or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Love the name, RobotCoupDetat! Fits perfectly with your job, too. Congratulations on your move from home cook to the professional kitchen. Keep your eyes open and those fingers curved in, and you'll do fine.    Be sure to take a look at all the features here beyond the discussion forums: cooking articles, reviews, etc. There's a lot to amuse and edify, and plenty to keep you amused, too. We hope you stop in to enjoy and participate as often as you...
Hi Humble Chef--   Kitchens can be havens for creative people, as I know well. My brother is a professional chef and the culinary world was exactly the right niche for him too.    Chef Talk is a great place to hang out. The community is mixed, with pros and home cooks here, all ages (including some younger folks- please keep that in mind) and members from all over the world. If it's ideas or a new spin on food you're looking for, this is a great place to pick up some...
Thanks for your intro, Graham. We're glad you decided to join the community and hope you enjoy taking part in the give and take.    Besides the discussion forums, don't miss out on the excellent cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and other features that make this place the best of its kind (IMHO). The mix of pros and home cooks helps temper things and adds a perspective you won't find anywhere else. That creativity you love to stretch at...
@flipflopgirl, I can't use lard; it's for my synagogue.  @Fablesable, you may be right: I may have to give up this recipe and go with the traditional one. @Jim Berman also has an excellent recipe in an article he wrote here on Chef Talk. Having used this recipe for 10 years or so, I thought I'd try and salvage it, but there's really no sentimental reason to do so; my mom and grandmother never made rugelach. @phatch, I'll give your tweak a try though! It's worth giving it a...
I did once make it with a 1:1 swap, and the result was the dough was too soft and, in my opinion, too greasy.    I know the traditional recipes use butter and cream cheese, so I presume they have less water in them. I'll try cutting back on the amount of sour cream, dribble in vodka (like they use in the Cook's Illustrated pie crusts, right?) and see how that goes. For now, I have a batch of the usual stuff to use up.   Any other observations?
In this old thread started in 2007 http://www.cheftalk.com/t/32885/can-i-substitute-real-butter the question was asked by me and another member how to substitute butter for margarine in recipes. I asked specifically how I could change my rugelach dough recipe to swap the margarine for butter. No one responded.   Eight years later, I'm very desirous of kicking margarine out of my kitchen entirely. While the recipe handles well and bakes up well, I don't want to use...
Thanks for introducing yourself, Jan! We certainly do have tons of recipes here. I find it interesting that many times when I'm Googling a recipe, it takes me right to Chef Talk! Our members are not only professionals and home cooks, but also come from all over the world. So it's possible to get a recipe for curry from a Thai home cook; homemade lumpia from a Filipino member; or tips on making great mofongo straight from a San Juan kitchen. After 15 years I still find that...
Hi Reagan- thanks for the introduction. Chef Talk is a great place for home cooks like you and me. Not only is there a ton of information here, but the professionals are great about giving us pointers and also giving us encouragement and validation. In my 15 years here I've found that to be true. Please be aware that while all the discussion forums are open for everyone to read and enjoy, the professional forums are reserved for those working in the industry. However,...
Welcome! You'll find many experienced people with whom to network here. Also, you can kick back and enjoy the community.   Don't miss the articles and other features of the site. We're a lot more than only a discussion forum. Good luck with your quest.   Regards, Mezzaluna
Lauren, have your sweetheart join ChefTalk. We have a Careers board here he might want to check out. Find it on the tab all the way on the right at the top of the page.