or Connect

Posts by pastrycake

Need to make carrot cake cupake.  The cake form recipe calls for oil and the cupcake is butter.  How much mixing is needed when using oil recipe since difficult to tell.  do you even need to use a mixer?  Planning to use american test kitchen recipe for the cupcakes or a rectangle stacked one for easy transporting to work. 
Hi, I failed twice making macarons..only was slightly successful once but most cracked. but, my biggest problem is the batter is too runny and spreads out when piped onto parchment. I aged my 3 eggs whites for a day, 2/3 c of almond meal, 1and 1/2 powder sugar and 3 tbsp of gran sugar. My eggs whites were beaten until stiff peaks and I mixed or macronage about 30 strokes. Am I not mixing long enough or should I let the batter sit a bit before fillng the piping...
cake rocks!
I want a slice.. I would definitely not spit out the seeds with that cake..but can you use chocolate chips as the seeds.  Great coloring on the frosting..fondant right?  
Lalmajid,   I am reading the Bakewise book, and she said that liquid should be more than sugar to dissolve it.  Your cupcake recipe hardly has any liquids beside the eggs, butter, and the 2 tbsp used to dissolve the coffee.   Doesn't it need buttermilk or other liquids?  I am trying to understand formulas and recipes.  I see that the flour is equal to the sugar which is correct according to the book.  Also, the coffee goes into the frosting per your instructions? ...
Hi, I am quite opposite of you.  I prefer my baked goods with butter.  But, what kind of cupcakes are you interested in since there are lots of recipes that uses oil or shortening.  I know since i try to avoid them.  I agree that it does make them moist but flavorless and greasy.  For examples, carrot cupcakes or red velvet often uses oil.  I am reading a baking book called Bakewise by Shirley Corriher that give baking formulas and explanation.  She explains that a...
I just started reading the Bakewise book to understand the science of baking.  I have a few questions.  I would like to try making snickerdoodle cookie.  I am planning to use the America's test kitchen recipe but compared it with martha's stewarts recipe.  both are identical execept martha's has more cinnamon and slightly less flour.  I did noticed that both uses 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup of shortening.  Can anyone explain why shortening in snickerdoodles compared to...
I have taken a few of the wilton classes..They do show you how to frost and do a crumb coating as mentioned.  I even took the class twice since i was having a hard time making the rose and flowers.  But I now plan to take the gum paste flowers class.  I finally made Swiss meringue buttercream for the first time.  I was worried at first since it curdled but I kept adding butter and whipping it.  then, it got fluffy and creamy.  I will never go back to those buttercream...
I just ate a friends new restaurant.  It is a seafood restaurant with cajun menu..kind of like a papadeux targeting to the middle income patrons.  They hired a chef from le cordon bleu.  I am curious how much it would cost to hire a chef. Actually, the restaurant had so many waiters and staff.  So, my friend and a partner just oversees the restaurant.  I dreamed of opening a cafe  and do the baking but have not considered hiring a chef until now.
I tried to bake a batch of fortune cookies for upcoming bridal shower favors.  It was brown at edges but still white the rest.  How do you get them even brown not burnt like restaurant cookies?  I baked them at 375 degrees for 5 minutes as instructed.  Recipe: 2 egg whites, 1/2 tsp almond extract, 1/2 cup of flour and sugar.  If i were to make chocolate version, do I add some cocoa powder?  I plan to dipped them in candy melts and pink sugar pearls for theme...