or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Welcome to Chef Talk, ChefAl68. We're always happy to have another veteran here in the mix of home cooks, culinary students, young professionals and everyone in between. Our members hail from all over the globe, all ages making for a great amalgamation of ideas. To keep things going smoothly we ask all members to read the Community Guidelines here: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/community-guidelines   Besides the discussion forums we have excellent cooking articles, cookbook...
Howdy RobeFRe, and welcome to Chef Talk. It looks as if cooking is in both your DNA and the ink on your marriage license. That can't be a bad thing. I'm eager to learn what your pioneer forebears taught you to cook. I know Texas food goes beyond barbecue, although that's a jewel worth learning and passing along to one's descendants.   Although your other half is a professional, you haven't mentioned that you are. Because of that I have to mention that our community...
Welcome lovegadgets. I see you've dived in already, so you know how helpful people can be here. I'm sure you'll pay it forward when you get a chance. That's the best thing about Chef Talk, and it sets us apart from a lot of other places online, too. Some of the people you help- or from whom you learn- will be home cooks. That's really different! Not a lot of places you can get a lesson in, say, Thai home cooking from a Thai home cook or professional chef from...
Hello Brett, and welcome!    Congratulations on your move to sous. Chef Talk can be a wonderful place to sharpen your chops, so to speak. Besides giving you a great way to connect with other professionals in the field, you can also connect with veteran home cooks from all over the world. For instance: you'd like to learn how to prepare a dish from Italy, but need some ideas. Chances are a home cook from Italy will chime in. You may even pick up a cherished family recipe...
Welcome Crybaby. Interesting name, I have to say.   Chef Talk is glad to welcome you and we hope you enjoy coming here for both professional and personal culinary reasons. Our tens of thousands of members are from all over the world, all ages, all levels of experience. You'd like to spice up your menu with an authentic Thai dish? You may have a chef in Thailand respond to your post with a recipe, or a home cook from there may give you his/her heritage recipe for a dish....
Welcome, Dhammons! I've zipped through Dothan in my travels and agree completely with your assessment of the climate. But I might say the warmth of the weather matches the warmth of the hospitality.   What dishes are you most fond of cooking and baking? Are they dishes you learned from your family or that you made on your own? I wonder if there was someone in particular who inspired you to love cooking. I have a hunch there was.    Please take some time to explore the...
Hello Karenp, and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm a home cook myself and retired as well. What kinds of cooking and/or baking do you enjoy most? What are you hoping to learn and share here?   Chef Talk is an amazing place for just that. Our members are from all over the world, all ages, all levels of expertise. Feel free to explore the entire site. But please be aware that the professional forums are "read only" for home cooks like you and me. We can post in the general forums...
Hi Dave from London! London UK? I hate to make assumptions, but I will guess that's the case.    What's your culinary fascination? What do you hope to learn and share here?   As you explore here please remember the entire board and site are open to you to read and enjoy. Just keep in mind that the professional forums are "read only" for us home cooks. We do our posting in the general forums where everyone, pros and home cooks alike, post.    My niece is headed to...
Hello Slowcookersguy, I see you've had no trouble finding out how to post here at Chef Talk. As a moderator I need to be sure you've read the community guidelines before you get over-eager and end up posting in one of the professional forums. Those are 'read-only' for us home cooks, but feel free to luxuriate in the wealth of information there.   Here are the guidelines: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/community-guidelines   If you have any questions ask any moderator or...
I made my first babkas today. I used a dough from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking cookbook, although I didn't do an overnight refrigerator rise as the recipe was written. It didn't seem to matter; the dough looked ready after a 2-1/2 hour rise on the kitchen counter.    I used a commercial cinnamon "schmear" I had from King Arthur Flour on one and added some semi-sweet chocolate chips to the other loaf. I just tasted the cinnamon-only loaf (a thin slice off the...