or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Don't even start with me over our Thanksgiving dinner. My brother-in-law came into my kitchen, where he was supposed to he helping me, and just plain took it over. He ruined the turkey parts by first under-cooking them (they were in foil pans on the grill), then when they weren't going to be ready on time, he took them out of the pans and stuck them on the grates, turned up the burners and burned them. As I had brined the parts, they were then overly-salty and, to my...
Welcome to Chef Talk. We have many members who have changed to or from culinary fields, so you will have the benefit of their advice and experience. From them you can learn what mistakes to avoid and what opportunities to follow. All of the discussion forums are open to you to read and learn from, and by using the search tool here you can mine them for plenty of great ideas.   You'll notice some of the forums are listed as professional forums. Those are considered "read...
Well then, you've come to the right place! I'm a home cook myself and can attest that Chef Talk and its members afford plenty of opportunities for us to learn and grow as cooks. The discussion forums are all open for everyone to read, although the professional forums are "read only" for us non-professionals; we post in the general forums where everyone posts.   Besides the discussion forums, don't miss the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews and photo...
Thanks for the intro, TheBeef. Your experience and willingness to share with pros and home cooks alike is most welcome. As for unorthodox mannerisms, you'll fit right in, believe me. So long as people keep things civil, we're fine with quirky.  If not, I'd be in trouble, and I've been here almost 15 years.   I'm sure you'll get a kick out of the cooking challenges in the Food and Cooking general forum. Each month a different ingredient or cooking method (usually) is...
I usually make chicken or beef stock in a stock pot on the stove, but I hear people use slow cookers to do it. Do any of you have any experience with this method?   Sometime I'd like to make broth for ramen- real ramen broth, the kind you simmer overnight. I wonder if you could make that in a slow cooker.   Mezz
Welcome gfpatissier. I'm sorry too that an injury brought you here, but hope you are enriched by your participation here.   Am I assuming too much that "gf" might mean "gluten free"? I do a bit of gluten free baking myself for a friend who has celiac disease and have learned a great deal from the experience. If I made a false assumption, well then, never mind.    We have a strong contingent of bakers and patissiers her from all over the world. The photo gallery is...
I second Koukouvagia's opinion about piercing the meat. Also, if you marinate the chicken too long in the citrus juices, the flesh will become mushy. Don't leave it more than 4 hours in the juices, in my opinion. Use the zest as others have said. Herbs such as lemon grass, lemon verbena, lemon thyme, etc. can give you some lemon flavor without the actual citrus as well. Lemon-infused oils also carry the flavor without breaking down the meat.   Try roasting the chicken on...
No big deal Amy. We won't rescind your membership.  The pros had been deluged with questions akin to "How do I boil an egg?" which were better-left to us home cooks, so we changed our policies a while back to let them deal with issues like "What's the best serve poached eggs during a six hour brunch service for 1,240 people?" You can see we cook in different culinary worlds!    I have pickled cucumbers and green tomatoes according to my grandmother's cold salt brine...
Hi Chris, and thanks for the intro. I'm a home cook too and usually do things from scratch as well mostly because I can't stand the amount of salt in processed food. Also, I was taught to cook from scratch so it's most natural to me. As a young person, were you mostly self-taught, or were there inspirations you had that gave you the basics and desire to advance?   Chef Talk has a lot going for it, and I hope you explore it all: discussion forums, cooking articles, photo...
Hello Joe, and thanks for introducing yourself. We're glad you found us and hope you'll contribute your own knowledge and expertise to the mix of ideas here. The mix of people here includes experienced and newbie home cooks as well as professionals because we know knowledge about food can come from unexpected sources. Perhaps you were inspired to cook by your mother or grandmother, or by someone else who showed you for the first time that cooking was your passion. We hope...