or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Hello Jthan. I see you're new to Chef Talk. Welcome!   I've been doing gluten free baking because I have a dear friend who has celiac disease. I realize you're in Germany, so this may not be a reasonable answer for you, but I use King Arthur's products, both their flour and their mixes.    But Cook's Illustrated also has done excellent and exhaustive research into GF baking and has formulated a very good baking mix. I tested some recipes for their first GF cookbook. It...
I use Sm02's method on my gas grill; no reason it wouldn't work on a campfire. I oil the pan. The chicken gets a good sprinkle with lemon juice inside and out, then gets well-seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and other dried herbs. Sometimes I'm in a hurry so I just use Penzeys Mural of Flavor no-salt herb mix. I put the seasoned chicken, untrussed, in the foil pan and put it on the grid over indirect heat, then cover. If you're on an open campfire...
Hello to you, Jthan! We're happy to welcome you to Chef Talk. I'm a home cook myself and can assure you you'll find no better place on the Web to learn from chefs and other home cooks. Period. The best thing about us is that we're willing to share and learn regardless of whether one is a pro, experienced home cook or total noob. Furthermore, our members are from everywhere so you can learn to cook, say, Chilean dishes from Chilean cooks. If someone wants to get the...
Welcome! We look forward to hearing about your adventures and hope you enjoy taking part in the community. Regards, Mezzaluna
Hello Annemarie! Welcome to Chef Talk. What kind of establishment are you working in at present? Does it give you a chance to stretch your wings and try as many of your culinary chops as possible? Where do you see yourself "flying" next?   We hope you'll take some time to have a look round the whole site. We have more than the discussion forums, as engaging as they are: cooking articles, cookbook reviews, reviews of cooking equipment and photo galleries all await you....
Good luck with your interview! Maybe you'll need to change your name here.  (We can help you with that.)    Perhaps you can share your culinary story with us, tell us a bit about how you got your start with cooking, who inspired you, etc.
I was getting in the mood to make some fesenjan, maybe with turkey. I saw some beautiful pomegranates in the store that gave me the idea. There are plenty of walnuts out there too. Mmm... 
Hi Mark! I'm a home cook too. Chef Talk is a wonderful resource for learning more, but what's unusual about it is that your knowledge will be validated here too. If you've learned to make a great dish yourself or from another home cook, share it here. We tend to think our own homemade products can't be as good as a professionals, but that's not necessarily so. And the pros here are willing to listen and try our recipes. In the 15 or so years I've been here it's happened to...
Thanks for the introduction, Kid D. Your background is quite far-ranging. Our membership is international here, so it's possible for you to discuss some of your experiences in the Japanese kitchen with a member from, say Tokyo; your pasta technique with one from Umbria or Chianti; and so on. The members are the wealth of this site! It sounds like we just got a bit richer.    Besides the discussion forums, don't miss the many cooking articles, cookbook and equipment...
Thanks for the introduction, Jason. We're glad you found us and I think you'll enjoy the discussions here. Our founder, @Nicko, has made his own bacon as well as other charcuterie, and others have too. If you use the search tool you can dig up some of those discussions. (I should mention that if the dates on them are pretty old, it may be a good idea to start a new thread if they're of date. Sometimes people move on, etc. so a fresh thread may make more sense that...