or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Hello Karenp, and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm a home cook myself and retired as well. What kinds of cooking and/or baking do you enjoy most? What are you hoping to learn and share here?   Chef Talk is an amazing place for just that. Our members are from all over the world, all ages, all levels of expertise. Feel free to explore the entire site. But please be aware that the professional forums are "read only" for home cooks like you and me. We can post in the general forums...
Hi Dave from London! London UK? I hate to make assumptions, but I will guess that's the case.    What's your culinary fascination? What do you hope to learn and share here?   As you explore here please remember the entire board and site are open to you to read and enjoy. Just keep in mind that the professional forums are "read only" for us home cooks. We do our posting in the general forums where everyone, pros and home cooks alike, post.    My niece is headed to...
Hello Slowcookersguy, I see you've had no trouble finding out how to post here at Chef Talk. As a moderator I need to be sure you've read the community guidelines before you get over-eager and end up posting in one of the professional forums. Those are 'read-only' for us home cooks, but feel free to luxuriate in the wealth of information there.   Here are the guidelines: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/community-guidelines   If you have any questions ask any moderator or...
I made my first babkas today. I used a dough from Arthur Schwartz's Jewish Home Cooking cookbook, although I didn't do an overnight refrigerator rise as the recipe was written. It didn't seem to matter; the dough looked ready after a 2-1/2 hour rise on the kitchen counter.    I used a commercial cinnamon "schmear" I had from King Arthur Flour on one and added some semi-sweet chocolate chips to the other loaf. I just tasted the cinnamon-only loaf (a thin slice off the...
Hello Jthan. I see you're new to Chef Talk. Welcome!   I've been doing gluten free baking because I have a dear friend who has celiac disease. I realize you're in Germany, so this may not be a reasonable answer for you, but I use King Arthur's products, both their flour and their mixes.    But Cook's Illustrated also has done excellent and exhaustive research into GF baking and has formulated a very good baking mix. I tested some recipes for their first GF cookbook. It...
I use Sm02's method on my gas grill; no reason it wouldn't work on a campfire. I oil the pan. The chicken gets a good sprinkle with lemon juice inside and out, then gets well-seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and other dried herbs. Sometimes I'm in a hurry so I just use Penzeys Mural of Flavor no-salt herb mix. I put the seasoned chicken, untrussed, in the foil pan and put it on the grid over indirect heat, then cover. If you're on an open campfire...
Hello to you, Jthan! We're happy to welcome you to Chef Talk. I'm a home cook myself and can assure you you'll find no better place on the Web to learn from chefs and other home cooks. Period. The best thing about us is that we're willing to share and learn regardless of whether one is a pro, experienced home cook or total noob. Furthermore, our members are from everywhere so you can learn to cook, say, Chilean dishes from Chilean cooks. If someone wants to get the...
Welcome! We look forward to hearing about your adventures and hope you enjoy taking part in the community. Regards, Mezzaluna
Hello Annemarie! Welcome to Chef Talk. What kind of establishment are you working in at present? Does it give you a chance to stretch your wings and try as many of your culinary chops as possible? Where do you see yourself "flying" next?   We hope you'll take some time to have a look round the whole site. We have more than the discussion forums, as engaging as they are: cooking articles, cookbook reviews, reviews of cooking equipment and photo galleries all await you....
Good luck with your interview! Maybe you'll need to change your name here.  (We can help you with that.)    Perhaps you can share your culinary story with us, tell us a bit about how you got your start with cooking, who inspired you, etc.