or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Welcome, Corey. My brother started as you did. He became a successful chef-owner and now his son is the chef, working to take buy his dad out. maybe that'll be you someday.   Since you've been looking around for a bit you know we have a good array of forums. But don't miss the excellent cooking articles! We do have very talented people here, both professionals and home cooks. I always say the members are the wealth of this site. There aren't a lot of places online where...
Chef Jett, you're in good company. One of our admins is a culinary instructor too, and many of our members are as well. I see you've already dived into the discussions, so you're already getting a feel for the place: respectful, international, fun a bit unexpected too!   We hope you enjoy being part of the mix and that you visit often to participate and share. Welcome! Mezzaluna
Welcome sovrappiensiero! On behalf of the home cooks and professionals here at Chef Talk, we hope you find exactly what you seek here: knowledge about pastry, baking and food as well as a respectful and enjoyable place to discuss your passion about those topics.    The discussion threads go back many years, so since you posted in an old thread, please understand some of the members may not still be here. Sometimes it's best to start a new discussion. Having said that, I...
Hello Jeff! It must be exciting to be so close to the start of your professional life. This community is a great place to help bounce questions and ideas off the heads of professionals, including owners/operators, chefs, and others who work in every aspect of the culinary world. We even have a career board, which I hope you'll take a look at.   Besides the many discussion forums, don't miss the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and more....
Hello Sarai! Welcome to Chef Talk. A good many of our members are nutrition-conscious, so you'll find yourself in good company. A search here will direct you to articles and discussion threads on particular topics of interest. A caution about the discussion threads though: some of them may have paused a good, long time ago. If that's the case, we recommend you start a new thread on the topic, as people come and go; also, times change and knowledge progresses.    Besides...
Jenna, I have a sneaking suspicion you'll like it too! We have discussion forums to scratch that gardening itch and others for just about every aspect of food and cooking. The idea that you're here to learn and share is exactly the outlook we hope to espouse here in our community.   You'll note we also have excellent cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and much more. The search tool will keep you busy exploring the 14+ years of information...
Welcome cgomez! Now that you're both in the industry, perhaps you have a better chance of having similar work schedules.    I see you've jumped into the discussion forums already. There's plenty to read, as we have 14+ years of material here. Try making some searches with the tool here to see if some of your questions may have been addressed. Do be careful to watch the dates of posts if you want to add to a discussion, though. If the thread is too old you'll want to...
This from a Wisconsin Cheesehead: don't gild the lilly. Use the best cheese you can get (preferably aged Wisconsin cheddar), whole milk, freshly-grated nutmeg only a dash of dry mustard if you really have to, and good pasta. I prefer cavatappi because it has a hearty bite, but radiatore is nice too, as it holds a lot of the sauce and is bite-sized. Anything that'll hold sauce is great; the pasta is subjective otherwise.   Don't load up my mac and cheese with lobster,...
Shakshouka is on my must-try list. I have Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi's Jerusalem: A Cookbook and plan to dive into it for shakshouka and many more traditional and "new" recipes.   Someone mentioned fesnejan earlier. I've made it and tasted several versions, including one prepared by a colleague of my husband's who is a native of Iran. It's quite possibly a dish added to Persian cuisine by the Jews many hundreds of years ago, since it includes ingredients used for...
Welcome to Chef Talk, David. I'm a home cook myself and have learned so much here from interacting with the other members, pros and food-lovers alike.   I suggest you make good use of the search tool we have. Chef Talk has been around 14 years, so there's a lot of content here to sift through. You may run across your sushi chef by chance; who knows? Just be aware that if you come across an interesting discussion, the date on it is important to note. If it's long-paused,...