or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Chris, you got me thinking of rillettes. But if the bacon was too, too smoky (I'm thinking of Neuske's, for instance), it might overpower the meat unless you blend it with rendered poultry fat. Rillettes du porc or du canard with fresh-baked baguette are among my foods I'd want if stranded on a deserted island.     Pastry for a savory pie or tart?   A bit tangential to this, but I seem to recall the an army long ago used pork fat to keep weapons and amunition from...
For now, you can't beat fresh, out-of-hand cherries! I like the Royal Anne cherries too, but they're very fragile and bruise so easily. They're very expensive, but what a treat.
I love to roast them briefly (enough for a bit of char) over an open flame (I have a gas stove) if it's not possible to put them on my grill, then cut them off the cob and make a salad similar to one I read in a Sara Moulton cookbook. Summer Corn Salad, I think it was called.   I dice ripe tomatoes, sweet red onion, bell peppers (I dislike them but include them for others), English cucumbers (peel and all), diced carrots and celery. If I need it to be heartier I add...
G'day! Let me add my welcome. We're happy you found us as well. Best wishes for success in your new endeavor.   My husband and I will be visiting Brisbane (briefly) as part of a cruise next February. I don't know where in Queensland you reside, but that's the only landfall we'll make in that state and we're looking forward to it. I have a Facebook friend who lives in the Gold Coast area, and the photos from there show heavenly vistas.   Like K-girl, I'm eager to know...
Welcome Chris! It sounds like you've been looking around the site. I'm glad you're interested in the monthly challenges; those can be awesome and lots of fun. It's amazing what people come up with.   We'll look forward to your participation in the forums, your photo gallery and perhaps in time, some submissions for cooking articles. Nearly all of those are written by Chef Talk members. As outstanding as all those features are, the wealth of this community is in its...
May he rest in blessed peace, and may his family and dear ones be comforted having known his goodness.
@Mike9, anything with rillettes is heaven to me! Lucky you. Now you've got me thinking about making some myself, which I haven't done in ages. 
@oldschool1982 , I thought this would be better than a solid sheet of fat because the meat would just kind of steam under that. And yes, the drippings were very, very tasty.  Sort of beef gribenes, if you know what I mean. :D   @jake t buds , at first glance I thought your egg dish was shakshukah. Looks really tasty!
I wanted to make a beef roast on the grill for my husband but the butcher didn't have a small rib roast (or any of them, for that matter). All he had were rump roasts (too lean) and sirloin tips of the wrong size. So I had him cut a 3.5 pound sirloin steak and give me some thick slices of beef fat with it. I seasoned the steak well, laid a couple of slices of the fat in the bottom of a foil roasting pan, then laid the meat on top. I chopped about a cup and a half of the...
Hello Brian; thank you for the introduction. It's good to hear the community has been a help to you already.   We advise all new members to read the Community Guidelines upon joining ChefTalk to avoid confusion about using the forums. http://www.cheftalk.com/a/faq While all forums are open to all members to read, the professionals' forums are "read only" for us at-home cooks. Your questions for professionals should be posted only in the general forums. Trust me, they...