or Connect

Posts by Cathy Stapleton

You can see picture views of the pages from THE FORME OF CURY at this webpage: Forme of Cury
Thanks for the information, castironchef, that's very fascinating stuff. Now I'm going to do some research of my own on Tutove.
I don't work in the food industry, but what I will say is that, if it turns out to be something highly communicable and your employer has to put out some kind of public alert to people who've eaten in the restaurant during the time period you've been working whilst sick, he/she is probably not going to appreciate you're having come to work. (sarcasm mode on) That always goes down well. (sarcasm mode off)
KYHeirloomer Thanks for your reply. This pin looks like it's been around for quite a few years, so it may be a candidate for being sold in an antique mall. That, and the fact that the only picture I've seen on the web of a rolling pin grooved in this direction makes me think that it may have been the "old-fashioned" way of grooving a Lefse rolling pin. I'm thinking that, for mass-production purposes, they may have discovered that it's easier and cheaper to groove them...
Hi guys. I recently ran across a grooved rolling pin in a thrift store and was wondering if anyone here had ever seen one similar to it. Link to picture of it. It measures 23" from handle to handle. The barrel is 16" in length. I've had a rolling pin that is grooved in the other direction for a while now - it is for rolling out the dough for a Norwegian potato flatbread called Lefse. Lefse rolling pins come in two varieties - grooved around the barrel, and...
One of my first posts here was a plea for help in finding a recipe for Hot Cross Buns that my mother had years ago. One of the people here found the recipe for me online and I thought I'd post it here. They're about the best I've ever tasted. Hot Cross Buns 5 1/2 cups all purpose flour 2 Tbsp. (2 packages) quick rise yeast 1/4 cup granulated sugar 1 1/2 tsp. salt 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon 3/4 tsp. nutmeg 3/4 tsp. allspice 1 cup raisins 1/2 cup mixed peel 3/4 cup...
We used to keep a few laying hens when we had a little hobby farm, and it did happen fairly regularly. It tends to happen more when the hen is getting on in years and her laying days are numbered. You tend to get all manner of strange egg phenomena happening when the hens are just starting out laying, and when they're getting ready to pack it all in. As for why they don't wind up in the cartons we buy at the store here - yes they do candle the eggs and separate the...
Thanks Jayme, I'll try that next time and see if it works out. I prefer scratch cakes myself, but it's still handy to have a cake mix or two around for emergencies - like when you've run out of an ingredient or two necessary for the scratch cake.
Years ago, before the advent of these "pudding already in the mix" cakes that are available these days, the cake mix box used to have instructions printed on it in regards to adding your own package of instant pudding mix to the cake mix in order to make the cake moister. From what I can remember, there was more than just the package of pudding mix to add when you chose to do this, but I can't remember what the other item(s) was/were. I think it may have been extra...
I've got that one too, and it's a very good source of all those recipes that were on packages of food in yesteryear. They reprinted it last year so you can now order new copies of it. And as an added bonus, it's now one of those heavily discounted items. Here's the amazon.com listing for it: Best Recipes from the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars by Ceil Dyer