or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Nice to have you here, John. Why don't you tell us a bit about yourself? What type of place are you cooking in? Did someone inspire you to get into a culinary career?   We hope you take a look around and get acquainted with all the features of the site: discussion forums, cooking articles, reviews of equipment and cookbooks, etc. There's a lot here, and it covers 13 years' worth of community content. We hope you add to the mix through your...
Hi LakotaCook- welcome to Chef Talk. I'm a home cook myself and have found this community to be an invaluable resource for ideas, improving my skills and for meeting some interesting people from all over the world. I hope you get as much out of it as I, and many thousands of others, have as well.   What are your favorite things to cook? Are there dishes or ingredients you especially enjoy making? Some of us have wonderful stories of how we got into cooking; maybe you...
Hi Accidentalhobo. Well, it's a partial one! Perhaps you could tell us a bit about your culinary background: how did you get into cooking? What led you to a culinary career? Are there cuisines, ingredients, trends, etc. that you find most exciting? A few here would ask if you're a Styx fan (well, Nicko and Jim would) or what are your other interests. That's optional.    This site is more than a place to come for a discussion forum, as excellent as this one is. (We work...
Thank you for introducing yourself, Calcmandan, and welcome to the community! I'm a home cook too, as are many of us. You'll find a good many helpful people here, professionals and skilled home cooks alike, who are happy to share what they know with you. We hope you'll share your knowledge as well.    We invite you to take a tour of the site and see all the great features here. The FAQ section will explain how the site itself works. In the Cooking Articles you can read...
Alas, no chances to eat in restaurants during our visits to various ports. Our touring schedule kept us quite busy. We sampled waffles with jam on a couple of excursions (buttery, light waffles with strawberry jam, but served cold due to logistic issues no doubt) with excellent coffee. We had a stunning $8 bottle of Coca-Cola purchased at the cafe at the museum shop while visiting the Edvard Grieg home near Bergen. (We calculated the exchange rate carelessly.) Later we...
Oh dear, Ishbel, are we in for a tiff over Cornish vs. Devon style cream tea??! I hope not. I see the Rodda's site has the cream on top of the jam. To me the only thing that matters is that the cream is conveyed to my mouth somehow.   I purchased a small jar of Devonshire clotted double cream today at Fresh Market. I'll bake some scones this weekend, brew a pot of Earl Grey and try to recapture some of the deliciousness of our visit.
As I write this I'm wearing my Borough Market apron. What a wonderful morning! We arrived just as the vendors were opening, and within the hour (it was a Friday), the place was mobbed. The produce was beautiful and included some things that were completely new to me (cobnuts) as well as luscious strawberries, vivid-orange carrots, bright-green zucchini (courgettes) and glossy purple eggplant (aubergines). The worst thing about the visit was that I had no kitchen to take...
Hi BbqBob! Welcome to ChefTalk. You'll find a good many kindred spirits here to share your love of smoke and grilling. You can find discussions by using the search tool, but you might be interested in some of the cookbook and equipment reviews as well. I'm sure you'll find a good many of those will pique your interest.   Home cooks like you and I are free to read every forum, but we mustn't post in the Professionals' forums. However, the General forums are open to...
Welcome to Chef Talk, Doublebwl. This is an excellent place to learn and make connections about cooking and baking. Are you a home cook, or do you work in the industry?   Please take some time to explore the site. If you need to figure out how to use various features here, I suggest a trip to the FAQ page, where just about all your questions will be addressed. If you still have some, just contact any moderator and we'll give you a hand. The discussion forums are...
You guys are making me drool.