or Connect

Posts by pastrycake

Hi, I am having a difficult time coming up with a "signature dish" for a amateur baking competition.  I need to bring a sample dish but am unsure if the dish should be what I like or just what others liked.  My friends like my carrot cake but I am more of a chocolate person.  Other favorites are brownies. Anyone have a signature dish?  If so, why this particular dish?
I had the same problem with my first and last time making it but it had a weird acid taste..I used Americas test kitchen recipe.  I think it could be the cream of tartar or something.  I would like to give it another try rather than resorting to regular sugar cookie with cinnamon added. Anyonce has a better recipe or solution?
Hi yall I love to give cookies tin as gifts.  I noticed that Cheryl's catalog online has cookies iced with buttercream.  Anyone knows how to make that kind so that it does not smear?  It looks fluffy and not really an icing?
I have made all 3 carrots from emeril's, bon appetit (without the glaze) and cooks illustrated cooks country cupcake version.   Every year I make a carrot cake for my coworkers birthday.   I have been emeril's recipe twice and this year after tons of research, I made Bon appetit cake and cooks illustrated cooks country cupcake version.    I have learned that modifying carrot cake into cupcake requires different technique such as grating the carrots since the cook...
deltadude, Your recipe seems to have a lot of leavening for only 2 c of flour.  According the bakewise book, baking soda is 4x stronger than baking powder (which already has soda in it).  so, you are using 2 heaping tsp of baking powder and 2 tsp of soda?  Plus you are already whipping up the egg whites and folding them in.  Wouldn't that be way too fluff?  I am learning so much so please correct me.  I just made a modified alton brown and his is similar to yours...
Hey mudbug,  Just wanted to update that I gave your pancake recipe I try and it was delish! I also made the alton brown version and it was fluffy but kinda dense or thick tasting.  It is very similar to the cracker barrel recipe posted here.  But nothing quite the same as the cracker barrel.  I did use melted butter on my pan so it did give a light brown (uneven) and not the signature ring and crisp edge as cracker and barrel restaurant.    Hey Jim:  I am...
I want to give home made gifts by giving out towers of goodies.. I plan to make white chocolate macadamia cookies with dried cherries, rum mini bundt cake, and perhaps something like gourmet popcorn or fancy chocolate covered pretzels.  I figure the popcorn or pretzels can be made ahead.  The last time I tried making gourmet popcorn, turned out to be a mess.  The corn syrup/sugar mixture was hot and barely enough to coat the popcorn.  Then the white chocolate and...
Holiday baking spirit is in the air.  So, I am finally gonna make gingerbread cookies.. at least once I have a recipe. As far as food gifts,  I have made rugelach, sugar cookies, but never gingerbread man. This year I will try to bake some with the kids as our holiday tradition.  I am just not a ginger flavor kind of girl.  But, last year my daughter brought one home from class project and it was quite tasty.  It was firm yet soft in the middle.  And hardly much spices...
I tried to make a rum cake from rosenbaum cake bible but I messed up and it was dry.   Would love to try the kahula cake but the recipe I found also calls for caramel vodka which I do not have.. anyone has a good kahula cake?
CARROT CAKE: 2 cups All-purpose Flour 2 teaspoons Baking Soda ½ teaspoons Salt 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon 3 whole Large Eggs 2 cups Sugar ¾ cups Vegetable Oil ¾ cups Buttermilk 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract 2 cups Grated Carrot 1 can (8 Oz. Can) Crushed Pineapple, Drained 3-½ ounces, weight Flaked Coconut 1 cup Chopped Pecans _____ BUTTERMILK GLAZE: ½ cups Sugar ¾ teaspoons Baking Soda ¼...