or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Yeah, I thought there was an awful lot of milk for just four yolks. Your ratio is the same on as on the Nellie and Joe's bottle. The baking time seemed long to me too, but then I never set the timer for the full baking time when I'm doing a recipe for the first time. I always knock off 25% of the time, take a look and go from there. You can always add time. If I were serving this at my house instead of transporting it, I'd probably go with the meringue. I don't have a pie...
Dear @Panini! Always wonderful to see you.    The pie will be baked; do the yolks still need tempering if they're being mixed with the condensed milk and the lime juice? If it were a true custard (which I'm not completely sure this is...?) I would certainly do so. With SO much sugar and the extra-dense protein in the condensed milk, would it still be necessary? King Arthur doesn't say so, but they've been known to make mistakes now and then. (although I'm wild about...
I'm making key lime pie for dessert for dinner tomorrow evening. Can I make this the day before (i.e., more than "overnight")? Do I put plastic wrap on the surface of the pie to prevent skin forming or not worry about that?    Thanks in advance, Mezzaluna   The recipe is from King Arthur Flour website:   Crust: 1 cup + 2 tablespoons very finely ground salted pretzel crumbs 3 tablespoons sugar 7 tablespoons butter, melted   Filling 4 large egg yolks two...
Phatch, you  beat me to the punch with the avgolemono soup. I've made that many times, as well as avgolemono sauce to serve with dolmades.   Shakshuka is on my must-try list, although I'll want to modify the recipe: I do NOT like bell peppers of any color, and since my husband isn't fond of tomatoes, it'll be a dish I'll be eating myself.   I've been making hard-cooked eggs in the oven lately. Two weeks ago I cooked two dozen to make egg salad for myself and the other...
Let me add my welcome. Our nephew just moved to Austin (yesterday, in fact) to attend U-T there. So now we have a budding Texan in our family once again. My brother was at Fort Sam Houston for pharmacy training during the Vietnam War. He loved San Antonio.    Of course, I have some awesome baker friends in Dallas. 
Dried horseradish? It can be fibrous and wood-like.
Wouldn't bread flour have too much protein for such a tender dough? I always think of bread flour as having too much gluten for tender baked goods like cake and pastry. But I'm not well-schooled in such things.   I've not made kolaches before, but the ones I've encountered didn't have a yeast-type dough; it was more of a pastry-type dough similar to what you'd use for rugelach. I use all-purpose flour for my rugelach (see my avatar for these little treats; they're also...
G'day AussieCook! Thank you for introducing yourself. Your broad experience is a most welcome addition to our community and underscores once again my belief that the wealth of this site is its members.   We're an eclectic lot: international, all ages, all experience levels, professional and home cooks. The mix makes for some very interesting discussions and unexpected learning opportunities too. As a home cook I've been privileged to learn from the pros here, but they've...
Thank you for introducing yourself, Tony. You'll find a strong cadre of chefs here to exchange ideas with and to just shoot the breeze with.    Besides the many discussion forums we have a good many excellent cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and other resources here. The search tool will help you wade through it all, as we've been here 14 years; there's a lot of stuff here! The members are the wealth of CT, in my opinion. We hail from all...