or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Very good points all. I would add that the color and material of the pans matters, too. I used rather heavy weight metal pans, but they are somewhat dark in color. As you can see from looking at the photos, I did line them with parchment paper, but I suspect the color may still matter. I have some glass pans; how might that affect the outcome? My grandmother baked bread in glass pans when she made white loaves (not challah).   I know I used extra large eggs (not organic...
Hello Niki, and welcome! You won't be able to post photos or links for a little while, as you are a new member. But if you go to the FAQ page and scroll down to the Turorials section, you'll see on on images and videos that will explain how to add images.   http://www.cheftalk.com/a/faq   Be sure you've read the community guidelines, too. When you joined, you agreed to follow them: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/community-guidelines   Let us know if you have any...
Thank you peisenberg for the insights. I wondered if more sugar in the dough would help, but just adding more liquid seems most logical of all. I don't have enough information to know about how whole milk vs. powdered milk might affect the dough, although I saw that in several other recipes.    Thank you for the link to RLB's recipe. I have her Rose's Heavenly Cakes, but no other of her books. Interesting she calls for Gold Medal flour. That's exactly the brand I use,...
Not long ago I baked my first babka. I used the following recipe from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking. I followed the directions as printed, although I shaped the babkas differently from the description given. However, the results weren't stellar. They were a bit dry and "breadier" than I had expected. I had hoped for more filling and thinner dough. It was very thin and tender when I rolled it out. Photos are below.   I'd appreciate any observations and...
Welcome roxxor93. You'll find a lot of support and good information here to help you along your way.    Have a look around- enjoy the discussion forums but don't miss the great reading in the cooking articles, reviews, etc. Any time spent here is well-worth it. Connections you make here can be very beneficial, too.    Good luck in your work and in your studies. I hope we see you here often.   Regards, Mezzaluna
Oy! BBQ sauce and cola in cholent- a new tradition, but be sure!  Gotta love it. We are an adaptable people. I'll have to give this month's challenge some thought. My slow cooker is a Breville with a cast aluminum, non-stick insert. I can brown meat in it on the stove-top without having to use a separate pan. It has shortcomings (the lid slips askew easily) but it works fine for me. 
Hello Shuy38 and welcome! Are you a chef working in a restaurant? Or are you a home cook? Your description says "can't boil water". Please clarify. In either case, We're happy you have found us and hope you enjoy being part of the community.     You'll notice the many discussion forums we have here are grouped by "professional" and "general". Everyone is encouraged to read all forums, but if you are a home cook (as I am), posting must be done only in the general forums....
Chefsmom, hello from another middle school teacher! I retired some years ago, but I loved teaching that age better than any other, and I taught all ages in my 30 years on the job. One minute they're snarling some rap lyrics, the next minute they're snuggling their stuffed animals. Gotta love it!
Welcome, dantech. I'm a home cook too, as are many of us. The community is a wonderful place to learn; but don't be shy to share what you know, too. Kosher cookery is a challenge for most of the people here, so you have skills and information that may not be generally known. There are other "members of the tribe" here (myself included) but occasionally someone will need help with meeting needs of a client. So there are times when such knowledge is a plus.   Although I'm...
Welcome, Peter! You and I have much in common. I love to cook and eat. I am a retired teacher; half of my 30 years was spent with students having special needs (ages 4-19), the rest as a reading intervention teacher for students ages 11-14. I, too, used food and cooking in my classroom over the years.    I hope you'll do a "walkabout" here and take time to see the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries, etc. as well as the many discussion...