko) with a soft a. Enjoy using it and don't worry about it.😊