or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Welcome Akimhof! You've come to the right place to get to know others who are passionate about food and cooking. As for eggs, use the search tool and the threads about cooking them will pop up aplenty! In fact, one of our monthly Cooking Challenges- the one for August 2014- concerned eggs and the many ways to use them. The Cooking Challenges are in the Food and Cooking general forum; have a look there.   The forums are roughly divided into professional and general...
I'm moving this very old thread to a professional chefs' forums where it may get the attention it merits. If not, try starting a new thread in one of the cooking forums. If you'd like to introduce yourself, we invite you to return to the New Users Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself.   Good luck! Mezzaluna
Homecook2014 I may take you up on the offer when I head over to visit my family sometime.    I was last in England in September 2013 after a rather long absence and was very, very pleasantly surprised at the developments in restaurant food and also in the array and quality of foods available in food shops such as Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc. My earliest trips were in the late 1960s (yes, I'm old) when bland or salty and greasy was the order of the day (think traditional pork...
@chefedb, I reheat my meat loaves and other juicy food I've sealed in FoodSaver bags without losing any moisture. I bring a pot of water to a low boil, ease the bag into it (while the contents are still frozen solid), then let the food simmer until completely re-warmed. The juices remain in the food and aren't lost at all. The meat loaf is still as juicy and flavorful as when I brought it to the table the first time. It's kinda tricky to seal juicy foods like that though;...
OY!!!  Maybe, @flipflopgirl, it's because to me MW is, well, inedible. (Sorry, I know it's a subjective thing.) White bread, on the other hand, is obligatory.  The bread may be toasted. But it has to be with Heinz ketchup, ice-cold right out of the fridge. I'm orthodox about that. I know this is a thread about meatloaf, but this is also how I adore leftover salmon patties. I like them better leftover cold than freshly-made and hot. Meatloaf and salmon patties are two of...
Welcome Douglas! It's good to have another culinary instructor join the ranks. One of our admins and long-time members, Jim, is a culinary instructor too. We've enjoyed reading about this students' exploits (they're in high school). Is the YMCA gig different? If so, how? I imagine it's more of a community-type atmosphere, but Ys are quite varied across the nation.   You'll find the wealth of our community is in its members, who hail from all over the world, are of all...
Hey, Lukky13, good to have you with us. Chef Talk is a great place to connect with others in the industry and pick up some new ideas. You can lend a hand to others as well, and we hope you do.    Take some time to have a look at all the forums, but don't miss the cooking articles, reviews of cookbooks and equipment, photo galleries, etc. You'll probably get a kick out of this month's Cooking Challenge in the general Food and Cooking forum: its flour, the endlessly...
After seeing Chef Buba's brioche, I'm getting a hankering to make that babka recipe again. The dough has quite a lot of butter and eggs in it. One is chocolate and cinnamon, the other is just cinnamon and sugar with, I think, walnuts.   
Might I add matzo meal? It functions as flour, especially when more finely ground as cake meal.    I just made some excellent brownies today. They have just 1/4 cup of cake flour in them, but gosh, that's just enough:   Fudge Brownies (A/K/A One Inch Brownies) Adapted from Baking at Home with The Culinary Institute of America, © 2004 A recipe from Ann Meyers   Flourless cooking spray for greasing ¾ cups (1-1/2 sticks) unsalted butter 4 ounces unsweetened...
Yeah, I missed it too! Here I am, taken this past June.