or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Welcome Douglas! It's good to have another culinary instructor join the ranks. One of our admins and long-time members, Jim, is a culinary instructor too. We've enjoyed reading about this students' exploits (they're in high school). Is the YMCA gig different? If so, how? I imagine it's more of a community-type atmosphere, but Ys are quite varied across the nation.   You'll find the wealth of our community is in its members, who hail from all over the world, are of all...
Hey, Lukky13, good to have you with us. Chef Talk is a great place to connect with others in the industry and pick up some new ideas. You can lend a hand to others as well, and we hope you do.    Take some time to have a look at all the forums, but don't miss the cooking articles, reviews of cookbooks and equipment, photo galleries, etc. You'll probably get a kick out of this month's Cooking Challenge in the general Food and Cooking forum: its flour, the endlessly...
After seeing Chef Buba's brioche, I'm getting a hankering to make that babka recipe again. The dough has quite a lot of butter and eggs in it. One is chocolate and cinnamon, the other is just cinnamon and sugar with, I think, walnuts.   
Might I add matzo meal? It functions as flour, especially when more finely ground as cake meal.    I just made some excellent brownies today. They have just 1/4 cup of cake flour in them, but gosh, that's just enough:   Fudge Brownies (A/K/A One Inch Brownies) Adapted from Baking at Home with The Culinary Institute of America, © 2004 A recipe from Ann Meyers   Flourless cooking spray for greasing ¾ cups (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter 4 ounces unsweetened...
Yeah, I missed it too! Here I am, taken this past June.
When I was a kid in the 50s and 60s we almost always cooked our steaks from the frozen state. They weren't very thick (about 3/4" or a bit more, usually chuck blade on the bone) and we liked them medium rare at most. We did the same with hamburger patties (sometimes home-ground beef). Always juicier and the Maillard reaction was more pronounced- nice crust on the outside. We did the same with beef roasts (usually chuck) that were dry-roasted rather than...
Welcome, Alli! Chef Talk is a great place to connect with others in your sector of the culinary world. Because our members are global and willing to exchange ideas, your network just expanded exponentially. Whether your operation is retail or commercial, no matter the size, there are people here with experience to share. Of course, many of us are home cooks with a different skill set.  Keep an open mind and you can learn from everyone. For example, the best person to learn...
His wife would have attacked me and made a scene. Everything's about her, of course. With my 90-year-old MIL there and the rest of the family in a fragile peace, I had to hold my fire. At the right moment he'll hear from me.  K-girl, it sounds as if you have a delicate balance in your family as well. So many of us do! Maybe next year we'll travel for Thanksgiving and it'll be so much more relaxing.
My favorite thing to serve is mini-tiropites or spanakotiropites, but they do take a lot of time to make. At least you can prep and freeze them far ahead and just bake off what you need. Around here they sell for over a dollar a piece if you buy them in a specialty market, but I've seen them at Costco too. (Haven't checked the price though.) My mom and her Greek girlfriends made 900 of these for an open house we had for my brother's bar mitzvah in 1963. They were gone in a...
Don't even start with me over our Thanksgiving dinner. My brother-in-law came into my kitchen, where he was supposed to he helping me, and just plain took it over. He ruined the turkey parts by first under-cooking them (they were in foil pans on the grill), then when they weren't going to be ready on time, he took them out of the pans and stuck them on the grates, turned up the burners and burned them. As I had brined the parts, they were then overly-salty and, to my...