or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Thank you for the introduction, John. You've found another valuable resource in this community, as the members here are a rich source of knowledge you won't find in a book. On top of that, some of the pros here are culinary instructors. Ka-ching! Speaking as a home cook, I like to put in a good word for those of us who are the keepers of other kitchen knowledge- let's call it's Escoffier's granny's lore. You know, the food of one's childhood and the flavor memories you...
Just got back from seeing "100 Foot Journey" in which Helen Mirren   [[SPOILER]]   I made my first key lime pie yesterday. I intended to use a recipe from the King Arthur Flour website but when I consulted some CT members in the general Baking and Pastry forum, I was persuaded to abandon KAF's overly-milky recipe and use @foodnfoto 's tried-and-true formula: four egg yolks, one 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, 1/3 cup key lime juice. The filling was just right....
@foodnfoto, your filling was delicious! Clearly, the recipe from KAF would have been far too milky and not citrusy enough. I wasn't at all wild about the pretzel crust, but it was okay. I ended up serving sweetened whipped cream (I had a can of it in the fridge) but also had some whipping cream, which I didn't sweeten and stabilized with a smidge of corn starch. It held up very well and I didn't have any pie to bring home.   @phatch I could kick myself: I forgot to take...
χαιρετώ! Hello Dimitris and welcome to Chef Talk. This is a most excellent place to ask questions if you are new to cooking and baking. The experienced home cooks and the professionals will gladly answer your questions. Before you post, try using the search tool to see if there has been a discussion about your topic already. If not, choose the best forum for your question and start a new thread.   Please be sure to read the Community Guidelines, which you have agreed...
I made foodnfoto's recipe proportions with the pretzel crust. I didn't use booze because I seem to remember not to use alcohol for one of the people who will eat this, so I'm leaving it out for that reason and no other.   The filling set nicely at about 19 minutes. I let it cool completely on the counter, covered the plate (being careful to avoid touching the surface of the filling) and put it in the fridge by 9 AM. I have whipping cream but I also have five egg whites...
Yeah, I thought there was an awful lot of milk for just four yolks. Your ratio is the same on as on the Nellie and Joe's bottle. The baking time seemed long to me too, but then I never set the timer for the full baking time when I'm doing a recipe for the first time. I always knock off 25% of the time, take a look and go from there. You can always add time. If I were serving this at my house instead of transporting it, I'd probably go with the meringue. I don't have a pie...
Dear @Panini! Always wonderful to see you.    The pie will be baked; do the yolks still need tempering if they're being mixed with the condensed milk and the lime juice? If it were a true custard (which I'm not completely sure this is...?) I would certainly do so. With SO much sugar and the extra-dense protein in the condensed milk, would it still be necessary? King Arthur doesn't say so, but they've been known to make mistakes now and then. (although I'm wild about...
I'm making key lime pie for dessert for dinner tomorrow evening. Can I make this the day before (i.e., more than "overnight")? Do I put plastic wrap on the surface of the pie to prevent skin forming or not worry about that?    Thanks in advance, Mezzaluna   The recipe is from King Arthur Flour website:   Crust: 1 cup + 2 tablespoons very finely ground salted pretzel crumbs 3 tablespoons sugar 7 tablespoons butter, melted   Filling 4 large egg yolks two...
Phatch, you  beat me to the punch with the avgolemono soup. I've made that many times, as well as avgolemono sauce to serve with dolmades.   Shakshuka is on my must-try list, although I'll want to modify the recipe: I do NOT like bell peppers of any color, and since my husband isn't fond of tomatoes, it'll be a dish I'll be eating myself.   I've been making hard-cooked eggs in the oven lately. Two weeks ago I cooked two dozen to make egg salad for myself and the other...