or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Thanks for introducing yourself, Jan! We certainly do have tons of recipes here. I find it interesting that many times when I'm Googling a recipe, it takes me right to Chef Talk! Our members are not only professionals and home cooks, but also come from all over the world. So it's possible to get a recipe for curry from a Thai home cook; homemade lumpia from a Filipino member; or tips on making great mofongo straight from a San Juan kitchen. After 15 years I still find that...
Hi Reagan- thanks for the introduction. Chef Talk is a great place for home cooks like you and me. Not only is there a ton of information here, but the professionals are great about giving us pointers and also giving us encouragement and validation. In my 15 years here I've found that to be true. Please be aware that while all the discussion forums are open for everyone to read and enjoy, the professional forums are reserved for those working in the industry. However,...
Welcome! You'll find many experienced people with whom to network here. Also, you can kick back and enjoy the community.   Don't miss the articles and other features of the site. We're a lot more than only a discussion forum. Good luck with your quest.   Regards, Mezzaluna
Lauren, have your sweetheart join ChefTalk. We have a Careers board here he might want to check out. Find it on the tab all the way on the right at the top of the page.
Welcome, KNH42. I'm a home cook as well and know you can gain a lot from interacting here. The other home cooks are great resources, and the professionals will provide information you never dreamed you could pick up without going to culinary school. Grandmothers are wonderful inspirations, aren't they? Mine certainly was.   You'll notice the forums are divided into professional and general categories. While everyone is encouraged to read all forums, we home cooks mustn't...
Hi Dave- we hope you do more than sponge off us  and that you're not too weird . We hope you share what you know and add to the mix in the discussions.    Don't forget to take some time to look around the rest of the site beyond the discussion forums. We have excellent cooking articles and other features here as well. Also, I bet you'd enjoy taking part in the Cooking Challenges which change monthly. This month's challenge focuses on Slow Cooking. The link is at the top...
Very good points all. I would add that the color and material of the pans matters, too. I used rather heavy weight metal pans, but they are somewhat dark in color. As you can see from looking at the photos, I did line them with parchment paper, but I suspect the color may still matter. I have some glass pans; how might that affect the outcome? My grandmother baked bread in glass pans when she made white loaves (not challah).   I know I used extra large eggs (not organic...
Hello Niki, and welcome! You won't be able to post photos or links for a little while, as you are a new member. But if you go to the FAQ page and scroll down to the Turorials section, you'll see on on images and videos that will explain how to add images.   http://www.cheftalk.com/a/faq   Be sure you've read the community guidelines, too. When you joined, you agreed to follow them: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/community-guidelines   Let us know if you have any...
Thank you peisenberg for the insights. I wondered if more sugar in the dough would help, but just adding more liquid seems most logical of all. I don't have enough information to know about how whole milk vs. powdered milk might affect the dough, although I saw that in several other recipes.    Thank you for the link to RLB's recipe. I have her Rose's Heavenly Cakes, but no other of her books. Interesting she calls for Gold Medal flour. That's exactly the brand I use,...
Not long ago I baked my first babka. I used the following recipe from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking. I followed the directions as printed, although I shaped the babkas differently from the description given. However, the results weren't stellar. They were a bit dry and "breadier" than I had expected. I had hoped for more filling and thinner dough. It was very thin and tender when I rolled it out. Photos are below.   I'd appreciate any observations and...