or Connect

Posts by Mezzaluna

I have a 7 pound flat cut. I'm going to simmer it 3 hours, let it rest 15 minutes (minimum), then slice it thinly. I have a granton edged slicing knife. I'll leave some unsliced and slice that when it's chilled, just for comparison. I have a FoodSaver so I'll vacuum some of it for the people who will need to taste it and decide if it could possibly be used, or if we have to spend twice the amount or more and buy it from a deli. Personally, I think it's pretty good. This is...
Somewhere on this site (remember, we're well into our 13th year!) there's a thread with links to horrendous 1950s and 60s cookbooks, with outrageous, sometimes sickening recipes made with the most highly-processed ingredients known to humankind. They're American publications, of course! If someone can come up with that thread or a link to the site that has those cookbooks, I'd love to laugh myself to tears once again! I think I provided some of the links myself. Just goes...
Welcome to Chef Talk! You'll find plenty of good information here, and plenty of people who've walked the same path and who can give you insights into the pitfalls and pleasures of this endeavor.   We have much more beyond the discussion forums, including excellent cooking articles and some superb photo galleries. The site has been running for over 13 years, so there's a great depth of information here; you'll want to make good use of the search tool to wend your way...
Sounds like you hit the spot, Teamfat!  
I may need to provide kosher-style corned beef for a deli dinner. I could use some help figuring out shrinkage. I want to figure something like 1/4 pound per sandwich (that seems okay doesn't it?) but I'm not sure how much a wet-packed corned beef shrinks after simmering. Is it as much as 50%? More?   I can get decent corned beef (Sy Ginsberg) at Costco for $3.89/pound. Also, can it be frozen in the package before cooking, in the brine? Or is that a no-no? I'm never sure...
Oh, no! Oh, yes.... I put my first meal on the table 50 years ago, at age 10 or so.  We didn't eat much processed food in our house. My mom didn't cook with Velveeta, cream of fill-in-the-blank soup, prepare casseroles with crushed potato chips on top or deep fry anything- as much as I wished she had! We ate oddly, eclectically for the time. But here are some suggestions, if it's an informal gathering, based on your location (Salt Lake City, Utah USA):   Velveeta...
Hello Chef Hoss! Welcome to Chef Talk. We're happy to have a veteran like you in our midst and hope you'll share your expertise with all of us, pro and home cook alike. Since our members come from all over the world, all ages, all areas of expertise and types of cuisine, you're sure to gather some new ideas and insights; we all do. We also hope you'll enjoy connecting with the chefs, cooks and food-lovers who make this community unique on the internet.    Mediterranean...
Welcome jdndaddy! You're at an exciting stage in your culinary life. I hope you soak it all up..   Chef Talk is a wonderful place to add to your real-world learning experiences. Our members hail from all over the world, all ages, levels of expertise, areas of specialization. We have veteran home cooks and people who can't boil water, too. You'll learn from some and lend your knowledge to others, so we hope you visit often to learn and share.   Besides the discussion...
Hi Meyah! We're glad you found us. You'll find a wealth of information and wonderful connections here to enrich your culinary knowledge and to inspire your quest.    Besides the discussion forums we have excellent cooking articles (there's quite an education in those!), reviews of cookbooks and equipment, a careers tab at the top of the page (which can give you an idea of what employers look for so you can see how to prepare yourself), information on culinary schools, a...
Welcome, Mandlachef! There is a lot to learn here and we hope you'll share, too. Please tell us about your life in the culinary world.