or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Chefsmom, hello from another middle school teacher! I retired some years ago, but I loved teaching that age better than any other, and I taught all ages in my 30 years on the job. One minute they're snarling some rap lyrics, the next minute they're snuggling their stuffed animals. Gotta love it!
Welcome, dantech. I'm a home cook too, as are many of us. The community is a wonderful place to learn; but don't be shy to share what you know, too. Kosher cookery is a challenge for most of the people here, so you have skills and information that may not be generally known. There are other "members of the tribe" here (myself included) but occasionally someone will need help with meeting needs of a client. So there are times when such knowledge is a plus.   Although I'm...
Welcome, Peter! You and I have much in common. I love to cook and eat. I am a retired teacher; half of my 30 years was spent with students having special needs (ages 4-19), the rest as a reading intervention teacher for students ages 11-14. I, too, used food and cooking in my classroom over the years.    I hope you'll do a "walkabout" here and take time to see the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries, etc. as well as the many discussion...
Hi Renox and welcome. Knives are some of the most fascinating of kitchen tools, and judging by the interest they draw here at Chef Talk, I'd say they excite passion in the proponents of various styles and materials. I see you've already found the forum devoted to knife topics; all I can add is that you may want to search for earlier threads on topics that interest you concerning knives. Of course, the entire site can be searched in that way as well.   As you browse Chef...
Welcome, Marston! I'm sure you have some good stories to tell as you work your way along in the profession. My brother moved up as you did and eventually became an owner-operator after completing his chef training. After almost 30 years he's preparing for his chef-son to succeed him in the business he built. Lots of hard work have paid off for him.   I'm sure you've begun looking at the discussion forums, but don't miss the cooking articles, too. They're excellent...
Let me add my welcome too, Pandaman! As Petals said, we're glad you found us. I see you're interested in knives at the moment; I hope the members give you some useful guidance.   As you explore the site I hope you don't miss the excellent cooking articles as well as the many discussion forums. The cooking articles can give you some insights into various ingredients, methods and tools as well as issues faced by professional chefs. Some are written by home cooks, too. We...
In 2006 and 2007 I had two serious health incidents that prompted me to begin an annual habit of baking thank you boxes for three of my doctors each December. (The timing is coincidental to Christmas.) The largest box, frankly, goes to my primary care doc, whose uncanny diagnostic skills saved my live twice.    This year the box will include some of these truffles, although about five times as many as this smaller box that I gave to my husband for our hair stylist, of...
I make "thank you" boxes for my doctors in recognition for keeping me in good health (no small feat). This year I wanted to add something to the mix of cookies, so I mixed up some truffles. It was a lot of fun!     These were made of bittersweet Ghirardelli 60% chocolate, but I'll make some with milk chocolate and a few with white as well. My poor husband will have to be recruited to taste-test them, but I think he'll bear up.
@dgl1505 there was a post in the thread you mentioned today, I'm happy to report. Your thread began in 2008; you might try starting a new thread and re-titling it- refreshing the topic, so to speak. Sometimes people see they've already viewed a thread and think it's something they don't want to revisit. Things have changed considerably in the world of commercial style ranges for the home, as I know from experience.   Just a thought. Also, have you taken a look in the...
Welcome Chris! I'm glad you've connected with Cheflayne. Hanging out at ChefTalk is a great way to broaden your base of information and widen your culinary horizons in many ways.   We usually ask that culinary students (anyone not yet working professionally in industry) hold off on posting in the professional forums. Everyone is encouraged to read and learn from those forums, but if the pros answered all our questions there they wouldn't have time to address the everyday...