or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Hello Captains! Please don't think of yourself as "just" a home cook here. You may be surprised to learn that you know things others don't, and some of those others may be professional chefs. You may have learned things from your heritage or from your family that others may not know and that you take for granted, but that some may be delighted to learn. Trust me, after 15 years here I can say that honestly. My point is, don't be shy about participating.   The discussion...
Oh boy, here we go. Why does there have to be one way to pronounce this? Tomato, tomahto.... I grew up with "quemen" and also "baa'zil" for the herb from which pesto is made, not "bay'zil". That last is probably because we had Greek neighbors who gave us seeds from their home village and called it by its Greek name (vasiliko) with a soft a. Enjoy using it and don't worry about it.😊
I've used a thickener from King Arthur Flour which you mix with the sugar, but Chef Buba's method has worked for me as well. I think which thickener you choose depends on the the fruit, amount of juice and result you're going for.
Xtratrestrial, sounds like you have your hands full and love it!    If you've been hanging around here before, you know the virtues of the discussion forums. But have you taken a look at the cooking articles? There's a wealth of great information there, especially on the kinds of topics you want to become more adept with (flavors). Although this month's cooking challenge has to do with TV and movies dealing with food, earlier months have had fascinating discussions:...
Hi Matatatt, and welcome to Chef Talk. How about telling us a bit about yourself? I see you've dived into the discussion fray (the benedict you posted sounds yummy, BTW.)   Welcome, Mezzaluna     P.S.- Jerry Seinfeld's "hello" .gif can be embedded and visible if you use the little photo icon next to the smiley face. I left it undone so you can edit it yourself and see how easy it is. If you have 
Thanks for your intro, Attaboy. I think you'll find this is an excellent place to hang out for both your cooking and artistic muses. I'll direct you to the photo galleries where there are plenty of works of art. Granted, most are in the medium of edibles, but I think some have also posted in other media.    Besides the many and varied discussion forums, be sure to have a look at the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, special guest Q & As and more. When...
Feed Me Bubbe!   God rest her soul, she passed away in August, but she's a real, honest-to-goodness Jewish grandmother who demonstrates "modern" kosher cooking for her grandson and all of us.    
Hello Smokeindaeye, and welcome to Chef Talk. We have a good contingent of pros and home cooks who enjoy grilling and bbq, and have had many conversations over the years on various related topics. I'm sure you'll be a real asset to the mix.   Besides your strong affinity for smoke, are there other food and cooking interests you enjoy? Are there cuisines or methods you hope to explore? We invite you to peruse all areas of the site, including the cooking articles, cookbook...
Welcome notachefyet! I hope you will soon ask us to change your name to something that proudly tells everyone that you are, indeed, a chef.    Please don't worry that English is not your first language. Your writing is quite good! Our members are from all over the world and speak many, many languages. We respect the effort it takes to participate here in a second- or third, or fourth!- language. No worries.    If you are a student you will want to read and search in...
Hello Laurent! I apologize for the delay in responding; life intervened. We are all volunteers here and do the best we can to keep up.   To answer your question, I think you are asking if you need professional training to be a personal chef. This forum is the New Users Introductions forum, so answers to specific questions such as this would be better answered in one of the topical forums. Since the one dealing with personal chefs is for professionals, and you are a home...