or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Thank you for introducing yourself, Tony. You'll find a strong cadre of chefs here to exchange ideas with and to just shoot the breeze with.    Besides the many discussion forums we have a good many excellent cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and other resources here. The search tool will help you wade through it all, as we've been here 14 years; there's a lot of stuff here! The members are the wealth of CT, in my opinion. We hail from all...
Hello Roberta, and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm a bit confused by your tag though: are you a personal chef working in people's homes or a person who cooks in her own home (as I do)? It does make a bit of a difference, as those of us who are non-professionals don't have access to the professionals' forums here except to read them- not for posting.   In any case, we're glad you're here and hope you enjoy being part of the community. The site includes much more than only...
Welcome to Chef Talk, JsPlaffy! I hope you get the response you desire in the baking and pastry forum. Bruleeing sugar can be tricky if you're going to avoid bitterness or, worse yet, a call from the fire department.    I'm a home cook myself and have found the professionals here to be very helpful. The professionals' forums are "read only" for us home cooks, but we can post our questions for everyone (pros included) in the general forums and they'll get the respect and...
We're glad you decided to "jump into the batter", Lisacay! We're delighted to hear Chef Talk has been a help to you in your work and hope you will pay it forward (when time permits) by participating in discussions and answering others' questions when you can.    If you've been hanging out here for some time, you know about the excellent cooking articles, and that we're much more than only a bunch of discussion forums. There are also reviews of equipment and cookbooks as...
Hello Saucybroad and welcome to Chef Talk. I bet you'll like it here a lot too! If you've had a chance to look around a bit you know we're different from other sites: no flaming, no unnecessary roughness, just lots of good talk about food, cooking and all things related. One very different thing is that we're also home to some eager (and, I must say) competent home cooks. Okay, I meant myself just now  but we've learned time and again pros can learn a lot from home cooks....
Beautiful country, Herefordshire. I haven't been there for some years but it's on my list to return- this time with my husband in tow.    Good luck to you, @Rachael1989, in your new position. Are there dishes or products you feature as regional specialties or those of your own?
When you render down chicken fat and or skin, the crispy bits are called gribenes and the liquid fat is called schmaltz. Michael Ruhlman wrote a whole book about it.
The first time I made butternut squash soup was with Momoreg at her house in 2001. She was a regular here in the early days, but her baking business (Cake Suite) has taken off bigtime, so she's not here much. I had no idea it was so easy to do! I've made it many times since.
I think limoncello would be good too. Orange is a traditional flavor to marry well with cranberries, but the whiskey or even rum would be delicious as well. They could be cooked down with some water and sugar to make a syrup for drinks, too.   Although I use fresh or frozen cranberries to make a relish, I bet you could use the dried ones too. You'd just have to use less sugar since the dried ones are usually sweetened.    I grind one 12 ounce bag of fresh cranberries...
I use Instant Clear Gel from King Arthur Flour. It's $5.95 for 8 oz. You use a couple of tablespoons mixed in with your sugar. It works very well.   You can also consider a few other options: blind bake your crust for a few minutes before adding your filling; placing your pie at a lower level in the oven; turning up the heat a few degrees (say, 15 or 20); using a glass or ceramic pan if you're using a metal one. I've also boosted browning by putting my pie tin on a black...