or Connect

Posts by Plongeur

AFP: Foie gras a faux pas, says Prince Charles
FOODSERVICE MONTHLY'S Sauce on the Side: Foie Gras Phobia Meets Its Match in Maryland
It's 520 in my English translation and someone's borrowed my original French copy; there's no mention of 'outside' of carrot. But it could be because, especially with large carrots, the inside bit (different colour when you cut in half, you see it in the middle) is harder than the outer bit so harder to chew.
Foie gras isn't diseased liver. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Mutton can be much tastier than lamb, you're right, I'm just wondering at what age it becomes ethical to eat an animal? As for not eating or serving veal - what do you suggest happens to the 50% of calves born to milk cows that are male? They're the wrong breeds to turn into beef, although I'm sure that happens sometimes. Many are just killed and turned into pet food, or simply buried on farm. BBC -...
Thanks for answering all my questions. Very convincing.
Well, thanks for telling me to go back and read the article again so I can see the obvious things I've clearly missed, stupid me. I'm afraid I'm going to have to be even more stupid and ask you, the clever one here, to point out to me, the stupid one here, how sous vide cooking is dangerous? Yup, I get that sous vide cooking is done in plastic bags. Yup, I get that a 7-year-old, non-peer-reviewed study (the only actual fact cited in the article which is otherwise full of...
Stand up to them. Call the police and tell them you've received a threatening letter. If the letter isn't threatening, research how foie gras isn't any more 'cruel' to produce than grass-fed beef. Read 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' which will give you plenty of ammunition to tell these idiots how there are many better targets than foie gras. Take them on at their own game. Ask them why they choose foie gras rather than fast food's battery chickens, pork and beef? Inform...
Best recommendation I had from here, I think, was to soak dirty jackets in a solution of dishwasher cleaner, not fabric cleaner - the powder/liquid you put in your dishwashing machine. Gets food stains out much more efficiently than washing powder I find. Bleaching won't make your cottons/polyesters white, they go yellowish. I use a 're-whiten your whites' powder sold in the washing powder aisles which makes them shiny white. And ironing them while still slightly damp gets...
I'm scratching my head here and trying to see the link between re-using (multiple times) plastic drinking bottles and cooking food once in a plastic bag. Are they even the same kind of plastic? And what credence should I give to the one, single piece of evidence in the article that (a) dates from 7 years ago and (b) hasn't even been published in a peer-reviewed publication? Or anywhere, for that matter.
Crocs are made from Levirex, which is "one of the most advanced non-toxic recycable materials on the market" - Levirex Finproject Divisione Compounds - Produce Levirex e Pvc This does not excuse them being the ugliest things you can possibly put on your feet. They are so ugly, they should be illegal. No one would be allowed to wear them in my kitchen simply on the grounds that they'd reduce the average prettiness index so far, we'd all need paper bags on our heads.