or Connect

Posts by Cathy Stapleton

Thanks for all the input - it's interesting to hear the different views on this subject. I'll probably just continue to do what I've been doing - the method that they always warn against you using. That being: taking it out to thaw the day before and speeding the process up by setting it in a sink full of water overnight. I've been doing that for years - that's the way my mother and sisters do it as well - and so far we've never had any problems with contaminated...
I don't know if this question has been tackled before, but I can't seem to find this subject doing a search of the message board. I'm wondering how many of you actually thaw your meat items out in the refridgerator? This is because after taking a pound of hamburger out of my chest freezer yesterday, and setting it in the refridgerator to thaw, it's still practically frozen solid after almost 18 hours in the fridge. I can't even imagine how long it would take to thaw...
They might not even recognize them as tomato plants once they're pretty much fully grown if they're like some of the cops in Vancouver, BC. A few years ago there was an elderly man growing tomatoes on his meshed-in porch. Someone reported that he was growing the weed and the cops raided his house. They confiscated all his tomato plants thinking they were marijuana plants. By the time someone pointed out their absolute stupidity the poor old guy's fully grown plants...
LOL o LOL Problem is, now I can't get that Monty Python routine out of my head. Now here's one of my faves that actually appears in a cookbook. It's from the Westcoast Celebrity Cookbook printed in Vancouver Canada in 1985 with the proceeds going to support food projects in Africa. This one was submitted by musician, singer, songwriter Bryan Adams: Typical Adams Lunch 1 14oz can baked beans 2 slices bread butter In a small saucepan, heat beans for 3...
I posted this to another message board so I thought I'd check here and see if the subject had ever come up here. I can't seem to find a recipe for these after doing a search so I thought I'd post the recipe here as well. These are probably the best bars I've ever tasted: The Original Nanaimo Bar Although there is a lot of speculation surrounding the origin of the famous Nanaimo Bar treat, since little solid evidence exists today, the city of Nanaimo has...
I think the beet is strictly to add just a subtle amount of flavour since it is only covered in boiling water and set aside for a period of time. Then the halved beet is just tossed away. It's function seems to be quite negligible, but it must do something. I haven't tried making it and omitting the step with the beet, so I don't know exactly what it does. Now here's a recipe that we make for occasions such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. It's very rich so I...
No, I'm not British, but I do have a significant portion of my roots in Great Britain. My father's parents were both born in the UK, my grandfather was from a place called Risley-Beds in England. And my grandmother was born in Cardiff, Wales; although her father was of English extraction and her mother was Welsh Roma. And my mother's, mother's, mother was Scottish. I descend from the Clan Forbes. My great-great-grandfather was a coachman at Balmoral Castle...
Here in British Columbia we have a city called Grand Forks. Grand Forks is the home to a thriving Doukhabor community. A group of Doukhabor women run a restaurant in town where they serve all manner of fabulous Doukhabor dishes. One of the dishes that they're most famous for is their Russian Borscht. Unlike the shredded beet borscht that most people think of when you say the word "Borscht", this borscht is cabbage-based. You do use a beet during the cooking process,...
Hi Mezzaluna, What do I like to cook? Nothing all that fancy - just plain old "down-home" style cooking mainly. Things that fall into the category of "Comfort Food". Like the Almost Cabbage Rolls recipe I posted further down. I've got a couple of superb potato recipes I'll post here sometime, and a fantastic one for French Oven Stew. I also make a mean chili as well as tomato-based pasta sauce. I'll post a recipe for Russian Borscht in the Recipe section today,...
I just registered yesterday and thought maybe I should post something here. I'm not a professional cook, I just enjoy cooking. I also like to read - lots. I work part-time as a book store clerk, and I'm currently writing a novel based on a real-life event. I'd tell you about it, but then I'd have to shoot you! :lol: I don't seem to be able to find an avatar that I like that isn't being used by someone else here, so I hope that anyone that's using this one...