or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Welcome striker56! We're happy to have you with us. We have some Greek members here, and our founder, Nicko, is an American Greek. Many of us (myself included) have visited Greece. We'll try and help you feel at home here.  Please let us know if you have any questions about how the site works.   I hope you'll take a look at the cooking articles, photo galleries, and the reviews of equipment and books. You have probably found the forum for culinary students already, and I...
Welcome to Chef Talk JonPaul. We're always happy to welcome another culinary enthusiast to our ranks. I'm a home cook myself and have enjoyed over a decade of participation here. My cooking (which was pretty good to begin with, if I do say so myself) has improved and I can now bake with more confidence. Besides that I've conversed with some of the most interesting people from all over the world and gained a few pounds, too.  And I don't mean pounds sterling.   Please...
Zagut, I'm no computer whiz. I'll see what I can do to find out why you can't see the smileys and other editing tools. Could be your browser; could be something else. You may receive a Private Message (PM) from another moderator about this, possibly Phatch. Phil might be able to help you; I'll see if he or someone else can figure it out. In the mean time, enjoy the site!
Welcome Chef Matt. We're glad you found us and hope you enjoy being part of the community as well. We've had members here who cook at colleges; one cooked in a residence hall and had a very motherly feeling toward her "kids". Lots of good stories and good tips about making do on academic budgets. I was involved as a student in residence hall food service as an advisor to the director and learned a bit about what it takes to feed 7800 people, including some international...
You've certainly been doing some thinking! All I can add is, do some reading here. We have a ton of members who've changed careers, both from kitchens to other jobs and from other jobs into kitchens. Read both perspectives. Our search tool will help you find them, and because we go back almost 14 years, there are a lot of posts and threads to sift through! Some of those people are gone from the community, some are still here. Be aware of posting dates, as the conversation...
Pete nailed it! As for smilies, just click on the little smiley face above the box where you're typing your reply. A box of smilies will pop up. Just click on your selection. It'll appear in your text wherever your cursor was when you clicked on the smiley face.  No need to copy and paste gifs or jpgs.   As for dishes, simple is best anyway IMHO. I hate cleaning up after cooking, so it works well that way too. 
 No worries! Civility is our watchword, not priggishness.  Have another look at the Community Guidelines and you'll never hear "a discouraging word" from a moderator, Zagut.   What do you like to cook? Are there dishes you've always wanted to learn about but haven't gotten to yet? When I started here, I didn't bake or make desserts much at all. Now I have loads more confidence because I have so many people to ask for help and so much material to consult quickly.
Hello JTX3! I see Kaique Kuisine has given you some solid insights. I'd like to give you a hearty Chef Talk welcome to the community.   I'm a home cook too, although I cooked very briefly in a small cafe years ago when I was in college. It taught me great respect for the people who cook in restaurants and also how much I didn't know about what it takes to do it on a daily basis. You have daily contact with someone who does, but it's one person with that one person's...
Welcome Zagut! We hope you enjoy participating even more than you have enjoyed lurking. The moderators will keep you in line.  In time, you can become one of the people who makes this site wonderful for other people. That's how this place has worked for about 14 years now.   Since you've been lurking, I'll assume you've also wandered around and seen the cooking articles, photo galleries and all the other goodies here. Now that you're posting, please be aware that the...
Absolutely- freeze them rock-hard first. This is also how they make deep-fried ice cream balls. Choose a batter that is light and fries very quickly, in a minute or two at most. I'm no expert on frying, but the oil should probably be pretty hot so the batter fries almost at once. The less time the item spends in the oil, the less time your chocolate has to melt. Good luck!