or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Thanks for the introduction, Kid D. Your background is quite far-ranging. Our membership is international here, so it's possible for you to discuss some of your experiences in the Japanese kitchen with a member from, say Tokyo; your pasta technique with one from Umbria or Chianti; and so on. The members are the wealth of this site! It sounds like we just got a bit richer.    Besides the discussion forums, don't miss the many cooking articles, cookbook and equipment...
Thanks for the introduction, Jason. We're glad you found us and I think you'll enjoy the discussions here. Our founder, @Nicko, has made his own bacon as well as other charcuterie, and others have too. If you use the search tool you can dig up some of those discussions. (I should mention that if the dates on them are pretty old, it may be a good idea to start a new thread if they're of date. Sometimes people move on, etc. so a fresh thread may make more sense that...
Hello Sheila and welcome to the community.   Since most of your post deals with professional issues, I'm going to move it to a better forum where it will get the notice it needs to get the best answer. Good luck with this difficulty.   If you'd like to return to the Introductions forum and tell us more about how you got into cooking, who may have inspired you and so forth, we'd love to hear your story!    Warm regards, Mezzaluna
Thank you for the introduction, Elizabeth. You'll be very happy with the contacts you make here, as I'm certain you'll find people who are able to answer your questions and inspire you to find new ways to amp up your establishment. Since our membership reaches far beyond North America, you'll be pleased to know we have a strong contingent of Italians among our ranks who may be able to strengthen your menus in the ways you want to. Some are professional chefs, others are...
Hi cipolla, we're glad to have you too. I see you've already jumped in and are getting comfortable. We look forward to your participation and hope you enjoy being part of the community.   Perhaps you can tell us a bit about your establishment. Is there an interesting story behind how or why you got into cooking? I've heard some fascinating ones over the years.    You might find the current month's challenge, Rice, a great way to have some fun and get acquainted with...
Oh, Pete no!!!! I'm devastated.... oy, gevalt.  In my family, it was my grandfather who was in charge of putting up the pickles, according to my mom (who taught me the recipe). Pickling cukes whole or cut to fit the jar; kosher salt; pickling spice with the chilis fished out (no heat for my little Russian baubie!), several garlic cloves and plenty of stalks and tops of fresh dill,  cold water, another hit of kosher salt and one pea-sized chunk of alum at the end. Top off...
Oh, yes, food from the 50s and 60s! I have a few feet of bookshelf dedicated to cookbooks from this period and earlier.    We have a couple of restaurants in our area devoted to Wisconsin supper club food from the period. The restaurateur is a Beard award-winner for other properties (not these though): http://www.joeygerards.com/menus/dinner/ Cheeseheads from that period (and still, I would insist) expected to find a crock of liverwurst spread, pickles, olives, celery...
Hello brwneyechef. We're glad you've joined us and hope you find what you're looking for here in terms of insights and options. We're happy to have your advice added to the mix, too. The experience of our members is one of the riches of Chef Talk.   Can you tell us a bit about your establishment? I'm always curious myself to know a bit about what brought people into the culinary world. Was there someone who inspired you- a family member or mentor- who 'turned on the...
Hello Mikko and welcome to Chef Talk. In what discipline are you working on your master's degree?   This community is a wonderful place to learn about different types of cuisine, how to use unfamiliar ingredients and ways to spark your creativity, among many other possibilities. The discussion forums are full of great ideas! You are encouraged to read in all of them, but please be aware of our rule that the professionals' forums are "read only" for home cooks like you...
Thanks for the introduction, Kirkland. We're glad to have someone with your broad experience with us. I think Chef Talk will be someplace you'll find helpful and that you'll be a good resource to others here, too. Besides that, we're a fun bunch of people from just about everywhere!   The discussion forums are great for meeting people and getting some great ideas, but don't miss the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries, and all the other...