or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Feed Me Bubbe!   God rest her soul, she passed away in August, but she's a real, honest-to-goodness Jewish grandmother who demonstrates "modern" kosher cooking for her grandson and all of us.    
Hello Smokeindaeye, and welcome to Chef Talk. We have a good contingent of pros and home cooks who enjoy grilling and bbq, and have had many conversations over the years on various related topics. I'm sure you'll be a real asset to the mix.   Besides your strong affinity for smoke, are there other food and cooking interests you enjoy? Are there cuisines or methods you hope to explore? We invite you to peruse all areas of the site, including the cooking articles, cookbook...
Welcome notachefyet! I hope you will soon ask us to change your name to something that proudly tells everyone that you are, indeed, a chef.    Please don't worry that English is not your first language. Your writing is quite good! Our members are from all over the world and speak many, many languages. We respect the effort it takes to participate here in a second- or third, or fourth!- language. No worries.    If you are a student you will want to read and search in...
Hello Laurent! I apologize for the delay in responding; life intervened. We are all volunteers here and do the best we can to keep up.   To answer your question, I think you are asking if you need professional training to be a personal chef. This forum is the New Users Introductions forum, so answers to specific questions such as this would be better answered in one of the topical forums. Since the one dealing with personal chefs is for professionals, and you are a home...
Welcome, Buckeye 1. We're glad you found us- we're a great place to discuss equipment for the home. Did you use the search tool to dig for threads with the information you needed? I know Viking equipment has been a topic here before as I've owned some (and complained about it) over the years. Keep in mind we've been here 15 years, so the dates of posts can be important to take into account, especially with equipment.   Take a look around the site and don't overlook the...
Hi Merysnook! I'm a home cook too and have gained so much from being part of this community, and I hope you do too.    As home cooks are encouraged to read and learn from all forums in here (as well as to read the great articles, reviews, etc.). But we must consider the professionals' discussion forums as "read only" and do our posting in the general forums. Everyone posts there, so your questions will be answered in those areas of the board. Be sure to take advantage of...
Welcome, Alebelanger! Bienvenue--- For many of our members English is not the first language. We understand that and appreciate the effort of taking part here en Anglais. I would have a serious problem if I wanted to participate in a cooking community in French, as rusty as it is for me.   You will find a warm welcome here and I hope you enjoy taking part. Be sure to read the cooking articles, equipment reviews, etc. There is a great deal here besides the discussion...
@panini, isn't there a joke about Babe Ruth or somebody and asparagus pee?    Not that this month's challenge hasn't been great (because it's been lip-smackin' good), but I wonder what's in store for November?    I never got a chance to make fesenjan this month, but I could next month. Both pomegranates and turkey will be plentiful in November, so there's time.
Empanadas or other filled pies come to mind.   Some type of cake? A porky or beefy version of crab cakes?  I know some cuisines make fried croquettes out of cooked meat. I think I ate such an item in the Netherlands many, many years ago- but not made of pork I don't think. I seem to remember the texture being very finely ground, almost like a paste.   Sometimes when I've got leftover pork roast I shave it thinly with my chef's knife when the meat is very cold cold and...
Welcome kafura! I think you will find this site and its community to be very supportive and informative as you explore this change in your life direction.   The forums are a great source of information, and I'm sure you'll spend a lot of time reading there. Please be aware that for home cooks like you and me the professional forums are "read only". We can search and learn there all we like but must do posting of any questions in the general forums. Our questions are...