or Connect

Posts by knightdo

For recipes: Best Recipes from Cook's Illustrated or anything from these thorough Brookliners. Although Joy started me down the path; love it. For fun: Steingarten For not-so-fun but knowledge: Mcghee For depth and passion: Brillat-Savarin & anything by Ed Behr. For a pro: French I, II, and III For a home cook, Mcghee will make you dangerously knowledgable and Cooks Illustrated will save you time. Cheers, Knightdo
epinions.com?
Thanks CHRose. Great place. try www.zingermans.com
I'm with hipjoint. And I love good knives. The difference between the $100 knife and $4900 knife is that the $4900 knife cuts 49 times better. No really. The really expensive japanese carbon steel knives are repeatedly tempered (locking iron into a well organized carbon lattice) of expensive pure carbon steel. This means the knife maker spends weeks swinging a big hammer at a really hot piece of very expensive metal. Your not only paying for the metal and the...
Lobsters can do kooky things. Here's one. Couple of years ago I sat down to eat a lobster prepared the same way, cracked it open, and it was full of a black crude oil like substance. Thick raw crude. I should have taken it to the local fish and wildlife but I mistakenly pitched it. Strange.
Your water might be the problem. Follow jock's advice and use filtered/Britta water at every stage. A little (stress little) madeira also adds a bit of richness.
Scharffenbarger makes those little dark bars with cacao flakes. Great for hiking, climbing, etc. Having said that, the best bar of chocolate I ever had was Valrhona.
Dinks easy recipe (sorry if it is repetitive): Meat: Ground chuck (1/3) and ground sirloin (2/3). Don't add anything. It's a burger, not a mini meatloaf. Home grinding is clearly superior if you have time. If you do decide to homegrind, choose a good cut of meat. Pattify: Handle the meat as little as possible. Make the patties whatever size you deem appropriate accounting for cooking moisture loss. Make them concave on both sides (thinnest in the middle) to...
Holy Moly! That's a Texas beet! No really, California? I grow at 9600 ft above sea level so they never come in that big. Put it through a meat slicer and make a cold salad.
Beautiful veal. The only hangup I had was the wine was to fruity, I used Sauvignon Blanc but should have gone with a dry and loamy chardonnay. Side of simple homegrown chard. Microwaved a hot pocket for lunch. blich.