or Connect

Posts by CakeScraps

Sorry this is after when you need it, but, maybe it'll answer for someone else, too. They just nuked royal icing: Royal Icing: 2 large egg whites 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice 3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined and smooth. The icing needs to be used immediately or transferred to an airtight container as royal icing...
I take mine straight from the oven outta the pan and wrap them in plastic wrap then let them cool. I bake mostly butter type cakes. I do the same as dscheidt and trim the top "hump" and put it to the middle using the flat bottoms as the bottom and top of my layer cakes. Sure can. Just substitute 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of cake flour for every cup of all-purpose called for.
Thank you. Yes. Yes I did. :)
I picked up my first copy a couple of years back for $40 off of Ebay after much waiting (impatiently I may add LOL). It is a 1934 first publishing. I have a second copy from the 1950 publishing that a fellow decorator had given to me when she quit decorating. :bounce: I couldn't agree more that the cakes are gorgeous! The intricateness (is that even a word?) of his designs are incredible! Some of the formulas that are in the book are quite interesting, also. I agree...
Sheesh! Why does nobody ever complain that the caterer, photographer or florist is trying to rip them off? Especially when the photographer is usually twice the price of the cake! Why is it just the price of the cake? As a cake decorator, I don't charge what I do just because I "want in on the money". I am a business just like the local auto mechanic, lawn care guy and day care provider. When was the last time you priced ingredients? Butter here is close to $4.00...
1. What is the best way to get the coloring agents? Visit your local cake decorating supply store. They should stock the colors you need or you can order online. I mean can i use regular food color? No. You'll clog your airbrush as the regular colors from the local grocery are thicker. Should I use the powdered colors mixed with alcohol? Again, I wouldn't suggest it. 2. Are there food grade supplies for the airbrush? I mean I know its common sense not to run...
I know this doesn't help you now, but, it might help someone else. Emulsified shortening is also known as cake, icing or high ratio shortening. It can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular vegetable shortening and gives a finer/smoother texture to cakes while helping to keep them moist, as well as keeping icings more stable. It's mostly used in icings and cakes where the recipe contains a large percentage of sugar. Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening and Sweetex are the...
I prefer the Marshmallow Fondant over regular fondant for the workability of it. I made the flag for this cake from Marshmallow Fondant. http://www.artisticsugarworks.com/html/etc.html It's just rolled to size and then trimmed to neaten the edges and make them straight. The stripes and blue are airbrushed on and the stars are just cut out MMF.
I haven't had an issue with stickiness with Nick's recipe due to hot hands. Now that I said that, I'll end up with that problem! :) Nick's gumpaste recipe uses Tylose powder. You can also use it to make a great gum glue.
You can knead in 1 teaspoon of gum trag per pound and that should help. I use Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe. It is super easy to make (takes less than 10 minutes) and I always have consistent results when making it. It does have a recommended 24 hour maturing period, but, I have used it right after making it and it worked just as it always does after the 24 hour period. It can also be rolled super thin for more lifelike flowers. You can get it online already made, too. I...