or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

Moving this discussion out of New Introductions to a more appropriate forum where it'll get better visibility.   Mezzaluna
Thanks for introducing yourself, DaverDown. Your gig sounds very interesting. My nephew just landed in Austin today for campus orientation as a shiny new Longhorn at U-T. Maybe he'll enjoy your food someday soon, if you're in an area around the campus.   We have a growing interest here in alternative diets, although we don't have a forum dedicated specifically to any. I have a close friend with celiac disease so I've become interested in cooking and baking gluten free....
Nothing so exotic for us tonight: Skinless, boneless chicken breasts marinated in ponzu, ginger, garlic, black pepper and a splash of dry sherry, then grilled. Served with mixed green salad with homemade vinaigrette. That's it. After the weekend we eat light.
Hello AMouthful and welcome to Chef Talk.   Many of us here are not professional chefs (I am a home cook myself), and some are career-changers like yourself. You are in good company.   We hope you will take time to visit the FAQ page for the site and read the Community Guidelines http://www.cheftalk.com/a/faq to which we must all adhere. You'll note that we non-professionals are free to read all forums, but must not post in the professional forums. Those are reserved...
Let me add my welcome too!   I have an increasing interest in Austin since my nephew was recently accepted at U-Texas there and will start in the fall. We've never visited the area, but will dig deep into the culinary scene to make the most of our visits there when we do. I look forward to your participation in the community!   Mezzaluna
Hello Grande. Welcome to the community! Why not tell us a bit about your culinary self?   We hope you'll take a tour of the whole Chef Talk site as well as visiting the Chef Talk Facebook page and Pinterest board. The site itself is lots more than only the many discussion forums, too; don't miss the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment forums, photo galleries, and more. The search tool will help you sift through 14 years of content, whether it's recipes or interviews...
I just love to read that. You're fortunate to have found your niche so early and so close to home. Apparently you were a natural from the start. You're right about becoming a chef being tough to master. I'm a home cook and I rankle a bit when I see the title "chef" used by someone who is good at cooking for friends and family and is genuinely interested in food, but doesn't have the training to have earned that title. I've read a lot of history books but don't ever claim...
Welcome to Chef Talk, Shadrap. We're glad you found us. (How did you, by the way? I'm always curious.)   I'm sure you've seen the array of great discussion forums by now, but don't miss out on the cooking articles, cookbook and equipment reviews, photo galleries and more. There's also a Facebook page and a Pinterest board with some great tidbits to browse through as well.    How did you get into cooking? Are there dishes you enjoy making or ingredients you particularly...
I made tacos. I used Mrs. Dash's taco blend rather than the usual Penzeys taco seasoning blend because I'm trying to cut down on sodium. It was really pretty good, and I added just a pinch of Kosher salt to it. My husband thought it was a bit zestier than our usual, but I thought it was more flavorful, not just salty. He was actually tasting the seasonings, not just salt. I loaded mine with cilantro. Yum.
Hello CookingPro! Whether you're a home cook or already a professional working in the industry, this community is an excellent place to share and learn. As our tag line says, "A food lover's link to professional chefs": we treat both respectfully.   That said, our forums do have some guidelines: http://www.cheftalk.com/a/faq Everyone who joins must agree to them, so you've been asked to already.  Home cooks like me are free to read everywhere on the site to our heart's...