or Connect

Posts by castironchef

I just pack my own knives and ignore the slabs of steel with handles in other's kitchens. Less hassle and less frustration that way. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know that this thread is dead, but in case anyone else stumbles by with the same or similar question, here it goes. You can't dehydrate fat. Fat will just laugh at your dehydrator and then go rancid and smelly and dangerous. Cream is mostly fat, so it won't dehydrate. You can successfully dehydrate some fatty foods, but only after you get rid of the fat. E.g., I will take a 5# chub of ground beef and thoroughly brown it, rendering as fat as possible. Then, I will...
You've gotten great advice on food above. However, I'd like to offer some cynical advice on the subject of Valentine's Day. It'll sound EXTREMELY jaded, but someday you'll be mulling it over and realize that I was onto something. Well, maybe you will. So, please take this for what it's worth or not at all. IMHO, Valentine's Day is a trap for men. One year, we have enough time and energy to do some wonderful romantic thing for the lady we love. (Like, for...
I've found that the two stage method works well for cutting down on the loss of crispness. You first cook the fries at a lower temp, say 320F, to get the insides cooked. Then, after cooling, cook the fried a second time at a higher temp, say 375F, to get the outside nice and golden brown. The first cooking will remove some of the moisture from the inside that tends to migrate to the surface after cooking. That is a big factor in "loss of crispness." With the heat...
One word: "microbiology" Well, there's more to the class, but that one topic could easily take up 3 credit units by itself.
Is this what you had in mind? It's a recipe for Rabbit with Pine Nuts & Black Olives - - Coniglio con Pinoli e Olive Nere, posted by someone from Groppo di Treseana in Lunigiana (Tuscany's province of Massa, inland) and that it was a Sunday dish her grandmother used to make when she was little. Rabbit with Pine Nuts & Black Olives - Coniglio con Pinoli e Olive Nere
I'm with Breton on this one. From your questions and your tone, I get the impression that you are well meaning, woefully inexperienced and quite naive. I can just see the glint in the eyes of your employees as they realize that it's open season on everything you own. What is it that makes you qualified to be a restaurant owner, let alone a chain operator? (I don't mean this as an insult, but as a legitimate question.) Most new restaurants die in the first two...
The phrase means cook now, serve later. The methods, though, are numerous and vary depending upon the product, the time and available equipment, etc. For instance, to hold a lasagne for an hour, it can be as easy as keeping it in a warm oven. However, to hold broiled fish would be darned near impossible. To hold a hollandaise sauce, precise temperature control is crucial. In short, there is no one stop answer to how (or whether) to hold products for later service.
It can be a pain to set up a "buy" at a commercial food supplier for a one-time project. However, Costco carries pork butt at good prices. You could also check out other "food warehouse" type operations in your area, such a Smart & Final or Cash & Carry. Also, if you post your location, board members in your area may be able to help with a local source.
I second Japan Woodworker. I have a good friend who works there and the quality is exceptional. (And no I don't get a discount or a referral fee!) Their website is www.japanwoodworker.com.